• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB de Villiers vs Virat Kohli

Who is better ODI player

• Total voters

Spark

Global Moderator
Chasing a target mostly requires skill and nerve. Setting a total involves a lot more thinking about the future. You have to think about your bowling power and whether you need to do more and be risky or whether you're on target for enough and need to stabilize. The unknown is harder to fight than the known. That's all I meant.
How does this explain ODI chases being disproportionately difficult until very recently, and Test 4th innings chases still being insanely difficult (even when the pitch is holding up)? After all, they all know what they're doing.

There is a reason the conventional wisdom was "runs on the board > chasing, even if it isn't a huge score" until a few years back, because it was true.

akilana

International 12th Man
Its always fun to watch AB score quick high runs and I felt really bad for him when he missed out double ton vs Bangladesh last year (saw that game live). Comparing Kohli and AB would be comparing oranges and apples. They both have their own unique way of batting, they bat at different positions and both have a different role in their respective teams. Kohli looks to stabilize innings in early to mid overs while AB is there to carry forward an already stabilized innings to a great total. If they both switch roles, they will fail to play their roles more often than not. If openers don't give a stable start to South Africa then AB might fail, similarly Kohli might struggle to accelerate the innings if he comes down the order. AB mostly used to open till around 50th innings. Here are some head to head stats, draw your own conclusions.:ph34r:

AB doesn’t need openers setting him up a good foundation. Looks like some people only remember his fastest ton.

shifty_eyes

U19 12th Man
AB doesn’t need openers setting him up a good foundation. Looks like some people only remember his fastest ton.

Well, very much possible that what you are saying is right. I don't usually follow SA cricket ball by ball. If I get time later, I will take a look at AB's performance in different scenarios.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Kohli for stability
Abdv for attack

Sachin for both?

Can some one post Sachin stats between his 20th birthday and 35th birthday? I need to know how does it compares with Viv?

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
how about excluding every player's match where they scored less than 50?
Dont be silly, everyone knows Sachin career was unusually long and he started when he was a school boy.

Player 1 - 10yrs - 40 avg

Player 2
5 yrs 30 avg
10yrs 45 avg
Overall 15yrs 37 avg

So, Who is better?

smash84

The Tiger King
Dont be silly, everyone knows Sachin career was unusually long and he started when he was a school boy.

Player 1 - 10yrs - 40 avg

Player 2
5 yrs 30 avg
10yrs 45 avg
Overall 15yrs 37 avg

So, Who is better?
so it's the other players' fault that Sachin was a boy among men before he came of age?

Chrish

International Debutant
Yeah player should be and will be judged based on their entire career. I personally have never been fan of "peak" concept.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbh why would you remove that part of his career? To average 30 as a teen in ODIs at that time was pretty gun and only adds to his legacy.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah anyone who looks at a teenage Sachin scoring 36 in his third ODI, driving Hadlee down the ground, and thinks "well that's ****ing up his average" is a dumbass.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
True, but they retained their average for not making that mistake
"Mistake" haha.

Any one of those players who "retained their average" would have given anything to play for their country since they were 16.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah anyone who looks at a teenage Sachin scoring 36 in his third ODI, driving Hadlee down the ground, and thinks "well that's ****ing up his average" is a dumbass.

Yeah. Sachin after he started opening in '94 onwards in NZ was a different beast. Even before that, he had a pretty good WC in '92 and played standout knocks against strong attacks like Pakistan and WI as a teenager. Averaging 30+ in those days was more than good enough.