• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** County Cricket 2018

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Jordan and Archer both picked up. Wiese will probably get picked up too if he hasn't already. Won't help Sussex's chances of promotion. Billings picked up - why Kent put him as captain I don't know.

Hales really should be getting picked instead of Roy in T20.

S.Kennedy

Oh no, Mark Wood!

County cricket April - May is running the risk of resembling a second eleven with this IPL.

Last edited:

JRC67

U19 12th Man
I wonder whether Crane would be better served chancing his arm at another county (perhaps on a loan move for the first part of the season) where he could feature as the main spinner, but I'd imagine most clubs would opt for the more consistent and reliable finger spinner early in the season, if they select a spinner at all. Perhaps a move to a division two club if he's not going to get a sniff at the Rose Bowl early on.

I thought Bailey was both the skipper and top performer with the bat last season ? Not that it was a great season for Hants obviously. As you say I suppose you're just expecting the batsman like Rossouw to stand up a bit more this year.
I think the answer is yes he would. Dawson bowled very well last season. I thought he was ok in his 3 tests without setting the world on fire. Crane really needs 2 seasons just bowling a lot of overs.

theegyptian

Morgan not picked up for the IPL. About time. Although he'll probably get picked up as a reserve at some point.

If he doesn't he'll have to go on a nice holiday. Can't see Middlesex wanting him for the championship (and possibly vice versa). If he does want some cricket might have to go out on loan. Middlesex you would think wouldn't release him to competing div 2 clubs, so that leaves Div 1 clubs and Worcestershire are the only team who I think he would make obviously better. Moeen picked up at the IPL too.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I just enjoy the way S.Kennedy calls it 'this' IPL as if it has not been around for 10 years.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Morgan not picked up for the IPL. About time. Although he'll probably get picked up as a reserve at some point.

If he doesn't he'll have to go on a nice holiday. Can't see Middlesex wanting him for the championship (and possibly vice versa). If he does want some cricket might have to go out on loan. Middlesex you would think wouldn't release him to competing div 2 clubs, so that leaves Div 1 clubs and Worcestershire are the only team who I think he would make obviously better. Moeen picked up at the IPL too.
The last time he played any county cricket for us he averaged about 7. Has been an awful servant for Middlesex, hasn't really performed in white ball cricket for us the last few season either

S.Kennedy

What, because 8 players who would almost certainly not be playing all games in any event are now playing none?
As I demonstrated above, Root and Bairstow played 5/9 for Yorkshire in the Royal London Cup 2017 that they couldn't possibly have done if they were playing IPL. If I was a Yorkshire supporter I'd almost certainly want Root and Bairstow playing the former competition and not the latter and be somewhat disgruntled them putting their names into the auction (as I am with Wood but he is always knackered so I cannot really find an example for him starting for Durham while also an England player).

The 2018 domestic season starts April 13th and there are no England games until May 24th (tests)/June 10th (one-dayers). Are you seriously suggesting that England players would be rested for the entirety of this time for their domestic clubs if they are not playing IPL? The IPL coincides with five rounds of championship matches and five group rounds of Royal London Cup. Even for just a few games, supporters love to see the internationals and it can affect the outcome of your team's season.

High-summer is clogged with endless one-day internationals. What better preparation than a few rounds of the domestic fifty over competition?

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
As I demonstrated above, Root and Bairstow played 5/9 for Yorkshire in the Royal London Cup 2017 that they couldn't possibly have done if they were playing IPL. If I was a Yorkshire supporter I'd almost certainly want Root and Bairstow playing the former competition and not the latter and be somewhat disgruntled them putting their names into the auction (as I am with Wood but he is always knackered so I cannot really find an example for him starting for Durham while also an England player).

The 2018 domestic season starts April 13th and there are no England games until May 24th (tests)/June 10th (one-dayers). Are you seriously suggesting that England players would be rested for the entirety of this time for their domestic clubs if they are not playing IPL? The IPL coincides with five rounds of championship matches and five group rounds of Royal London Cup. Even for just a few games, supporters love to see the internationals and it can affect the outcome of your team's season.

High-summer is clogged with endless one-day internationals. What better preparation than a few rounds of the domestic fifty over competition?
I understand where you're coming from as a county supporter, as an Essex fan I was pleased to see nobody opted for Ravi Bopara so he should be free to start the season at Chelmsford. However, it's difficult to begrudge these players the chance to earn such good money for a few weeks work, whether you're in favour of the IPL competition or not. Very few players are going to opt for a few CC games and One-Day cup games ahead of playing and earning considerably more money, along with the majority of the best players in the world.

It's a shame the counties don't have the power to resist the pull of the IPL for their players but it is now becoming the norm to allow the players to enter the auction and hope for the best.

I agree that county cricket should be the priority, but each year that moves further away from being the case, and again it's hard to say the players shouldn't enter the competition such are the benefits, albeit primarily financial.

The type of player entering the IPL that I do slightly question are those that talk of Test cricket as still being the pinnacle yet by entering the IPL they are minimalising their chance of breaking into the Test side. With opportunities throughout England's batting line-up, I'm thinking Jason Roy and Jos Buttler, notoriously very good limited-overs players and if they want to stay purely LO players, then absolutely fair enough. But if they want Test cricket, then they should be starting the season with their respective counties and developing their long-form cricket. Rarely happens though.

SeamUp

International Coach
Bracewell signed by Northants for the first month of Championship to replace Rory Kleinveldt who will only join in from when the limited overs cricket starts.

We should hear more news on overseas now that IPL auction done.

