• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI Modern Country Draft Vote

Select your top 2 teams

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Poll for the http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/77440-odi-modern-country-draft-2000s.html]ODI MODERN COUNTRY DRAFT

1)Vote for the top 2 teams.
2)Managers please don't vote for your own team

SillyCowCorner1
1. Chris Gayle (WI)
2. Paul Stirling (OTHER)
3. Ramnaresh Sarwan (WI)
4. Marcus Trescothick (ENG)
5. Inzamam-ul-Haq (PAK)
6. Mark Boucher + (SA)
7. Daniel Vettori (NZ)
8. Mashrafe Mortaza (OTHER)
9. Nuwan Kulasekara (SL)
10. Zaheer Khan (IND)
11. Glenn McGrath (AUS)

Himannv

01. Brendan McCullum+
02. Rohit Sharma
03. Aravinda de Silva
04. Joe Root
05. Michael Clarke*
06. David Miller
07. Shakib al Hasan
08. Nathan Bracken
09. Saqlain Mushtaq
10. Dale Steyn
11. Jerome Taylor

randycricfreak-SuperStarXI
TM Dilshan (SL)
Tamim Iqbal (OTHER)
Virat Kohli (IND)
Ricky Ponting (AUS) (C)
AB De Villiers (SA)
Carl Hooper (WI)
Andrew Flintoff (ENG)
Shane Warne (AUS)
Saeed Ajmal (PAK)
Trent Boult (NZ)
Lasith Malinga (SL)

weldone
1. Shahid Afridi (5)
2. Graeme Smith
3. Brian Lara
4. Ross Taylor
5. Kevin Pietersen
6. MS Dhoni *+
7. Steve Tikolo (6)
8. Shaun Pollock (1)
9. Mitchell Starc (3)
10. Chaminda Vaas (2)
11. Ajantha Mendis (4)

Oblongballs

1. Hashim Amla SA
2. Virender Sehwag IND (7)
3. Ryan Ten Doeschate NL (6)
4. Mohammad Yousuf PAK
5. Jos Buttler ENG
6. QDK SA wk
7. Scott Styris NZ (5)
8. DJ Bravo WI (3)
9. Murali SL (4)
10. Brett Lee AUS (2)
11. Waqar Younis PAK c (1)

Teuton

Sachin Tendulkar
Saeed Anwar
Kumar Sangakkara
Steve Smith
Eoin Morgan
Mike Hussey
Lance Klusener
Shane Bond
Darren Gough
Anil Kumble
Curtly Ambrose

kingkallis-CricZo XI

1. Sanath Jayasuriya / o (SL)
2. Mark Waugh / (AUS)
3. Jacques Kallis / o (SA)
4. Andy Flower / + (OTHER)
5. Yuvraj Singh / o (IND)
6. Paul Collingwood / o (ENG)
7. Andrew Symonds / o (AUS)
8. Chris Cairns / o (NZ)
9. Wasim Akram o / (PAK)
10. Sunil Narine o (WI)
11. Allan Donald o (SA)

mr_mister
Adam Gilchrist +
Sourav Ganguly * 8
Nathan Astle 6
Michael Bevan 7
Mahela Jayawardene
Jonty Rhodes
Abdul Razzaq 5
Heath Streak 3
Graeme Swann 4
Shoaib Akthar 2
Courtney Walsh 1

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Justifications for the teams.

kingkallis-CricZo XI

1. Sanath Jayasuriya / o (SL)
2. Mark Waugh / (AUS)
3. Jacques Kallis / o (SA)
4. Andy Flower / + (OTHER)
5. Yuvraj Singh / o (IND)
6. Paul Collingwood / o (ENG)
7. Andrew Symonds / o (AUS)
8. Chris Cairns / o (NZ)
9. Wasim Akram o / (PAK)
10. Sunil Narine o (WI)
11. Allan Donald o (SA)

This team bats deeeeeeeeep and has unbelievable bowling options to chose from.

- Jayasuriya and Waugh can go off to a flier as they did in nearly 500 ODIs out of 689 they played
- Jacques Kallis, Andy Flower and Paul Collingwood holds the innings whilst power hitters around them helps the team cross 300 regularly
- Yuvraj, Symonds, Cairns, Wasim can easily score at high SRs which will lift the total from 153/2 after 30 overs to 335/7 at the end of the innings.

- Wasim Akram and Chris Cairns will open the bowling ( 20 overs )
- Allan Donald will be the first change bowler as he prefers in ODIs ( 10 overs )
- Sunil Narine will be the main spinner ( 10 overs )
- Jacques Kallis & Paul Collingwood will be other medium pacers whilst Jayasuriya, Symonds, Yuvraj will play their roles on slow, spin friendly tracks ( 10 overs )

randycricfreak-SuperStarXI

TM Dilshan (SL)
Tamim Iqbal (OTHER)
Virat Kohli (IND)
Ricky Ponting (AUS) (C)
AB De Villiers (SA)
Carl Hooper (WI)
Andrew Flintoff (ENG)
Shane Warne (AUS)
Saeed Ajmal (PAK)
Trent Boult (NZ)
Lasith Malinga (SL)

Led by a captain with 2 WC titles under his captaincy.Tamim Iqbal has been terrific run getter as evident in the recent CT17, he will be partnered by Dilshan, with over 10k runs and highest run getter in 2011 WC.The openers will provide an ideal platform for the 3 ODI batting greats in Kohli,Punter and AB to translate the score to a big one. Hooper with his mastery and Flintoff's big hitting abilty should serve this team well further.Warne could be handy with the bat.

