• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

State cricket?

England06

Cricket Spectator
Which is the biggest most succesful state team in Australia? I know you only have 6 states but is there a state people don't like much and is there a state that always struggle and seen as weak?
Do they all have the same salary cap? Are some states richer than others or they all the same?

Thanks

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Victoria is generally the best, as in best performed and best people in general.

New South Wales is the biggest population-wise. South Australia usually struggle, historically.

Tasmania isn't really part of Australia, they are just in the State competition because we feel sorry for them.

Burgey

Lol @ Victoria being the best State. Full of shunts who think their capital is Paris when it’s really Huddersfield.

Nsw has won 46 Shield titles. Victoria 31.

Top_Cat

Err, 'scuse me luv but SA has more Shield titles than QLD and unlike QLD, WA didn't have to wait a thousand ****ing years to win their first Shield.

In other words, QLD sucks.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Nsw are the England of cricket. Once were good on their own. Now only remain in the picture on the back of imports. Victoria are the good guys. We have so much blue blood that we are dark blue whereas Nsw only have enough for baby blue.

TheJediBrah

There's also a lot of jealousy towards Victoria from around Australia (NSW in particular), which you'll notice. They've got it pretty tough up there in comparison though so we try to humour them.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Lol @ Victoria being the best State. Full of shunts who think their capital is Paris when it’s really Huddersfield.

Nsw has won 46 Shield titles. Victoria 31.
Some state capital in Australia is named Huddersfield??:-O

And go me for not getting sarcasm .

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Victoria=Yorkshire (the most successful and that everyone else hates a bit).
New South Wales=Probably Surrey, second most successful and disliked a bit also
S. Australia=Somebody like Kent or Hampshire even; lot of history; not much modern success.
Tasmania=Durham, the whippersnappers from some geographically distant place who have Boon and Di Venuto.
Queensland=Probably Sussex in that it took them a million years to win the thing
W. Australia=haven't a clue. They had Lillee and Alderman? Might have been Notts of the '70s when they had Hadlee and Rice and therefore had 'lively' wickets.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
As grim as things have been for South Australia ever since the last Shield win in 1995-96, things have picked up quite well in the last couple of seasons. The Redbacks haven't had such a stock of young and primarily homegrown talent in a long time. Results have definitely improved, but the lack of silverware is still something that needs to be rectified.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There's Queensland and then there's some **** to the south and west

In terms of cricket, who cares?

Burgey

I used to play against a bloke who played for NSW and for Qld in the 70s at the same time Viv was there. He started out in NSW but Thommo broke his arm in a shield game so he went North. Can't blame him tbh.

He probably gained more fame while at Wenty Leagues in the 90s when he invented the "Angle Drive" bat which was going to revolutionise the game. The blade was set 2 degrees off perpendicular and was meant to assist with keeping the ball on the deck. Never took off. He used to bring them around to games to try to get blokes to use them, but they were basically pieces of 4x2 and not much chop. Good bloke though.

Burgey

It says a lot about the calibre (or lack thereof) of Victorians that they've won less Shields and produced less great players than their superior counterparts from NSW yet think they're superior. It's emblematic of them as a people. They do less than others, do it less successfully and less often yet proclaim themselves as being of the highest standard. Ridiculous. By every objective measure Victoria and Victorians suck.

AT NSW XI

V Trumper
A Morris
D Bradman
S Smith
A Border
S Waugh
A Gilchrist
A Davo
R Lindwall
W O'Reilly
G McGrath

Beats most ATG national teams around the world.

Daemon

Lol

Victoria the most successful. Spare us this rubbish please.
I must admit that many Victorians I have come across online are not as intellectually blessed as those from other states, in fact some may even say they are uncouth. They also hold strong opinions on Brad Hodge.

Is this just a coincidence or an actual phenomenon?

TheJediBrah

It says a lot about the calibre (or lack thereof) of Victorians that they've won less Shields and produced less great players than their superior counterparts from NSW yet think they're superior. It's emblematic of them as a people. They do less than others, do it less successfully and less often yet proclaim themselves as being of the highest standard. Ridiculous. By every objective measure Victoria and Victorians suck.

AT NSW XI

V Trumper
A Morris
D Bradman
S Smith
A Border
S Waugh
A Gilchrist
A Davo
R Lindwall
W O'Reilly
G McGrath

The fact that you've gone to this effort to try and convince random people on the internet that your state is superior in some way says all that needs to be said about NSW tbh

cnerd123

likes this

AT NSW XI

V Trumper
A Morris
D Bradman
S Smith
A Border
S Waugh
A Gilchrist
A Davo
R Lindwall
W O'Reilly
G McGrath

yet another fine example of where your clients' $500/hr goes towards

Burgey

It took me two minutes ffs. It’s not my fault I don’t have to consult Cricket archives to list great players from nsw. They’re as easy to find as grains of sand on a beach.

If Qld insist on taking TOTAB then we’ll have Keith Miller. I went for state of origin, because it’s the fact they’re from nsw which makes them great. Compare with a Victorian all time XI:

W Woodfull
W Ponsford
D Jones
J Ryder
B Hodge
K Miller
D Berry
S Warne
T Dodemaide
M Hughes
P Siddle

It’s embarrassing to put that XI on the park against the NSW side.