• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Trans-Tasman Twenty20 Tri-Series

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
You're right, that's a simpleton's viewpoint on such an instance (and I only speak for myself and the commentators on that). I didn't watch the replay because I'd thrown my head back in frustration, presuming he'd been watching an over of wrong-uns and had forgotten to actually watch the hand. Having said that, he's exhibited previously the art of bat-watching over ball watching.

Never been a spinner so it surprises me a bit that a slider can turn that sharply. No wonder Agar or Seifert got near it if so.
Normally it doesn't, it's all just side spin with a scrambled seam to increase the likelihood that it will skid on. But when there's a bit of give in the surface (some rain on it, especially) it can really rip and go because it is more likely to catch in the wicket.

If you end up seeing any replays, reckon it's the same type of ball that got Warner out (look at the seam more than the wrist) - Warner's did him for pace more than anything else, having skidded on quite quickly as he hoped.

Last edited:

Moss

International Vice-Captain
The positives for NZ are that Sodhi and Munro have shown they're capable of maintaining recent standards against better quality opposition. Sodhi especially is a gun in T20 at the moment; I'm hoping he can end up as a last minute IPL pick. Munro's next challenge is to improve his output away from NZ, would really benefit from some game time in the IPL.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The positives for NZ are that Sodhi and Munro have shown they're capable of maintaining recent standards against better quality opposition. Sodhi especially is a gun in T20 at the moment; I'm hoping he can end up as a last minute IPL pick. Munro's next challenge is to improve his output away from NZ, would really benefit from some game time in the IPL.
Yeah, I kept expecting Munro to come unstuck once he got exposed to better quality bowling as the season went on, but he's generally been good. No longer hostile to the idea of him being a potential test call-up should Nicholls or CdG fall away

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah, I kept expecting Munro to come unstuck once he got exposed to better quality bowling as the season went on, but he's generally been good. No longer hostile to the idea of him being a potential test call-up should Nicholls or CdG fall away
This is a good point Munro genuinely impressed.Hes definitely agricultural but hes not a domestic basher either.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
So did I. The thing that really impressed me is how well he picks up changes of pace and reacts to it. I think Australia saw it as a possible point of weakness but he's obviously seeing it so well and watching the ball so hard, it's working for him. He's a very mature member of this side now. There's a real sense of pride in seeing a guy who debuted in FC as a #11, who is now an opening bat and bowls little cutters, who can score runs against good attacks - v Australia, in India etc.

I've been pushing him for the Test side for 3 years, not expecting it to happen anytime soon. Fairly hard to be displaced in a side that plays half a dozen Tests a year, in any case.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I feel vindicated about Munro looking decent against good white ball attacks, and still feel bullish about him as an ultra attacking Test no. 5 option (in the McCullum vain) as I've been pumping him up for years and have often been rubbished and told his good FC record is only a function of him playing his cricket at Eden Park.

TBF, I think SteveNZ is the only other regular Munro believer on here over the years.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I feel vindicated about Munro looking decent against good white ball attacks, and still feel bullish about him as an ultra attacking Test no. 5 option (in the McCullum vain) as I've been pumping him up for years and have often been rubbished and told his good FC record is only a function of him playing his cricket at Eden Park.

TBF, I think SteveNZ is the only other regular Munro believer on here over the years.
I'm not a sycophant either, I love the bloke but I've always been realistic about where he's at. I just think he was consistently dudded in terms of being picked for the Test side a couple of years ago because of a Test he should never have been picked for in 2012. Nicholls has come in and gone OK, played that one amazing innings v SA that at the time I said Colin couldn't have played. But gee, our Test side could have a different feel to it if we had Manu coming in at 5 and wacking it, with Kane, Ross and BJ around him. It'll probably never happen now though, not when he doesn't offer a Test bowling option and we don't play enough to justify droppings.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I found some of the skepticism about him earlier this season, given the quality of our opposition, etc, a bit weird - considering he notched a T20 hundred in India a few months earlier. A place where a few of our batsmen really struggle.

After that I would personally have had him in the test team ... I hope he gets a chance at some stage. He's only just coming up on 31, so still plenty of years left in him yet.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think a fair few blokes have wanted Munro in the team for a while.
Yeah, after he started scoring big runs at four in PS - which was two seasons ago I think - I changed my opinion from "I'm too sceptical, wouldn't pick him in Tests" to "I'm still sceptical but there comes a point where these epic performances should count for more than my scepticism, and there's a massive potential upside here, so I'd give him a chance to prove me wrong."

We're now at the point where he's starting to score runs against quality bowlers with the new ball in ODIs as well. I don't think the selectors need to knee-jerk drop someone, but he probably should've already played at one point, and he should definitely be next cab off the rank.