• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Trans-Tasman Twenty20 Tri-Series

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Admittedly I don't follow T20 cricket that closely and haven't analysed his numbers with a fine tooth comb (past IPL performances, performances in the subcontinent etc), but you'd have to say Guppy is genuinely unlucky to not be an IPL regular, surely?

Has a (if I understand T20 stats at all) good record at both international and domestic level, obviously has excellent white ball pedigree generally, and he would seem to meet all the requirements for an exciting modern cricketer given his long-levered, hit through the line, deal in DLF maximums style and renowned athleticism in the field.

I don't want to be seen as an ongoing CDG-basher but even taking into account his T20-friendly batting style, it seems demonstrably odd to me that a much less touted and well-known player and obviously lesser batsman gets a gig while Guppy doesn't. Just as an example.

I feel like NZ fans tend to be hyper-cynical and we will go out of our way to explain why are players aren't getting the plaudits they probably deserve but sometimes **** just happens and deserving people miss out, right?
Of course IPL contracts have never been fair or even. Lesser players get picked up where better players don't, or get paid far more than they deserve while better players get paid less, all the time.

Just look at Tymal Mills last year. It's the nature of the beast.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Pick and choose your cricket. There is so much of the stuff on that you can easily ditch the twenty20s and one-dayers and find a fair amount of test/first-class stuff to watch. That is what I do.

Zinzan

Admittedly I don't follow T20 cricket that closely and haven't analysed his numbers with a fine tooth comb (past IPL performances, performances in the subcontinent etc), but you'd have to say Guppy is genuinely unlucky to not be an IPL regular, surely?

Has a (if I understand T20 stats at all) good record at both international and domestic level, obviously has excellent white ball pedigree generally, and he would seem to meet all the requirements for an exciting modern cricketer given his long-levered, hit through the line, deal in DLF maximums style and renowned athleticism in the field.

I don't want to be seen as an ongoing CDG-basher but even taking into account his T20-friendly batting style, it seems demonstrably odd to me that a much less touted and well-known player and obviously lesser batsman gets a gig while Guppy doesn't. Just as an example.

I feel like NZ fans tend to be hyper-cynical and we will go out of our way to explain why are players aren't getting the plaudits they probably deserve but sometimes **** just happens and deserving people miss out, right?
Surprised people are still shocked by some of the strange omissions in securing IPL contracts over the years, and there's been much more peculiar ones than Guptill

It's patently more to do with marketability than getting the best players, and this has been obvious to anyone even taking a mild interest in the IPL for the last decade or so. Someone made a good point the other day, that from a revenue perspective it's probably better to play to Australian TV audiences than New Zealand ones (all other things even) and in addition to that the BIg Bash seems to be a thing in India that gets followed with some interest, whereas I'd be surprised if many Indian cricket fans have even heard of the Georgie Pie/BK smash (or whatever the latest name for it is for NZ's tournament).

All that said, the other things that count against Guppy is 1) he's not great against spin, 2) he hasn't performed well in the few chances he's had in IPL and 3) his lack of intent in the last couple of chases vs. Pakistan probably didn't go unnoticed either. Frankly speaking he's just not the smartest batsmen going around when you consider nous and playing percentages.

I wrote the other day that the great irony with Guptill is he'll score 50 off 20 balls in a small chase against Bangers or SL when we don't need to score fast, yet when we need to chase 10 runs an over from the get-go, he plays in a restricted manner, even leaving a couple of balls outside off, which is unforgivable in T20s when chasing over 10s. It's frustrating given he is one of the sweetest and cleanest hitters of a cricket ball I've ever seen, so he's certainly not lacking in natural ability, just sadly ties himself into mental knots at times.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Further more TH, CDG is a valuable addition to any T20 set-up, and his bowling proved surprisingly effective in Indian conditions last year which saw him get plenty of game time, so it's no surprise at all he got bought over Guptill.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Not trying to suggest that they aren't great players, or even the best players, but it's pretty hard to put any stock into International T20 Player rankings. For obvious reasons.
Oh I know. I don't put any stocks into it - I was more bagging the Aussie comms whose research will be "who are these guys" "they were/are ranked #1" "ok, research done"

