• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is the worst cricketing injury you've had?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Broke my nose when I was about 13 playing on a dodgy park pitch when the ball leapt at me from a length - still remember it well - didn't really hurt at all, but remember being worried by the amount of blood - also vividly recall walking home with the blood pouring down my face and onto my white shirt and the old boy who lived two doors down looking up from his weeding and saying "Did you enjoy your game?"

My mum was horrified and rushed me off to A and E who, naturally, could do nothing except clean me up and pack me off back home - did have two amazing black eyes though, so much so I remember getting permission to wear sunglasses at school, although never understood why,

Oddly it never put me off batting - perhaps I was too young

YorksLanka

International Debutant
ran 30 yds to stop a ball and as I went to slide, my knee stuck in a dry patch of soil, it went one way I went the other.. result was a ruptured patellar tendon and fractured knee where tendon ripped out of it..i knew it wasn't good when I looked at my swollen knee( once I came round) and noticed my knee joint was midway up my thigh..that was 7 years ago and whilst it has never been the same but I am upright and still playing cricket..knew I shouldn't be running unless something is actually chasing me..

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hurt my thumb trying to take a catch on the boundary, only succeeded in parrying it for 6 over the line. It was swollen badly for a couple of days.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nothing exceptional. Tore my hamstring fielding late last year and had to shuffle around for a week or so and miss out on the rest of the year's matches. Also took a fantastic blow on the shin when running in to bowl at training last week from a drive out of the next net. Middled it better than anything I have with the bat for years. Big swelling, a bit of bleeding and it's still sore and amazingly there's no bruising visible at all but I can feel a bit of a haematoma a bit deeper.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sunstroke from watching a cloudy day's Test cricket at Old Trafford. Didn't see the sun all day yet somehow I managed to catch it.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I also broke my nose playing cricket as a kid. I was playing with my step brother and his friend and was the only fielder.

The batsman hit it in the air, causing the mid-on fielder (me) to chase after it while it hung in the air. My technique for keeping my eyes up and on the ball was absolutely textbook, but the textbook does not warn you to look out for metal climbing frames in the park.

srbhkshk

International Captain
1. Got a black eye after getting hit by a crap throw from a crap fielder.
2. Started seeing everything in 2 after getting hit by a ball with a bad bounce while keeping wickets. Lasted for a couple hours and was far more scary than the first one although that hurt more.

Last edited:

ajdude

International Coach
facing a bowling machine going about 120 clicks when i was about 17 which isn't super fast, was practicing pulling and hooking and ended up with a ball wedged between my helmet and my grill, only a small split near my eyebrow. then a couple of years back i went for a caught and bowled chance where i had to dive forward onto the pitch but copped a half volley and it hit me under the eye on the bone, ended up with a lovely black eye and five wickets

Bijed

International Regular
Had the ball chucked straight into the back of my head once. Got me just behind the ear and left me feeling sick and dizzy. Probably the worst delivery I've ever bowled tbh.

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
I still recall the day when fielding and the cricket ball broke my ice cream :(
I must say that my afternoon was made more enjoyable by the mental image of you attempting to field with an ice cream cone in one hand only for disaster to strike when you valiantly attempted to take a catch with it :p

Burgey

Aside from the usual broken fingers and hands, I was practising as an 11 year old at an indoor academy place and the coach thought it would be a good idea to put an under 16 state bowler on. He bounced me (probably wasn’t that short but I was 11) and because I’m Australian I naturally took it on rather than duck under it or flinch like someone from a lesser nation. It cracked me on the temporal and the plastic ear piece of the helmet (it was in 1981) cracked in half.

Spent a few days in hospital with really bad concussion. Got a new helmet out of it from C&D Albion who, subsequent to my injury increased the thickness of helmet visors and ear pieces around he world from 1mm to 3mm. My lasting legacy to Cricket .

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Broken and depressed fracture of my cheekbone from a beamer (no lid). My team-mates apparently (ones who weren't watching) thought I'd cracked a pull shot for four, such was the noise. Surgery involved inserting a balloon behind the cheekbone and inflating it to push it back out. That ended my rugby career too, and I'm pretty sure I never played the short ball as well after that.

vcs

Hurt my pride in the nets leaving an off break delivery
I hurt mine as well trying to reverse sweep without having worn a box, couldn't play with my "pride" for quite a few days after that

Burgey

Broken and depressed fracture of my cheekbone from a beamer (no lid). My team-mates apparently (ones who weren't watching) thought I'd cracked a pull shot for four, such was the noise. Surgery involved inserting a balloon behind the cheekbone and inflating it to push it back out. That ended my rugby career too, and I'm pretty sure I never played the short ball as well after that.
Yikes. That’s a shocker

Daemon

Had a concussion and vertigo that lasted for a few days after. Batsman from the neighbouring ground hit a huge six and it landed on my head while I was fielding in the deep in another game. People shouted 'watch' just at the right moment for me to avoid getting hit on the back of my head. Was out for a few seconds I think because I recall opening my eyes to people trying to pull me up.

Pretty much nothing else besides lots of finger ligament injuries from keeping.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
This wasnt me but it was the most impressive injury I've seen.

We were mucking around with the bowling machine one night (with the dimpled yellow balls), around the time when Lee and Akhtar and Tait were all going full tilt. We decided to crank it to 160kmh to see if we could play it, and we showed we couldn't.

A mate is batting and he says wind it up as fast as it can go. He is in the nets with full protection. Anyway, I think the limit is about 190.

He tries to play a few and misses. Then one hits him, on his back leg, right between the thigh pad and the pad.

He goes down and we are all worried and then he laughs and we laugh etc etc.

The impressive thing was the bruise that developed over the next 2 weeks though. Over time the bruise turned black and blue and purple but the whole way thru you could see a mirror image of the balls dimples in his skin. Hit him so hard that the bruising where the dimples weren't went much deeper than where they are. Absolutely amazing to look at it develop. Not sure I've conveyed it well here but it was super impressive, as the bruise got bigger so did the relief spots on his leg!