• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How did India become the No. 1 Test Side?

subshakerz

International Coach
Yes.I think it takes into account your last 4/5 years with last 2/3 years as full points and the previous as half-points.....

I don't think that India are undeserved #1. They have beaten everybody in the subcontinent, and their scheduling has resulted in and 'easy' #1 place. Whereas all the other teams (SA, Aus, Eng) vying for that spot have had some inconsistent results home and away. They will probably drop a couple of spots in the next year, but that will also depend on how the SA/Aus series goes. If SA can win here in SA against Aus and beat SL in SL have a good shot of going top. even with the recent loss to Eng. If Aus beat SA and destroy India can see them going top. Eng i`m unsure about.
They didnt face Pakistan in the UAE. Would have been an interesting series.

subshakerz

International Coach
How do South Africa always beat Australia in Australia, and Australia always beat South Africa in South Africa? This has pedigree: commencing 1993-4 Australia have won five series and drawn the other two in South Africa whilst South Africa have won three in a row in Australia beginning 2008-09 (obviously the Warnes and McGraths had to all retire before this could happen).

Yes the wickets are similar but this should not imply a weakening in your own country.
Actually, SA seemed likely to beat Australia if they had a third test in 2011 at home, but for some reason they cut that series to a 2-test series which they drew. But they definitely looked a better side with Philander, and Johnson not being as menacing as the series prior or after.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India is the title holder, but, to use the boxing term, not undisputed. Few teams become undisputed number one. To do that you need to basically win all your home games and most of your away games. Since Australia stopped being undisputed champion, not long after the retirement of all the greats, this number 1 has been a merry go round. No one can hold it for too long. Maybe South Africa can get their **** together. Perhaps Australia will. Pakistan will be due to hold it for a few weeks out of nowhere in typical WTF style and England will have a spell where they push for a claim. Then India will be due to claim it again and resurrect this thread.

I wonder what has been the longest stretch of there being no clear undisputed number 1?
There hasn't been an undisputed no. 1 in nearly a decade. I doubt it will happen here, India will be lucky to win even 1 of their away series here.

Motorwada

Banned
South Africa won their last tour series in New Zealand, with the last one in 2017. Not sure they have ever lost a test series in New Zealand.

The thing with assessing South Africa's test team is that due to a variety of factors, they really haven't had a full strength first choice test side since World Cup 2015 which means the last time they did was January 2015 against West Indies

I mean sure everyone has injuries and all that but South Africa's issues were not just stray injuries but a variety of other factors, the most important being the AB factor.

In Bangladesh in 2015, they had two rained out test matches which they would have won 2-0 and earned some more points

Against England at home in 2015, they Steyn broke down and whatever you might say about Steyn now, in December 2015, he was definitely the first choice fast bowler and he had never been out of the game for so long at that time. I believe Philander was injured for that series too so they basically had two of their best bowlers out for a home series. Take out Starc and Hazelwood, or Anderson/Broad and then judge their attacks.

Then in 2016, they looked to be finally coming together but AB at first had major injuries that kept him out of the New Zealand and Australia away series and then he finally took a break. The fact that they still won 4 series in that time without AB, Steyn is a testament to how quickly the new guys Rabada, QDK stepped up.

In 2017, the England loss was a major setback but out of 4 test matches, they didn't have their best XI for the first 2. Rabada got banned, and Faf was out for the first. Philander had injuries throughout the series although Morkel stepped up.

Watching the India-South Africa series, one thing is clear though - South Africa might be able to replace Steyn and guys like Rabada, Lungi have stepped up big time while the return of Morkel has helped greatly. But there is no replacement for AB. I know that CW has it's share of contrarians who like to say "AB is not all that" but South Africa is not a great batting side and the absence of AB just makes that batting extremely vulnerable. Take the first 2 tests against India, you take out AB's contribution in both the games and then consider how those matches might have gone.

The fact that they're still number 2 in world cricket and only have one major loss - the England series in the last 2 years speaks volumes of their depth. I don't think any of India, Australia or England would have the same record as South Africa if you take out Kohli, Smith or Root for a year.
Not really. Bangladesh had become a very good team by then. And they had like a 90 run lead in the first test. Post that they won vs England, Aus at home and SL away. Also drew a match against a very strong Pak team 1 match before so SA's success in Bang was hardly guaranteed.

Also in the last 2 years they have had only two really major series right if you consider England and Aus away series as major out of whcih they won one and lost the other. They lost 1-2 vs Eng at home and 0-3 vs Ind away which where their two prior major series but lies outside the 2 year period. Ultimately it's the results that matter. One can criticize Kohli's selections (Rahane who averages over 50 outside SC, Bhuvi who averages 26 with the ball) in this series and similarly do hypotheticals considering there were moments in both games where India were still in it.

Last edited:

Motorwada

Banned
There hasn't been an undisputed no. 1 in nearly a decade. I doubt it will happen here, India will be lucky to win even 1 of their away series here.
Even decent losses/draws can be a good indicator. Aus before the Ind series had been whitewashed in all of UAE, SL and Ind in their last tours but did rectify their record somewhat in Ind this time. Even a draw in UAE would give them more brownie points.

