• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What does Kohli need to surpass Tendulkar?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Zinzan you are free to hate emotional Indian fans.

It doesn't have anything to do with Kohli vs. Tendulkar comparison.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is that documentary there on youtube? Looks like families of all great people had to go through some grind in order to make them great. I'm also reminded of how much Einstein's wife had to endure in making him the great physicist he is known today. I must add though that what Mrs. Tendulkar endured should not be compared with the abuse Einstein's wife had to deal with.
Haha. I think he basically told his wife to leave him alone and bring him his tea and meals on time. :p

TheJediBrah

That happens in countries like Australia and New Zealand across sports too you know, again it's just India has a bigger population.
That's just not true. The degree of "fan-ness" of Aus/NZ sports fans is not even in the same galaxy as the degree of Indian cricket fans

Zinzan

That's just not true. The degree of "fan-ness" of Aus/NZ sports fans is not even in the same galaxy as the degree of Indian cricket fans
I won't speak for Australian sports then, but try telling that to Richie McCaw and Dan Carter All Black fans circa 2002-2015. Half the country was in deep mourning following the 2003 & 2007 all black rugby world cup exits, and those two players were basically gods. In fact were jokingly referred to as 'God' (McCaw) and 'Jesus' (Carter) in NZ rugby circles.

You may be unaware, but rugby is bigger than religion in New Zealand, and I'd say is at least the equal to cricket in India in that respect. Again the only key difference being India has a billion people & New Zealand 4.7 million. And when fans talk about McCaw and Carter as rugby players, they don't always smuggle this point about the pressure they played under, instead they just talk up their rugby skills.

Besides, this whole "Sachin batted with more pressure" point was made in comparison to Kohli anyway, as if Kohli isn't Indian.

Zinzan

Zinzan you are free to hate emotional Indian fans.

It doesn't have anything to do with Kohli vs. Tendulkar comparison.
Lol what a stupid response. It's factual & not 'hating' to point out that folks turning off the TV every time one particular batsman gets dismissed and/or expecting one batsman to always win the game for the side, cannot be proper cricket fans, but instead ignorant watchers.

I pay you the respect of assuming you don't behave that way when India play.

Daemon

I won't speak for Australian sports then, but try telling that to Richie McCaw and Dan Carter All Black fans circa 2002-2015. Half the country was in deep mourning following the 2003 & 2007 all black rugby world cup exits, and those two players were basically gods. In fact were jokingly referred to as 'God' (McCaw) and 'Jesus' (Carter) in NZ rugby circles.

You may be unaware, but rugby is bigger than religion in New Zealand, and I'd say is at least the equal to cricket in India in that respect. Again the only key difference being India has a billion people & New Zealand 4.7 million. And when fans talk about McCaw and Carter as rugby players, they don't always smuggle this point about the pressure they played under, instead they just talk up their rugby skills.

Besides, this whole "Sachin batted with more pressure" point was made in comparison to Kohli anyway, as if Kohli isn't Indian.
sigh

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Ok Lara for the Windies and Sanga for SL then.
Still its not the same, there are various factors..
And, in ODIs Sachin was a bigger factor in deciding match results. Also Lara in lower down might have caused many switch offs as well. Who knows?

TheJediBrah

Windies fans probably weren't too upset when Lara got out, they just shrugged and walked off to the beach for another pina colada under a palm tree.

When Tendulkar got out, Indian fans realised they were still in India. It's enough to piss anyone off.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Windies fans probably weren't too upset when Lara got out, they just shrugged and walked off to the beach for another pina colada under a palm tree.

When Tendulkar got out, Indian fans realised they were still in India. It's enough to piss anyone off.
This is pretty much it.

Intersection of an aspirational but insecure 90s era cricket crazy nation and an opening batsmen who could bludgeon world class bowlers all across the field.

These "fans" didn't care about tests. The only test they ever cared about was the Chennai 99 and 01 Kolkata.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Lol what a stupid response. It's factual & not 'hating' to point out that folks turning off the TV every time one particular batsman gets dismissed and/or expecting one batsman to always win the game for the side, cannot be proper cricket fans, but instead ignorant watchers.

I pay you the respect of assuming you don't behave that way when India play.
I disagree that emotional fans who turn off TV are necessarily "ignorant". But please help me understand the relevance of that to Kohli vs. Tendulkar comparison.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kohli is one of the most overrated players in history

Currently, it is Smith >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kohli in tests

To compare Kohli to Tendulkar is nonsense

TheJediBrah

Kohli is pretty much at Smith's level in Tests already tbh, he just hasn't been doing it for long enough for it to be widely accepted. Watch them both over the next few years and I'd be surprised if Kohli's numbers are much lower if at all.

TheJediBrah

Smith does have a bit of batting mental strength over Kohli, I'll give him that. Kohli seems to have borderline personality/behavioural disorders at times. Maybe even psychotic breaks. He's said some seriously weird **** in press conferences.

Smith hasn't always had great behaviour either tbf, but he stays rock solid when he's batting at least.

Slifer

International Captain
Kohli is pretty much at Smith's level in Tests already tbh, he just hasn't been doing it for long enough for it to be widely accepted. Watch them both over the next few years and I'd be surprised if Kohli's numbers are much lower if at all.
No he's not. And I think others have mentioned this before. Kohli has a habit of going completely missing for a series ex away to Eng and home to Oz. Smith has been completely consistent. It's like 90s Sachin vs Lara. Yeah Lara could do the unbelievable at times but Sachin wss just more consistent.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
In ODIs: not much. Basically just hold his results for a few years and do something in the WC.

In tests: it's basically unachievable to surpass Tendulkar in my book. He's always going to have played easier bowlers in easier conditions for a shorter career than Tendulkar. Unless he ends up on a 60+ average and performs basically everywhere he'll be comparable at best in my mind.
So unless he becomes Smith.

Kirkut

International Regular
Haha. I think he basically told his wife to leave him alone and bring him his tea and meals on time. :p
I did read Einstein's letters long time ago, I do not remember the details but what I can recollect is that she was emotionally damaged.