• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's Fourth Best Opener

Flametree

International 12th Man
If you were picking Indian All Time XI's presumably

Sorry about that, I tried a poll and something went wrong so I thought that the whole thread hadn't started

I'll restart....

Just in light of the current team's opening struggles in South Africa.....

Presumably most people pick Gavaskar plus one of Sehwag or Merchant in their ATG Indian Test XI. Given the other of Sehwag and Merchant make the second xi, who would you pick to partner them?

Statistically, I guess it's one of Sidhu, Gambhir, Vijay, Rahul or Dhawan who all average about 40. Or you could go for one of the old timers like Roy, Contractor, Chauhan who average just over 30.

Shastri must have opened a bit I guess. Is the opening slot a way to get Mankad in the side?

Or do you just give up and make Pujara open (which might leave a bit of a hole at 3).

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Gavaskar and Sehwag are one and two, I imagine there are plenty of contenders for 3 and 4.

If we extend to include ODIs then Gavaskar, Sehwag, Sachin, Ganguly easily.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gavaskar and Sehwag are one and two, I imagine there are plenty of contenders for 3 and 4.

If we extend to include ODIs then Gavaskar, Sehwag, Sachin, Ganguly easily.
1. Gavaskar
2/3 Merchant/Sehwag

is what OP meant I think

4th would probably be Gambhir tbh.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Along with Gambhir, a few names I can think of include Mankad, Roy, Sidhu, Ganguly & Vijay.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here & say NS Sidhu. Would have went for Sourav, but he wasn't always an opener.

In ODIs Dravid, Tendulkar & Jadeja are all worth a mention.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
1. Gavaskar
2. Sehwag
3. Gambhir
4. Sidhu
5. M. Mankad

Forgotten Merchant. Only 10 matches though.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
By the time you reach the 4th best opener you may as well get Dravid to open

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Along with Gambhir, a few names I can think of include Mankad, Roy, Sidhu, Ganguly & Vijay.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here & say NS Sidhu. Would have went for Sourav, but he wasn't always an opener.

In ODIs Dravid, Tendulkar & Jadeja are all worth a mention.
Ganguly is not a Test Opener

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Surely Kohli has done enough for #5 , with the keeper and Kapil, is there a place for Mankad?
I think so. India xi would probably have 3 spinners. One of them can easily be Mankad. Kohli only replaces Laxman/Hazare.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I think so. India xi would probably have 3 spinners. One of them can easily be Mankad. Kohli only replaces Laxman/Hazare.
humm yeah, can work with 3 spinners. Hopefully one of our current pacers would allows us a 3-2 attack in the first team eventually.