• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time Sri Lanka XI game

a massive zebra

International Captain
It's kinda a Greenidge/Haynes type of situation with Jayasuriya and Atapattu. Sanath and Marvan have longevity opening together.
Hobbs and Sutcliffe were far more successful an opening pair than Jayasuriya and Atapattu, yet Hutton was selected over Sutcliffe in the England All Time XI game.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
While people are making a case against Atapattu for his minnow runs, Malinga's 74 wickets at over 36 doesnt look too great without Bangladesh.

a massive zebra

International Captain
True, although I know Ashantha de Mel was held in high regard by the Sri Lankans of his generation as a genuine wicket taking threat and his strike rate is pretty good. Yes the average isnt brilliant but he got no support and didnt have the opportunity to pad up his stats against the Bangladeshis. Maybe he is another option.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interestingly enough Cricinfo picked both de Mel and Rumesh Ratnayake in their all time SL XI and batted Vaas at seven. Funny to see that Zoysa and Malinga both played 30 tests yet Zoysa only took 64 wickets to Malinga's 101. I'm guess maybe spin/Murali was slightly less dominant later. Zoysa's higher s/r wouldn't help.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I am going with my gut feeling. The guy is a legend in 200+ partnerships.

Any opener would love to have a partner in him.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That doesn't stop people from picking Sangakkara.
Tell me more - I must confess to never having noticed anything particularly objectionable in Sanga

That said the silly haircut aside I hadn't for Dilshan either, until I read his book, which is Exhibit A to support my allegation of ****ishness against him

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, Sangakkara is one of the most likeable cricketers around, pure class and intelligence.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Sri Lanka XI
1 S Jayasuriya
2 T Dilshan
3 K Sangakkara
4 A de Silva
8 C Vaas
10 L Malinga
11 M Muralitharan