• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Trans-Tasman Twenty20 Tri-Series

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
If they drop Kitchen their selection goes down as a failure, so they stubbornly give him more and more opportunities to justify his place. They've done it a number of times now, Ronchi being the most obvious.
Correct. It was awful from the start but they're sticking to it.

I mean, we do have good T20 players in our side - Munro, Guptill when he's not batting like it's the opening 20 overs of a ODI, Taylor's in form, Boult, Santner/Sodhi with the ball and if Dutchy gets going at the death with the bat. It's just the guys they've selected around them really don't threaten to offer anything.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Do BT still have the rights or will this be on Sky?
Australia, England, New Zealand tri-series in television split - ESPNcricinfo

Viewers in Britain will also face a somewhat disjointed broadcast arrangement, with BT Sport to air the matches in Australia and Sky Sports to take over for the New Zealand leg. This reflects the deal struck by BT last year to air all televised cricket played in Australia, whereas Sky retain the rights to matches played in New Zealand.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Look forward to aussie commentators talking at length about our Number 1 ranked bowler & batsmen and 2nd ranked team overall, only for us to get smashed in Aus while all games in NZ will be ignored, thus reaffirming our ****ness to the general aussie populace.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZ's selectors have put a sour taste on to this series in advance, They're morons.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Look forward to aussie commentators talking at length about our Number 1 ranked bowler & batsmen and 2nd ranked team overall, only for us to get smashed in Aus while all games in NZ will be ignored, thus reaffirming our ****ness to the general aussie populace.
Munro isn't number 1 any more, Sodhi also isn't number 1, though Santner is so that part still holds true

The Hutt Rec

NZ's selectors have put a sour taste on to this series in advance, They're morons.
Look on the bright side, we win and get the satisfaction of taking down Australia and England, we lose and the selectors get ridicule and scorn heaped on them. It's win-win!

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not trying to suggest that they aren't great players, or even the best players, but it's pretty hard to put any stock into International T20 Player rankings. For obvious reasons.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Not trying to suggest that they aren't great players, or even the best players, but it's pretty hard to put any stock into International T20 Player rankings. For obvious reasons.
Yup, it's been serious eye-roll material watching the local sports journo's froth at the mouth over the fact that "world #1 Ish Sodhi" didn't get picked up at the IPL auction, and that Ben Stokes got more money than "world #1 Colin Munro".

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yup, it's been serious eye-roll material watching the local sports journo's froth at the mouth over the fact that "world #1 Ish Sodhi" didn't get picked up at the IPL auction, and that Ben Stokes got more money than "world #1 Colin Munro".
Heaven forbid, Mark Reason actually wrote an interesting article about the IPL and the politics behind it - ie a teenaged Nepalese spinner being recruited, in lieu of that team's owner doing some sort of controversial construction in that country. Offering of a white dove, it would seem.

Dunno why the fascination with the IPL from anywhere else (unless you're the player getting the coin). Mind you I don't get T20 internationals either.

Moss

Dunno why the fascination with the IPL from anywhere else (unless you're the player getting the coin). Mind you I don't get T20 internationals either.
Debatable of course, but I do feel with a lot of international cricket being increasingly confined to the subcontinent and England, the IPL exposure is hugely beneficial to players in the shorter forms. Guptill for example would nicely round out his hitting game (especially against slower bowlers and in non-NZ conditions) if he had extended game-time with an IPL side. Unfortunately I think by not being snapped up earlier on in his career (around 2012 especially when his T20 form was excellent), means he'll continue to be overlooked on the basis of his perfomances inIndia and stop-start IPL performances in the two opportunities he received. Ish Sodhi is another who might greatly benefit from a stint, but the plethora of legspinners means he's crowded out.

Hard to say if there's a correlation between T20 performances and one's standing in the cricket world, but I can't help feeling the Windies continue to be the beneficiary of being a strong and marketable T20 side (2 world titles, etc) which leads to them getting more tests than NZ (boxing day test in 2015, many more three test series than NZ). Which is another reason the selection of players like Kitchen, Rance etc is a bit frustrating - if the selectors showed more imagination at least NZ's T20 and perhaps ODI side would be an exciting proposition.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Time will erase the marketability and lure of the Windies- the side they sent out here this season was meek. Nothing of any marketability. And when I say meek I mean the players and their personalities - I thought it was almost embarrassing how far removed they were from the old swagger, even when they weren't winning you still thought they'd take your girl. Not now.

And the best thing an NZ cricketer could do now is try and sign up for Fleming's management company. Almost guaranteed IPL gig. Gup (And Ross) was on the other side of the Baz v Ross 2012 saga, that doesn't help him either. Not suggesting there's bad blood just that he's not getting the same privileges Southee is

thierry henry

International Coach
Admittedly I don't follow T20 cricket that closely and haven't analysed his numbers with a fine tooth comb (past IPL performances, performances in the subcontinent etc), but you'd have to say Guppy is genuinely unlucky to not be an IPL regular, surely?

Has a (if I understand T20 stats at all) good record at both international and domestic level, obviously has excellent white ball pedigree generally, and he would seem to meet all the requirements for an exciting modern cricketer given his long-levered, hit through the line, deal in DLF maximums style and renowned athleticism in the field.

I don't want to be seen as an ongoing CDG-basher but even taking into account his T20-friendly batting style, it seems demonstrably odd to me that a much less touted and well-known player and obviously lesser batsman gets a gig while Guppy doesn't. Just as an example.

I feel like NZ fans tend to be hyper-cynical and we will go out of our way to explain why are players aren't getting the plaudits they probably deserve but sometimes **** just happens and deserving people miss out, right?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Guptill had a run in the IPL last season, and was pretty mediocre. Averaged about 20 iirc, with just one 50. The reluctance of IPL franchises to pick him up is further explained by his poor T20I record in Asia. Tbh, I'm not hugely surprised that he wasn't asked back.

That isn't to say that other less-deserving players haven't gotten lucky in this auction, with CdG being a prime example. Averaged just 15 last season (albeit at a 150 sr) and got pulverised whenever he bowled. Likewise, Gayle did no better than Guptill and still managed to get picked up for $400k at auction purely because he's 'box office'.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
who gives a ****?

i suppose it shows the importance of this tri-series in purist hearts that we're far more interested in moaning that the other dinky little plastic league isn't giving our players money for nothing.

also we could have played some tests against pakistan instead of 5 odis no one attended, 3 t20s no one attended, this week or more of like no cricket and the next few weeks of a tri-series that probably no one will go to either barring the australian home game because we can sell anything with australia in it.

what were the crowd attendances for pakistan anyway? definitely seemed like there was some viewer fatigue towards the end.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I thought attendances for the LO stuff v Pakistan were pretty good bar the 1st T20 at Wellington - which was understandable given that it was the 3rd game played there against Pakistan in a 2-week period. Both games at the Basin pretty much sold out, and - though I think the Basin more or less sold out for both ODI's. The last T20 at Tauranga was sold out, it looked like there was a decent crowd at Eden Park, and I recall the grounds looking pretty full at Hamilton and Dunedin.

Flem274*

123/5
Heh, if you're right then I must be projecting my own boredom onto my memory. I remember the crowds being a bit meh.