• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowlers Reported As Chuckers in cricket history

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
As far as I am aware (with limited knowledge of cricket history) the following are bowlers who have been reported as chuckers in the past-
Sonny Ramadhin (West Indies) - Slow or spin bowler 8-)
Bishen Singh Bedi (India) - Slow or spin bowler :D

Current Bowlers:
Muralitharan(Sri Lanka) - Slow or spin bowler :cool:
Shoaib Akhtar(Pakistan) :blink:
Harbajan Singh(India) - Slow or spin bowler :p
Jermaine Lawson(West Indies) :huh:
James Kirtly(England) :dry:
Kyle Mills (New Zealand) :)
Grant Flower(Zimbabwe) - Slow or Spin bowler :wacko:
Some one from Kenya (name eascapes me) 8-)

I would be interested if members of the forum could add any other names either past or present.

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
Past:
Ian Meckiff (Aus)
Geoff Griffin (SA)
David Gower (Eng)
I also heard somewhere that Bruce Yardley was once called for throwing (but not in an international). May have just been a rumour though.

Present:
Shabbir Ahmed (Pak)

As far as I know, Kyle Mills has never been reported.

I didn't know that Sonny Ramadhin had been called, but I do know that a lot of people had serious reservations about Wes Hall's action.

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Robert Key (Eng)
By 'chuckers' I think he means bowlers who've been called for throwing, not fat-boy jelly-bellies who hurl in the gutter after 15 pints, a vindaloo and a packet of pork scratchings.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
DJ Bumfluff said:
By 'chuckers' I think he means bowlers who've been called for throwing, not fat-boy jelly-bellies who hurl in the gutter after 15 pints, a vindaloo and a packet of pork scratchings.
One over at the end of a CC match in the 2001 season!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
DJ Bumfluff said:
And you criticised Marc for sarcasm?

Pot, meet kettle. :D

And who mentioned Blackwell?

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Are we omitting Henry Olonga out of respect?

And just for statistical completeness (in Tests):

E.Jones (Aus)
G.A.R.Lock (Eng)
G.M.Griffen(SA)
Haseeb Ahsan (Pak)
I.Meckiff (Aus)
S.Abid Ali (ind)
D.I.Gower (Eng)
H.R.Olonga (Zim)
M.Muraliduran(SL)
(List published 1998)

As a footnote, Eddie Gilbert, Queensland aboriginal fast bowler and the man Bradman said was the fastest he ever faced was also called for throwing several times despite having his action cleared by the best umpire in the land.

Langeveldt

Soutie
DJ Bumfluff said:
HAHAHA brilliant :laugh:

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
a massive zebra said:
I think someone was called for throwing in the 1830s simply because he was bowling overarm.
Wasn't the first person to bowl overarm, in fact, a lady? I believe she had to as her dress got in the way of her bowling underarm.

Langeveldt

Soutie
DJ Bumfluff said:
Wasn't the first person to bowl overarm, in fact, a lady? I believe she had to as her dress got in the way of her bowling underarm.

Yep, and thats how over arm bowling was created...

Tom Halsey

International Coach
David Gower bowled with great veriety, full tosses and long hops.

Don't know why he even bowled to get called for chucking.

Craig

World Traveller
DJ Bumfluff said:
Past:
Ian Meckiff (Aus)
Geoff Griffin (SA)
David Gower (Eng)
I also heard somewhere that Bruce Yardley was once called for throwing (but not in an international). May have just been a rumour though.

Present:
Shabbir Ahmed (Pak)

As far as I know, Kyle Mills has never been reported.

I didn't know that Sonny Ramadhin had been called, but I do know that a lot of people had serious reservations about Wes Hall's action.
Think back to India's tour of New Zealand in 02/03.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
As far as I am aware (with limited knowledge of cricket history) the following are bowlers who have been reported as chuckers in the past-
Sonny Ramadhin (West Indies) - Slow or spin bowler 8-)
Bishen Singh Bedi (India) - Slow or spin bowler :D
Could you tell when and where Bedi was called/reported for chucking ??