• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What does Kohli need to surpass Tendulkar?

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
How could he be expected to win every game when his average was just the same as a number of other top batsmen of his era? Those who thought that clearly couldn't have been real cricket fans because that's pretty damn stupid & shows they didn't understand how cricket works, and hence shouldn't have even worth worrying about. Same applies to those who turned the TV off once he was dismissed. True Indian cricket fans (like 99% of members here), wouldn't be that fickle.
Tendulkar being the only match winner(+kumble in tests) in the team justifies switching off the TV.

srbhkshk

International Captain
It's there or thereabouts. Besides, it doesn't really change that fact that they couldn't have been real proper cricket fans who would expect any batsman (even Bradman) to win every game, so sounds like they were just passive watchers as opposed to cricket fans. Same applies to anyone who turns off their TV just because their favourite batsmen got dismissed. .
But that's the point, Indian fans used to be and some of them still are extremely rabid about the game. Which other country's fans set fire to the stadiums or throw stones at player's homes or burn posters of the players? They being irrational af is the reason he was under extreme pressure given the team's success or lack of it was practically decided by his performance.

Dawood Ahmad

U19 Vice-Captain
Indian cricket fans in the 90s were as emotional as Brazilian football fans when their team dominated the sport. Fans of both the countries reacted the same way when their teams suffered setbacks.
That adds to the fact that Sachin also beared a lot of pressure from his lovers, just as Kohli.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Sachin and Lara were next champion batsmen since Viv and Sunny in their mid 20s. I don't see same sentiments around today's batsmen. (Kohli in odis yes.. In tests no.) not even for Smith.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But that's the point, Indian fans used to be and some of them still are extremely rabid about the game. Which other country's fans set fire to the stadiums or throw stones at player's homes or burn posters of the players? They being irrational af is the reason he was under extreme pressure given the team's success or lack of it was practically decided by his performance.
The only time I saw Indian fans acting like spoiled brats & lighting the stadium on fire was that WC knockout vs. SL in 1996, and that seemed more a case of India being knocked out by SL, than Tendulkar being dismissed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't ever recall hearing instances of Tendulkar being physically hurt or injured by crazy fans.

Zinzan

Kohli is nowhere near that at this point. I'd have him on par-ish with Smith, Williamson, Root etc as a test batsman.
Kohli is a slightly better test bat that Root, and comfortably better than Williamson imho.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Ok, so essentially the same as Murali was SL, Hadlee for NZ & A Flower for Zim then, except India has a bigger population, ok.
Not same,
None of theses names were that important in deciding match results when they are batting. (as great as Andy was, he was not impacting match results that much.. Especially in Odis)

srbhkshk

International Captain
The only time I saw Indian fans acting like spoiled brats & lighting the stadium on fire was that WC knockout vs. SL in 1996, and that seemed more a case of India being knocked out by SL, than Tendulkar being dismissed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't ever recall hearing instances of Tendulkar being physically hurt or injured by crazy fans.
You seeing that only 1 time is because you don't follow Indian cricket as much as Indian fans do and don't know as much.

Your second point seems to be implying that the only way a person can be in pressure if he is physically hurt/injured, which is false.

Zinzan

Not same,
None of theses names were that important in deciding match results when they are batting. (as great as Andy was, he was not impacting match results that much.. Especially in Odis)
Ok Lara for the Windies and Sanga for SL then.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
It's there or thereabouts. Besides, it doesn't really change that fact that they couldn't have been real proper cricket fans who would expect any batsman (even Bradman) to win every game, so sounds like they were just passive watchers as opposed to cricket fans. Same applies to anyone who turns off their TV just because their favourite batsmen got dismissed. .
In India, cricket is linked to patriotism a lot. You are a great patriot if you wanted India to win the cricket match. It is changing now but it was that case when Sachin played. Hence, the pressure.

Zinzan

You seeing that only 1 time is because you don't follow Indian cricket as much as Indian fans do and don't know as much.
Then enlighten me about these other instances, because you're right, that's the only one I remember.

Your second point seems to be implying that the only way a person can be in pressure if he is physically hurt/injured, which is false.
It was a question because I don't recall talk that his life/physical well-being was under threat. So again, enlighten me.

Chrish

International Debutant
Also Cricket is like the only game in SC. There is no football/ rugby/ Olympics to divide people's attention. So, all the energy/ attention is focused on Cricket.

Zinzan

Bit harsh on Ken? I think he is just as good but will never receive his dues for the obvious reasons.
Not harsh at all, I didn't say KW is not an excellent Test batsman, because clearly he is. I'm just saying imo he's clearly behind the other 3. A long way behind Smith, comfortably behind Kohli and slightly behind Root.

And I say this as a Kiwi.

Zinzan

In India, cricket is linked to patriotism a lot. You are a great patriot if you wanted India to win the cricket match. It is changing now but it was that case when Sachin played. Hence, the pressure.
That happens in countries like Australia and New Zealand across sports too you know, again it's just India has a bigger population.

Kirkut

International Regular
Also, Ms. Tendulkar also says that she hopes her son Arjun doesn't go the same way because she doesn't have energy to go through the same grind again. Made me realize how much she sacrificed to make Tendulkar the phenomena happen! All Indian fans probably owe a bit to her.
Is that documentary there on youtube? Looks like families of all great people had to go through some grind in order to make them great. I'm also reminded of how much Einstein's wife had to endure in making him the great physicist he is known today. I must add though that what Mrs. Tendulkar endured should not be compared with the abuse Einstein's wife had to deal with.