Just Notts, Worcs & Essex need an overseas player for CC. Hoping some Saffers will be snapped up. Only really Lyon linked with Notts.

For Div 2

Derbyshire (Philander linked)
Gloucs (but don't think they had one last season)
Kent
Middlesex
Sussex

S.Kennedy

I understand where you're coming from as a county supporter, as an Essex fan I was pleased to see nobody opted for Ravi Bopara so he should be free to start the season at Chelmsford. However, it's difficult to begrudge these players the chance to earn such good money for a few weeks work, whether you're in favour of the IPL competition or not. Very few players are going to opt for a few CC games and One-Day cup games ahead of playing and earning considerably more money, along with the majority of the best players in the world.

It's a shame the counties don't have the power to resist the pull of the IPL for their players but it is now becoming the norm to allow the players to enter the auction and hope for the best.

I agree that county cricket should be the priority, but each year that moves further away from being the case, and again it's hard to say the players shouldn't enter the competition such are the benefits, albeit primarily financial.

The type of player entering the IPL that I do slightly question are those that talk of Test cricket as still being the pinnacle yet by entering the IPL they are minimalising their chance of breaking into the Test side. With opportunities throughout England's batting line-up, I'm thinking Jason Roy and Jos Buttler, notoriously very good limited-overs players and if they want to stay purely LO players, then absolutely fair enough. But if they want Test cricket, then they should be starting the season with their respective counties and developing their long-form cricket. Rarely happens though.
Well I'm not begrudging them the choice in the matter, but it inherently lessens the product of our domestic game. Boycott recently wrote an article about the county game, envisioning it disappearing one day. Very sad times.

Woodster

International Captain
Bracewell signed by Northants for the first month of Championship to replace Rory Kleinveldt who will only join in from when the limited overs cricket starts.

We should hear more news on overseas now that IPL auction done.

Just Notts, Worcs & Essex need an overseas player for CC. Hoping some Saffers will be snapped up. Only really Lyon linked with Notts.

For Div 2

Derbyshire (Philander linked)
Gloucs (but don't think they had one last season)
Kent
Middlesex
Sussex
Be surprised if Essex don't go for Neil Wagner again, or another left-arm paceman, certainly helps bring Simon Harmer into the game, who was obviously fantastic last season.

As you say, things may be stepped up now following the IPL auction.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Well I'm not begrudging them the choice in the matter, but it inherently lessens the product of our domestic game. Boycott recently wrote an article about the county game, envisioning it disappearing one day. Very sad times.
That would indeed be very sad times, I can't imagine that it would come to that, but the fact it is even being considered should be enough of a warning sign.

SeamUp

International Coach
Be surprised if Essex don't go for Neil Wagner again, or another left-arm paceman, certainly helps bring Simon Harmer into the game, who was obviously fantastic last season.

As you say, things may be stepped up now following the IPL auction.
Yeah Essex don't need to change too much from their tactics of last season. With NZL having a limited test schedule you would think it is on but strange it hasn't happened yet.

Think SA's best chance is Notts , Kent and Sussex for overseas players with our history at those clubs in recent season suggesting they look at Saffers as options.

Our only problem is a test tour to Sri Lanka during the English summer so multi form cricketers might not get the chance.

Woodster

International Captain
Yeah Essex don't need to change too much from their tactics of last season. With NZL having a limited test schedule you would think it is on but strange it hasn't happened yet.

Think SA's best chance is Notts , Kent and Sussex for overseas players with our history at those clubs in recent season suggesting they look at Saffers as options.

Our only problem is a test tour to Sri Lanka during the English summer so multi form cricketers might not get the chance.
From a South African point of view, who are you hoping gets a gig over here ? Someone like Aiden Markram to continue his development ? Any exposure to different conditions can only help him learn. Possibility someone like Hashim Amla could be a short-term fix at the start of the season for Notts or someone like that ?

SeamUp

International Coach
From a South African point of view, who are you hoping gets a gig over here ? Someone like Aiden Markram to continue his development ? Any exposure to different conditions can only help him learn. Possibility someone like Hashim Amla could be a short-term fix at the start of the season for Notts or someone like that ?
Yeah, Aiden Markram would be prime candidate from the younger players. Ngidi was another but now IPL has come calling. I doubt they would get but it would be massive for guys like de Bruyn, Bavuma , Maharaj, Olivier.

From the older guys. Amla, Steyn and Morkel but I don't think Amla and Morkel would with young families. So Steyn probably an option.

Woodster

International Captain
Yeah, Aiden Markram would be prime candidate from the younger players. Ngidi was another but now IPL has come calling. I doubt they would get but it would be massive for guys like de Bruyn, Bavuma , Maharaj, Olivier.

From the older guys. Amla, Steyn and Morkel but I don't think Amla and Morkel would with young families. So Steyn probably an option.
Would be a great move for someone like Bavuma to come over and bat in of the key positions in the side and experience that pressure that comes with being an overseas player where there is an expectancy for them to excel, or contribute heavily anyway, not that that is always the case of course.

There continues to be rumours surrounding Morkel signing as a kolpak, but I can't imagine he'd do that for at least another 12 months.

Would think if a county opted for Olivier that might suit all parties.

theegyptian

Yorkshire certainly did as well as they could have hoped in the IPL auction. None of Root, Bairstow, Plunkett, Rashid or Willey being picked up.

Of course I would imagine Bairstow and Root get long breaks at the start of the season given they will be coming off the back off nigh on 6 months overseas. Probably see them for one game.

Whether Willey or Plunkett make the Yorkshire first XI I don't know. Probably one of them.