• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** County Cricket 2018

Woodster

International Captain
Yorkshire certainly did as well as they could have hoped in the IPL auction. None of Root, Bairstow, Plunkett, Rashid or Willey being picked up.

Of course I would imagine Bairstow and Root get long breaks at the start of the season given they will be coming off the back off nigh on 6 months overseas. Probably see them for one game.

Whether Willey or Plunkett make the Yorkshire first XI I don't know. Probably one of them.
Yes Middlesex were the other major beneficiaries with Finn, Malan, Helm and Morgan all missing out at this point. Again I suppose how much some of them play is questionable but there is a chance all four could start, in theory, when the season gets underway.

Woodster

International Captain
Chetashwar Pujara is to play county cricket once again this season, Yorkshire have announced he will share overseas duties with Kane Williamson now it was confirmed Pujara will play no role in the IPL, no surprise there though.

Goes back to the discussion we had the other week, not sure it sits particularly well with me that we are bringing a player over for some competitive cricket in our conditions ahead of the Indians touring late in the summer. In fariness, Pujara is one that has spent some time over here in previous summers to help develop his game in these conditions so isn't solely using a club for a bit of a warm-up ahead of the series.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Morgan will play the Royal London Cup but it would be extremely odd to see Morgan play first-class cricket now!

S.Kennedy

They could of course play in the ehh Hong Kong Blitz!!

Edit, oh that is before our domestic season - starting soon as it happens.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Yes I'm sure there'll be another obscure T20 competition pop up that will attract such players.

It would be surprising to see Morgan play four-day cricket but as long he's contracted to Middlesex he should be available to play for them, if they so desire.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Morgan shouldn't get in the cc team
Gubbins
Robson
Eskinazi
Malan
OS
Simpson
Should be the 6 bats with franklin at 7

Woodster

International Captain
Morgan shouldn't get in the cc team
Gubbins
Robson
Eskinazi
Malan
OS
Simpson
Should be the 6 bats with franklin at 7
Yes I wouldn't blame that at all for not selecting him, there are of course the possibilities of injuries and whatever and he should be available to play if they require.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Of course, I agree there will be players unavailable. I would actually rather sew Stirling play in the longer format before Morgan. He had a few good knocks early on last season and obv offers something with the ball.
I just don't see eoin playing in whites again it doesn't benefit anyone

Tom Flint

International Regular
As for Middlesex' overseas I'd love for us to get a west Indian I'm. I think the only part of their domestic season that clashes is the cpl, so maybe k. Braithwaite would be a good option as I doubt he plays in that.

Woodster

International Captain
Of course, I agree there will be players unavailable. I would actually rather sew Stirling play in the longer format before Morgan. He had a few good knocks early on last season and obv offers something with the ball.
I just don't see eoin playing in whites again it doesn't benefit anyone
Don't disagree with you at all on this, it's just a better option to have than not have. He could still comfortably score runs in CC if the motivation and everything is there, but I don't see great value in selecting him for the longer format side.

As for Middlesex' overseas I'd love for us to get a west Indian I'm. I think the only part of their domestic season that clashes is the cpl, so maybe k. Braithwaite would be a good option as I doubt he plays in that.
Yes if Brathwaite signs on a longish-term deal I think he would be a decent signing. He's not someone that will come over and take it for granted that he will score plenty of runs because he's a Test player, he's still developing and has some way to go before being a very good Test player, plenty to prove and plenty to learn. That said, he does have plenty of Test experience and knows how to bat long periods. I certainly see the benefits of a signing like that.

His very short-term deal with Yorkshire last season is probably best not mentioned.

theegyptian

Do middlesex really need an opening bat? Surely with Compton, Gubbins, Robson, Eskinazi and Holden they have plenty of cover at the top of the order.

Woodster

International Captain
Do middlesex really need an opening bat? Surely with Compton, Gubbins, Robson, Eskinazi and Holden they have plenty of cover at the top of the order.
There are some very talented younger batsmen there that will hopefully be better again another year on, but no Middlesex batsman averaged over 40 last season, Robson probably the stand out at the top of the order. They'll lose Adam Voges and won't see much of Dawid Malan, maybe the likes of Compton, for example, need a kick up the backside that the acquisition of an overseas batsman might subtly do while adding some batting quality in depth, depending who gets the gig.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Robson would probably drop to 3 if an OS opened was bought in.
Compton is finished and just about manages one half decent knock a season. Eskinazi has batted everywhere in the order and a lot of his bigger scores has been at 5.

Tom Flint

International Regular
It all depends on who the OS player is and what position they bat, the rest are versatile enough to fit around them.
The bowling has always been plenty good enough even in div 1, we will take 20 wickets in most games. Trj, murtagh, Finn, harris, fuller then franklin and stirling is a top drawer domestic attack 2nd only to the tykes IMO

theegyptian

Looking at the England u19s and their county chances for season.

Brook will probably get chances at Yorkshire in four day and 50 over.
Banton I reckon will get a go in white ball cricket for somerset probably at the top of the order. They've got rid of Allenby so there is a room as opener. Batting in championship isn't exactly strong so might get a game or two there in middle order. Batting style similar to Jason Roy with a touch of KP.
Finch and Pennington might get the odd game at Worcestershire. They are just starting to get a group of 80mph + young bowlers - Tongue, Scrimshaw, Finch, Pennington, Brown.
Will Jacks maybe some game time in the 50 over and 20 over cricket for Surrey. They don't have a great middle order in those formats and he bowls some tightish offspin.
Liam Banks will possibly get more chances for Warwickshire in championship cricket but he was badly out of his depth last year so I'd guess he'll be playing second team cricket.

Don't really see any of the others getting chances for their counties this year.

theegyptian

Good couple of weeks for English players in grade cricket

Ollie Pope got his second hundred of the winter over the weekend. Has been keeping wicket every week too. Averaging 40 across formats. Adequate cover for Foakes at SUrrey and might even play as a bat alone in championship.
Critchley has back to back hundreds and is having a good winter for Fairfield-Liverpool. BIg improvement on previous winter in grade cricket. I reckon he could be a real key player for Derbyshire going forward. Likely bat 5/6 in championship cricket and bowl a bit of spin. Could be key in the shorter formats - hits the ball cleanly and bowls useful leg-spin.
Selman scoring a lot of runs. Him and Critchley in 4th and 6th respectively top run scorers in sydney grade 2 day comp.
George Bartlett doing well. Scored a ton over the weekend. Averaging 48 in WA grade cricket. Plenty of room at Somerset to break through.
Michael Burgess being scoring lots of runs in SA grade at a quick pace. Has Ben Brown in front of him at Sussex, don't think his style suits playing as a bat alone.

Even Aaron Lilley who has been garbage over the winter (and bowling seems to have gone to pieces) got a ton overnight.
Adam Hose another who had a poor winter but scored 175* over the weekend in SA grade.