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Flem is right, it's amazing how much we don't give a **** about a 'tournament' that starts tomorrow. I'd be fired up if it was a CH game or anything else but not at all excited about this. Is that the public's vibe too? Or just us cricket cynics? Or will it kick up in NZ in the home games? Doesn't feel that way to me

Whilst on the IPL thing, I don't understand the non marketability of Ish. Dude is good looking, tall, well spoken, was ranked #1, killed it in a short stint in Big Bash, and is of Indian descent. What else do they want? Ok he can't really field that well and isn't much of a batting option but **** it seems he ticks so many boxes.

Burgey

Zinzan, the ipl isn’t on tv here and hasn’t been for several years.

S.Kennedy

I do not sense the slightest interest in England for this either. From an England and no doubt an Australian perspective it feels like complete overkill, the fag end of an Ashes that began in November.

Last edited:

Daemon

Flem is right, it's amazing how much we don't give a **** about a 'tournament' that starts tomorrow. I'd be fired up if it was a CH game or anything else but not at all excited about this. Is that the public's vibe too? Or just us cricket cynics? Or will it kick up in NZ in the home games? Doesn't feel that way to me

Whilst on the IPL thing, I don't understand the non marketability of Ish. Dude is good looking, tall, well spoken, was ranked #1, killed it in a short stint in Big Bash, and is of Indian descent. What else do they want? Ok he can't really field that well and isn't much of a batting option but **** it seems he ticks so many boxes.
Amla has Indian roots and a great IPL record. Unsold.

No need to try and make sense of anything.

Moss

I don't see a preview on Cricinfo (yet), so I guess it's CBF all around.

Wonder if this is is supposed to be some attempt at reviving World Series Cricket for the T20 era?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You do sometimes wonder whether IPL franchise owners have watched any cricket, ever.

In other news the PM's XI is on now. What a fall it's had, from being a 50 over match broadcast on C9 to being a 20 over match held the same night as a BBL semi final.

I like that Lyon is captain, but they can't even include the token ACT player.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

I think it might be time to make Twenty20 just a domestic/franchise thing and remove internationals. It would mean removing the World Twenty20 which I know a lot of people enjoy but it would free up the schedule. Keep one-dayers international though.

The Hutt Rec

If it was a ODI series, however...
Damn, it would have made an excellent ODI tri-series. Hadn't even thought of that.

I think it might be time to make Twenty20 just a domestic/franchise thing and remove internationals. It would mean removing the World Twenty20 which I know a lot of people enjoy but it would free up the schedule. Keep one-dayers international though.
They could get rid of all regular 20-20 series but keep the Worlds, which would be the only time they'd play internationals. I think it would add a lot of interest to the tournament.

TheJediBrah

What are Lynn and this Darcy guy like against spin? Will the SCG turn much for Santner and Sodhi?
Lynn is notoriously bad against spin, and Darcy Short's last innings was a duck getting out to Ben Dunk (who is usually a wicket-keeper) bowling the first over with F-grade off-spin. Make of that what you will.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm seeing prices for players that aren't even going to be involved, so give me your best bets.

I've been told by my boss I must try harder to embrace the agribusinessman's point of ewe. Those chubby, moronic ewe he's determined to keep clicking through the turnstiles. I want to align his dreams with my own dreams.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I've been told by my boss I must try harder to embrace the agribusinessman's point of ewe. Those chubby, moronic ewe he's determined to keep clicking through the turnstiles. I want to align his dreams with my own dreams.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
I'm personally pretty pumped about the tri-series. Mainly cos NZ will get to play some decent opponents and accurately gauge where we are at.

Although I'm more excited about the prospect of seeing the likes of Short/Dwarshuis translate their BBL form to International level.