cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Rules query - bowling/fielding

Cricketer Of The Year TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Whenever I have the occasional bowl the team I'm playing in must already be in diabolical trouble, so there's nothing to lose. I often bowl these sorts of things as a variation, because it's the only variation I have. But I always make a point of telling the batsman and umpire they're coming.

Picked up 3 fer filling in doing this sort of thing in November. The usual **** - set your field and say to the bloke at deep mid wicket "come in about ten for the one he doesn't quite get to and top edges" etc etc.

Anyway, I said to the batsman and umpire "Watch this - more air than Qantas" and tossed this thing about 8-9 feet in the air. He ran down the deck, but there was a huge cross wind and it drifted away (completely by accident). He missed it and Burgeinho took an easy stumping. Another bloke tried to pull one and missed it - lbw, a third hit one straight to said deep mid wicket. Was pretty funny.

I mean, we lost by ten wickets, but 3-14 off four is decent.
    story doesn't add up, if you lost by 10 wickets then your team didn't take any wickets
    zorax and Daemon like this.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    It makes plenty of sense if we batted first, the wickets were taken in their first innings as they passed us before they declared overnight, we batted again and they passed us none down in the second dig.
    Adders and Bijed like this.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo...
    Hang on,,,,,the **** is going on here?? Multiple innings cricket??? That's a great idea, they should try it.......reckon it could take off you know.
    zorax likes this.
    Young Jonny Bairstow.......you are the love of my life,
    Young Jonny Bairstow.......I'd let you shag my wife,
    Young Jonny Bairstow......I want ginger hair too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQLKzKjJtUw

I still think they should do the 3 innings a side game that I suggested. 1 timeless Innings, one 50-over innings and 20-over innings. That would be great to watch.
    zorax likes this.

International Debutant Victor Ian's Avatar
    That would actually be very interesting as you'd have to go in with 5 bowlers. Good for Australia though with Smith scoring all his centuries in the first innings

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    If you're going to do that you should try to lob the ball into the stumps over the batter's head.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Would be a no-ball. A delivery crossing the batsman at his normal stance on the popping crease above waist height is a no-ball. If it goes on to hit the stumps it is still a no-ball, because the no-ball precedes whatever happens after that.
    Charles Palmer of Leicestershire (he also played for England once in 1954) used to bowl a donkey drop which, according to some, he tossed up to 30 feet into the air. He got quite a few wickets with it dropping it on the stumps or persuading panicking batsmen to give a catch - it's so different from a beamer it's a shame it's now caught by the same law
    srbhkshk likes this.

Reckon they should change the law so that a full toss over head height is not a no-ball if it drops enough to hit the stumps
    Daemon likes this.

Personally I think the rule should be it's a noball for any delivery that crosses above the stumps without bouncing and not the batsman's waist at the popping crease. Would be easier to enforce too.
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Nah **** it. Worst rule ever was making waist high balls from spinners no balls. You want them to bowl you six waist high full tosses ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Whenever I have the occasional bowl the team I'm playing in must already be in diabolical trouble, so there's nothing to lose. I often bowl these sorts of things as a variation, because it's the only variation I have. But I always make a point of telling the batsman and umpire they're coming.

Picked up 3 fer filling in doing this sort of thing in November. The usual **** - set your field and say to the bloke at deep mid wicket "come in about ten for the one he doesn't quite get to and top edges" etc etc.

Anyway, I said to the batsman and umpire "Watch this - more air than Qantas" and tossed this thing about 8-9 feet in the air. He ran down the deck, but there was a huge cross wind and it drifted away (completely by accident). He missed it and Burgeinho took an easy stumping. Another bloke tried to pull one and missed it - lbw, a third hit one straight to said deep mid wicket. Was pretty funny.

I mean, we lost by ten wickets, but 3-14 off four is decent.
    This was on EA Cricket 2007 right?
    Want every conversation to be about cricket? Download your copy of The Cricketer's Lexicon now! It's a constantly evolving project, so contribute here!

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bijed View Post
    This was on EA Cricket 2007 right?
    Nah that was pitching the ball as slow and as short as possible to trick the batsman into going onto the backfoot. I used to use Ganguly to do the dirty deed iirc.
    zorax and Bijed like this.

State 12th Man
    An old boy at our club plays one of two Sunday friendlies a year and bowls like this. He always takes wickets. The batsmen aren't great they try to smash it as hard as possible their bound to not middle it sooner or later.
    He doesn't run down the pitch and stand at silly mid on mind you
    zorax likes this.

Cricket Spectator
    Hey folk, forgot I posted this.
    Great replies from everyone thanks!!
    Regarding the rule on not running down the pitch past a certain point, could anyone enlighten me on where that is?

Regarding getting tonked and being not the smartest to run to silly mid on - I play cricket for fun so those sort of things don't worry me as much as they probably should.
    Example: last game I opened with one pad (one has lost a strap) no helmet (haven't bothered getting used to having my vision restricted) and no shoes (forgot them) on a concrete pitch. I'd been told the opening bowler was quick, but he turned out to be ~10kph quicker than anything I'd ever faced

Fun times. The love of the game is why I don't mind risking a broken hand or rib for a once in a lifetime catch off the worst bowling you see at silly mid off.

Oh, and re the no ball above the waist rule applying to slow bowling now - when did that start? It slipped by me.

Would be a no-ball. A delivery crossing the batsman at his normal stance on the popping crease above waist height is a no-ball. If it goes on to hit the stumps it is still a no-ball, because the no-ball precedes whatever happens after that.
    That's not true afaik. If a waist high ball hish the stump it can't be ruled a no ball.
    RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

International Regular a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Is it even possible to bowl it slower than 40 mph. And if it was, has any batsman actually faced such bowling and been able to hit it? Have you? I know I've probably not faced anything slower than that - the only times I've batted to a bowler who struggles to get it across the pitch I know that personally, I haven't be able to generate a lot of power behind the shot. But I'm a crap batsman.

I just haven't seen any good batsman in that scenario either.
    I'm pretty sure Darryl Cullinan was timed at 34 mph in the Test Match against England at Headingley in 1998. I was at that match and remember being amazed by the speed gun when Cullinan turned his arm over. Pretty much all his deliveries were timed at under 40 mph IIRC.
    Last edited by a massive zebra; 13-02-2018 at 09:38 AM.
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information