• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Best Batsmen 26-50

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Crowe averaged less than cook batting at no.4 lol
Talk about eras but its just another one of those threads where everyone reminiscis about how much better the game was 'back then.'
Yeah! Lets just rank them by averages!

Brian Lara

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah, Faulkner is very borderline on whether or not he should be here to be honest.

Anyway, we are likely to spend days arguing about who makes or who doesn't make the cut so let's just rank the batsmen we have here for now and like I said, we can make adjustments and re-ranks to the list at a later date.

Edit - if I recall correctly, Mr Mister took a sample of 25 different lists so it would be great to get that kind of number again!

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
Yeah, Faulkner is very borderline on whether or not he should be here to be honest.

Anyway, we are likely to spend days arguing about who makes or who doesn't make the cut so let's just rank the batsmen we have here for now and like I said, we can make adjustments and re-ranks to the list at a later date.

Edit - if I recall correctly, Mr Mister took a sample of 25 different lists so it would be great to get that kind of number again!
Forkers was good for a while but no way i'd have him this high

Tom Flint

International Regular
Yeah! Lets just rank them by averages!
Pretty sure that's what everyone does with cook.
And a batsmen's average basically tells you roughly how many runs they score each innings. Which is a good way of seeing how good they were/are

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed. Averages should never be taken as gospel. Averages do not reflect the quality of the bowling attack faced, the state of the pitch/ball/outfield, the match situation, the amount of chances missed/taken by the fielding team, the mindset of the umpires, weather conditions and a few other variables I'm sure.

Brian Lara

School Boy/Girl Captain
Forkers was good for a while but no way i'd have him this high
OK, then let's replace him. Who would you put instead of Faulkner? Gooch? Cook? Macartney? Walters? Hussey? Laxman?

Steve Smith >>> Faulkner
Mr Mister excluded Smith from his ranking by virtue of people thinking he was too tough to rank right now with so much of his career still to go. I was thinking of passing on Smith for the same reason but if people want Smith on the list I'll happily add him.

haha yeah Faulkner shouldn't be in this discussion at all, with due respect
Yeah, to be honest he was the guy I was thinking could be changed. Who would you replace him with?

Question to everyone
If we take out Faulkner, who shall we add from this list?
Cook
Gooch
Pietersen
Walters
Hussey
Macartney
Hill
Morris
Lawry
Abbas
Laxman
Merchant
Jayawardene
Shrewsbury

Last edited:

Tom Flint

International Regular
Indeed. Averages should never be taken as gospel. Averages do not reflect the quality of the bowling attack faced, the state of the pitch/ball/outfield, the match situation, the amount of chances missed/taken by the fielding team, the mindset of the umpires, weather conditions and a few other variables I'm sure.
Lol on there hole all those factors even themselves out after youve played hundred odd tests.
And to say bowling was better 20/30 years ago goes against all logic.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol on there hole all those factors even themselves out after youve played hundred odd tests.
Yeah that was a weird point. When you've played a lot over a long period of time then average does take into account all of those things . . . it's an average.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah that was a weird point. When you've played a lot over a long period of time then average does take into account all of those things . . . it's an average.
Principally speaking, batting & bowling averages are mathematical values derived from runs/innings or wickets/runs. However, there are many outliers that must be considered when looking at averages (not outs for example), and therefore they are not definitive. The whole notion of "yeah but, the good luck & bad luck evens out after a while" doesn't hold any weight in a mathematical context. It has been long established in the world of cricket statistics that averages aren't perfect, this is why you see people creating new formulas such as the ones used for cricrate, or for those articles you sometimes see on cricinfo.