• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What does Kohli need to surpass Tendulkar?

Chrish

International Debutant
I think it's a fair criticism of SRT that he never truly dominated the series against top class attacks in the manner guys like Lara, Dravid or even VVS did. Of course the other players have down-side of their own.

Moreover, I always felt that he was satisfied with scoring hundred and didn't care about batting for longer period of time afterwards where team would have profited more. Main reason he didn't play those iconic match winning mammoth innings that other players did IMO.

sunilz

International Regular
In ODI
Top score in a world cup considering sachin was top scorer in 2 WC. Also score a century in WC SF or final to get the edge
In Test
Atleast average 50 or more outside Asia. He is currently at 46. OR score match winning century in AUS and SA and at least average 40 in england

Victor Ian

International Coach
Hang around long enough for a million test runs to be scored. I'm a bit peeved cricinfo hasn't stolen that gem yet.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
The kind fo pressure Tendulkar use to be put under for the majority of his career is far superior than that of Kohli (or any other batsmen in the history of the game). It's ridiculous how short a memory people have when comparing players. Tendulkar still well in front of Kohli both in ODI's and Tests. Kohli's amazing, but the ODI game has become far easier for the batsmen which is reflected not just in Kohli's numbers, but so many batsmen since that 2 ball rule came into affect and practically took away reverse swing and spin on surfaces that weren't dry. There's hardly any great bowlers around anymore, particularly spinners, when you consider Tendulkar went up against 2 of the greatest spinners of all time multiple times.

It will take a long long time before Kohli gets close to Tendulkar in either format, fortuately for India and Indian fans, he seems incredibly determined to get there, which should make any Indian fan incredibly happy.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The kind fo pressure Tendulkar use to be put under for the majority of his career is far superior than that of Kohli (or any other batsmen in the history of the game). .
This argument gets tired. All elite sportsmen face extra pressure & expectations from fans, because they're really good. It just so happens that India has over a billion people. Do we say that England's greatest ever cricketer would be under more pressure than Bradman, just because England's population was 4 times Australia's at the time?

You just don't hear this used to justify the greatness of other really famous sportsmen in history. Their deeds alone do that.

Daemon

This argument gets tired. All elite sportsmen face extra pressure & expectations from fans, because they're really good. It just so happens that India has over a billion people. Do we say that England's greatest ever cricketer would be under more pressure than Bradman, just because England's population was 4 times Australia's at the time?

You just don't hear this used to justify the greatness of other really famous sportsmen in history. Their deeds alone do that.
There's a difference between 4 times as many fans and 50 times as many rabid bloodthirsty fans though. Slightly different form of stress when one day people are erecting statues and building temples of you and the next day stoning your house with your family inside.

I don't think the pressure argument is a huge factor when rating Tendulkar, but it does add to his legacy a little bit.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Average close to 60 (playing until he's at least 40) or play until he's close to 50 (averaging 50+). Both seem very unlikely to me. Tendulkar's got a massive head start on Kohli by being a lot better in ages 16-25, so Kohli has a lot of catching up to do.

Last edited:

Zinzan

There's a difference between 4 times as many fans and 50 times as many rabid bloodthirsty fans though. Slightly different form of stress when one day people are erecting statues and building temples of you and the next day stoning your house with your family inside.

I don't think the pressure argument is a huge factor when rating Tendulkar, but it does add to his legacy a little bit.
I guess, just feel it detracts from his feats purely as a batsman when this point gets wheeled out every time he's compared with anybody.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's also part of the reason why Bradman (in Australia) is held so highly - he's so strongly associated with the Great Depression era, and something that helped Australians during that period.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
The kind fo pressure Tendulkar use to be put under for the majority of his career is far superior than that of Kohli (or any other batsmen in the history of the game).
While that's true, I also think someone like Kohli is much better at dealing with pressure in general. If you see Sachin Tendulkar's documentary you will learn how much his wife had to take care to ensure Tendulkar stays away from family affairs and can be fully immersed into Cricket even when he is not on field. This level of obsession is honestly his own doing, and is one reason why he missed out some top memorably knocks (rarely makes it to any top 100 innings lists).

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tendulkar definitely not at the same fitness level as Kohli. Looked winded most times he got a daddy hundred.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Tendulkar definitely not at the same fitness level as Kohli. Looked winded most times he got a daddy hundred.
Not many great batsmen come close to Kohli's fitness levels in cricket history. I seriously had goosebumps several times in Sachin's multiple innings when Sachin was motoring on during his prime. I am not too sure if Kohli evokes the same spirit among his fans.

The fan following for Tendulkar is totally different to anyone else. I remember cricinfo for a long time had a separate tab named 'Sachin Tendulkar' in its menu for fans to look up his records.

On the question, statistically, Kohli has a definite chance to beat Tendulkar's records in ODIs and also a remote chance in tests. Most of us here are from the 90s generation or older. Once the Kohli generation and next comes up, Kohli will be preferred to Sachin by them in ATG XIs based on stats.

flibbertyjibber

Game was different when Tendulkar started though, would be fascinating to see what he would have done to adapt to the modern fitness based power game they play now.