Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Hashim Amla- the most misleading odi stats ever

School Boy/Girl Captain

Hashim Amla- the most misleading odi stats ever

Often hailed as one of the best odi batsmen of his generation and also among top 10 odi batsmen of his era(which is hillarious), the most funny part is that here hasnt been an odi batsmen which has the most misleading stats you could ever ask for.

A test batting average of 51 at a Strike Rate of 90 is a gold for any opening batsmen. However, these stats only shows how misleading his numbers are.

Against non-minnows, Amla's average drops from a whooping 51 to only a more than decent 44 at a SR of 85. Moreover, here are his stats against two best teams of his era- Australia and India.

Australia- 33
    India- 38

Yet these stats dont explain how misleading his odi legacy is as compared to his figures in limited overs. Till now , he has failed in every single ICC tournament and only recently manged to score his first hundred against a non-associate team(SL) in a low-pressure game. There hasn't been a bigger bottler and minnow basher like Amla in odis.

As far as openers is concerned, I would look beyond statistics and won't even rate him among top5 openers of all-time.

Tendulkar
    Greendige
    Jayasuriya
    Gilchrist
    Anwar

The time has come for everyone to accept that Amla is not in the same leagues as Kohli and de Villiers in limited overs formats and is nowhere near the top 10 odi batsmen of all-time.

International Captain Starfighter's Avatar
    This sounds like a whinge.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    This sounds like a whinge.
    Just letting everyone and his fans(in particular) know the truth.

Cricketer Of The Year TheJediBrah's Avatar
    I more or less agree with him tbh. He makes good points.

Amla's a good ODI player, but nowhere near as good as his stats suggest, or as some people rate him.
    Daemon likes this.

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    I more or less agree with him tbh. He makes good points.

Amla's a good ODI player, but nowhere near as good as his stats suggest, or as some people rate him.
    But even if that's the case, are his stats really "the most misleading ever"?

Cricketer Of The Year TheJediBrah's Avatar
    It's an exaggeration to make his point, you're not supposed to take it literally

Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    It's an exaggeration to make his point, you're not supposed to take it literally
    But it's the Most Misleading thread title ever
    Want every conversation to be about cricket? Download your copy of The Cricketer's Lexicon now! It's a constantly evolving project, so contribute here!

Gob
    Quote Originally Posted by RK_123 View Post
    Just letting everyone and his fans(in particular) know the truth.
    Its out there bro
    Dead Dove Do Not Eat

Virat-Vaughan-Amla

School Boy/Girl Captain
    There is no ODI batsmen with as misleading stats as one could look for.

1)No great run-chase under pressure
    2) Not a single quality inning in ICC tournaments against a top opponent
    3) Exclude minnows and that avg slips down from 51 to 44.

International Captain Starfighter's Avatar
    Exclude all the innings which he scored runs in and we find he averages zero! Ain't statistics grand?

Sobers has an ODI batting average of 0 at the strike rate of 0 fwiw.

Tad bit more misleading than Amla having the same average and SR as Tendulkar does after excluding minnows.
    Shady Slim likes this.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Averaging 44 in ODIs is pretty good although I agree he's not as good as some people seem to think he is.

I always find the minnow bashing argument strange. It's almost as if people would rate him higher if his average wasn't higher against lower quality opposition. I mean, what is the man supposed to do when he plays them? Fail miserably?
    GRAB likes this.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

Keith Arthurton has the most misleading stats in ODIs.

Tf you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Himannv View Post
    Averaging 44 in ODIs is pretty good although I agree he's not as good as some people seem to think he is.

I always find the minnow bashing argument strange. It's almost as if people would rate him higher if his average wasn't higher against lower quality opposition. I mean, what is the man supposed to do when he plays them? Fail miserably?
    The perfect batsman will average 0 against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.
    ATG Test XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. S.R Tendulkar 5. W.R Hammond 6. G.S Sobers 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. Richard Hadlee 9. M.D Marshall 10. S.K Warne 11. G.D McGrath

Quote Originally Posted by Himannv View Post

Yeah, I feel that people sometimes can focus too much on the gap between minnow & non-minnow performances, even when the latter is still perfectly good and, whilst I appreciate that this is just semantics also tend to frame it as 'they average x amount less against quality opposition' which is reasonable enough if their record against non-minnows isn't actually very good, if it is still good (as it is with Amla's), then it can feel a bit like trying to portray them unnecessarily negatively.

That said, I don't actually disagree with the OP's general point in that Amla's ODI stats probably do flatter him a bit more than is normal for ODI stats (although it also seems a little unfair to say that 'Against non-minnows, Amla's average drops from a whooping 51 to only a more than decent 44 at a SR of 85' when someone with that as a career record would in all probability have padded their stats against weaker opposition to an extent too).

On the subject, however, I'm never 100% on board with just splitting out and pretty well discounting stats against minnows (which itself hardly capture the different levels of quality possessed by all teams, whether they fall under the 'minnow' tag or not) - don't disagree with such stats counting for less, but don't just ignore them - it always takes a good degree of skill and ability to make big runs quickly.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information