• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Draft idea: Silent auction

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
kingkallis, harsh.ag and oblongballs entries all confirmed.

Still waiting for Red Hill to re-send with bids totalling $1 million, and mr_mister and Firebreaker to bid. (And if anyone else wants to enter, they're still welcome to).

Last edited:

AndrewB

Incidentally, once all the bids for Round 1 are in and the round is complete, should I should reproduce them here in full, or just report who everyone has bought and how much they've spent in total, or... ?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I think only who are the players allotted and to whom. Bid amounts, prices and current balance of each drafter need not be revealed.

Edit: **** grammar previously.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
BTW, there is another modification that can be done. You charge a drafter with highest bid for a player not his actual bid, but $1 more than the second bid. So if a player got 2 bids $10,000 and $50,000 the latter bid wins but has to pay only $10,001. This is how auctions for online ads work, it makes good sense.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BTW, there is another modification that can be done. You charge a drafter with highest bid for a player not his actual bid, but $1 more than the second bid. So if a player got 2 bids $10,000 and $50,000 the latter bid wins but has to pay only $10,001. This is how auctions for online ads work, it makes good sense.
No way. People pay what they bid or you could just go big on someone and get him dirt cheap if nobody else bids for him.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
No way. People pay what they bid or you could just go big on someone and get him dirt cheap if nobody else bids for him.
I can confirm that auctions in real world work in both ways (including how ankit described).

But it will be unfair for this draft to follow Ankit's method, because drafters didn't know the rule (and could have employed a different strategy if they did). So, I would suggest sticking to the original rules. [unless we get time to change our bids]

AndrewB

This draft is following the rule of "you pay what you bid" (assuming you're the highest bidder, of course), not the variant mentioned above (interesting though it might be).

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Cool.

Some other day we can use other approach in another draft. Could be interesting.

Himannv

International Coach
Incidentally, once all the bids for Round 1 are in and the round is complete, should I should reproduce them here in full, or just report who everyone has bought and how much they've spent in total, or... ?
I think you should just report who everyone bought, the winning bid for each player, and how much each person has left. The failed bids are unnecessary.