• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowlers Reported As Chuckers in cricket history

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS said:
Could you tell when and where Bedi was called/reported for chucking ??
I would think that such a thing is most unlikely.

for all Bedi's supposedly 'interpersonal' faults, does anyone honestly think that he would be so vociferous in his condemnation of Murali if his own action was anything other than squeaky-clean?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I have had the good fortune to play against him in the Delhi league in the late sixties/early seventies and he had the most flowing and smooth action that one can imagine. The only time he ever threw was while fielding in the early part of his career. Later, due to shoulder trouble he bowled in his throws too !!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
Thomson.....He had a slingers action. Its well nigh impossible to chuck with that action.
Well If Bedi can be called for Chucking, Anyone can be called.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
At a discount book store, I read a book called "Someone Had to do it - a sports journalist career by D.J. Cameron" . In this book, there is mention of India's tour to New Zealand of 1968. The author (a NZ cricket journalist)states that the Indian Team were very certain, a NZ bowler called Gary Bartlett, was throwing. But the umpires (being both New Zealanders) refused to call him. The Indians who were very angry then got their bowler Abid Ali, to bowl mimicking this bowler called Bartlett. To their annoyance, Umpire Fred Goodall immediately called Abid Ali for throwing.

The reason I quote the above is to find out from cricket historians amongst you, of similar happenings in Test cricket. In the good old days of Home Umpires, there must have been several bowlers who were throwing but got away without ever being called. Of course there are some who throw their faster balls even today, but have had the luxury of being treated as prime examples of pace bowling and never ever been called.( You know who they are). Anyway, I am interested in hearing about bowlers who never got called despite being throwers.

Last edited:

ash chaulk

International Captain
i remember someone calling brett lee a chucker... probably just jelous that they cant bowl as quick.

Ash Chaulk is another chucker i know of

Sudeep

International Captain
*** Sarcasm ***

He is God. For me he is the greatest cricketer ever. Period.

And he doesn't suck. End of discussion.