Motorwada

Banned
I hope they don't face Pakistan now in the UAE. They will absolutely crush Pak
True. Post Misbah/Younis Pakistan has become weaker. Sl too is struggling post Sanga/Mahela . In fact they might lose against the SENA teams in a home series actually. Won't be able to use it against them in online arguments :cry:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gonna remember this post.
I hope I am wrong as him in full flow is one of the best sights in cricket in the last 20 years but history tells you that constantly injured pace bowlers rarely get back to their best once they are in their early to mid 30's.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Oz are a fair shot to beat RSA as well in March. Warner loves RSA and Smith is in the form of his life, there's not much between the bowling units at all.
There is a massive gap between Mitch marsh as a 5th bowler vs Steyn/Ngidi...First 4 bowlers match up fairly evenly but the 5th isn't close.

As to the thread this will always be debated due to test cricket's scheduling , unless we get to a stage where the scheduling is the same the issue will always persist. India have been more consistent then the other teams so deserve their nr 1 spot.

Slifer

International Captain
There is a massive gap between Mitch marsh as a 5th bowler vs Steyn/Ngidi...First 4 bowlers match up fairly evenly but the 5th isn't close.

As to the thread this will always be debated due to test cricket's scheduling , unless we get to a stage where the scheduling is the same the issue will always persist. India have been more consistent then the other teams so deserve their nr 1 spot.
Actually they dont. Rsa's first choice attack:

Steyn
Philander
Rabada
Maharaj
Morkel/Ngidi

Vs

Hazelwood
Starc
Cummins
Lyons
Marsh

Just the first 4: Steyn and Philander are proven atg and have achieved world wide succes. Each one is better than any Oz bowler. Rabada is as good as any Oz bowler and it's a toss up between the spinners. Contrary to popular belief, Australia is the real proving grounds for seamers and last time south African bowlers outdid their oz counterparts in australia.

Chrish

International Debutant

4 bowlers are more than enough to get the job done. Aussie bowlers are used to bowling on much flatter decks as well.

I personally have a feeling OZ will take this series. I reckon SA batsman would fail against OZ bowlers apart from AB who would play like a dream and get his 60-70. Aussie players would fail as well barring Smith who would look ugly & awkward but still somehow get 140 which would make all the difference in the end.

Of course I would love to be proven wrong.

Last edited:

Victor Ian

International Coach
This will be the series of 2018. It's not often I am equally optimistic and pessimistic before a series.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Of course there has. India, England, South Africa and Pakistan were obviously the best sides around when they reached the top.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
The toss decides games in SL.

A touring side hasn't won batting second in SL in over 8 years.

Australia lost all 3 tosses.

When India won 3-0 there, they won all three tosses.

When SA won 1-0, they won 2/3 tosses.

I wouldn't hang too much **** on Australia, India were the last side to win batting second there, like I said that was about 4 tours ago for them.
What a joke.

Australia was outplayed in SL completely.This was depleted SL team as well.

Visiting Australian teams have thrashed SL in 2004 and 2011 , 3-0 both the times.Even SL team with the likes of Murali,Vaas,Sanga,Mahela,Samaraweera, Dilshan,Marvan,Sanath etc.

To be honest 2016 Aus side looked out of sorts,esp the batting was dreadful.Only Shaun Marsh and Smith looked decent,rest were hacks.

Slifer

International Captain
What a joke.

Australia was outplayed in SL completely.This was depleted SL team as well.

Visiting Australian teams have thrashed SL in 2004 and 2011 , 3-0 both the times.Even SL team with the likes of Murali,Vaas,Sanga,Mahela,Samaraweera, Dilshan,Marvan,Sanath etc.

To be honest 2016 Aus side looked out of sorts,esp the batting was dreadful.Only Shaun Marsh and Smith looked decent,rest were hacks.
Australia won 1-0 in Sri Lanka in 2011. Rest of the post ok.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Of course there has. India, England, South Africa and Pakistan were obviously the best sides around when they reached the top.
Undisputed though? These teams were number one for short times and anyhow never put forth a feeling of being undisputed. Pakistan were number one for five seconds on the back of drawing in England as I recall, and then got a thorough going over in New Zealand and Australia.

When you think about it, from 1980 through to 2005, that is twenty-five years, we had one clear cut all-conquering team dominate test cricket, if you ignore the fact that the Aussies lost four times on the subcontinent. Heck, you could add another four years onto that by going further back in the years of West Indian dominance, if you ignore another Indian failure and a Kiwi series with the dodgiest umpiring.

Twenty-nine years!

Slifer

International Captain
Undisputed though? These teams were number one for short times and anyhow never put forth a feeling of being undisputed. Pakistan were number one for five seconds on the back of drawing in England as I recall, and then got a thorough going over in New Zealand and Australia.

When you think about it, from 1980 through to 2005, that is twenty-five years, we had one clear cut all-conquering team dominate test cricket, if you ignore the fact that the Aussies lost four times on the subcontinent. Heck, you could add another four years onto that by going further back in the years of West Indian dominance, if you ignore another Indian failure and a Kiwi series with the dodgiest umpiring.

Twenty-nine years!
Even the WI team that lost in India in the late 70s was the second XI. The main team was bz playing WSC. But even though they lost a few series in the sub con, no doubt Australia between 1995 til about 2007 or so was the team to beat and undisputed number one.