Bowling wise Warne is the best leggie and has 293 wickets in the format, was amazing in the 99WC knockouts with the leg spin of his.Boult and Malinga will share the new ball, with Flintoff being the 1st change. Ajmal with his off spon mastery should go on to complement well with the leg spin of Warne.

If need be Hooper, Dilshan can roll their arm over with their offies, their handy record of 193 and 106 ODI wickets each respectively is a true measure of their success with the ball

oblongballs-The Big Ball XI
1. Hashim Amla SA
2. Virender Sehwag IND (7)
3. Ryan Ten Doeschate NL (6)
4. Mohammad Yousuf PAK
5. Jos Buttler ENG
6. QDK SA wk
7. Scott Styris NZ (5)
8. DJ Bravo WI (3)
9. Murali SL (4)
10. Brett Lee AUS (2)
11. Waqar Younis PAK c (1)

So a description for my side, which I shall label "The Big Ball XI".

I have, imo anyway, the best opening combination possible, with Amla a terrific all round batsman who can play in just about any style. Sehwag is a banger and yes, he is limited away from flat tracks but when he gets going, even if its a quick 30, in the modern rule set, it would leave my side 50-60 runs in the pp overs.

Tendo is one of the associate players ever, and not only is a top batsman, he can bring something to the bowling unit.

The middle order is probably second only to randycric's team, with Yousuf having a similar class and ability to Amla and then the wackers in Buttler and QDK. They add depth because they can both keep and ultimately, whoever I decide to be keeper, the other one can be an exceptional fielder.

Then we get down to what is easily the best tail (I know, I know, it's my team but I'm being honest). Styris and Bravo are very good ODI batsmen, can get good scores and extend the batting all the way down to 8.

The bowling...well what can I say. Opening with the greatest ODI bowler ever? Yes please. Need him to wipe out the tail? Tick. Lee compliments Waqar perfectly, both being very quick and having the ability to move the new and old ball. Add to that the best spinner to ever grace the game and then 3 EXTRA bowlers, Bravo, Styris and Tendo. Heck, even Sehwag can add in a few overs.

This is the best all round, all bases covered XI.

Teuton
Sachin Tendulkar
Saeed Anwar
Kumar Sangakkara
Steve Smith
Eoin Morgan
Mike Hussey
Lance Klusener
Shane Bond
Darren Gough
Anil Kumble
Curtly Ambrose

I have an awesome top 7 with big century makers in the top 4 and great finishers/hitters from 5-7. Bond and Ambrose are as good as any opening bowlers backed by a legitimate 5 man attack.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
First of all a big thankyou goes for all the draft enthusiasts who participated in this draft.

We've seen good decent ODI players being picked from the post 2000s lot.At the end of the day we got to separate the teams and pick a winner.Looking at the teams I felt Teuton managed to come up with a really balanced XI. Two gun openers in Sachin and Anwar followed by the ever consistent Sanga and Smith. Morgan's pick was absolutely brilliant as he was picked from the OTHER category. Two proven finishers in Klusener and Hussey. Consistency, run scoring ability wise Teuton's batting ticks all the boxes. But did Sanga,Smith dominate good bowling attacks?

Bowling-wise he has 4 straighfoward bowling options.With Klusener being the other. Thinking of 6/7 bowling optiions there's Sachin,Smith,Hussey who roll their arms.
Overall really good lineup, with a really good XI.On paper doesn't seem to have any flaw whatsoever. So one of my votes go to Teuton .

Deciding the 2nd vote was a bit difficult. It was between kk and weldone.KK has really good options with both bat and ball.Really good ODI picks.Two world class ODI bowlers in Wasim, and Donald.As I said earlier Narine is a bit iffy.But weldone have enough and more options to cover him,picking the likes of Sanath, Yuvi who were really good match winning spinning allrounders. They should complement well with Narine. Not to forget Kallis as well, so he has enough and more comfort with bowling options. I won't have second thoughts in calling this the team with the best all-round bowling attack.

weldone on the other hand has some really good names in his middler order with the likes of Lara,KP,Taylor etc. Plus there's Dhoni and Pollock who are ODI ATGs. He has 5 straighforward bowling options with little support options.I'm not sure how Afridi qualifies as an opener, True he started off as an opener, but played the bulk of his games as a lower middle order bat with leg spin.Mendis however is a better pick than Narine, but again a relatively cut short career.Pollock,Starc, Vaas were classy options in 50 overs. Played the leading bowling roles for great ODI teams and were extremely successful.

It was a fine line between these teams but felt kk had more overall dominance compared to weldone's. KK should stop 25-30 runs in the cover region thanks to his amazeballs fielders in Collingwood,

About oblongballs,Felt Tendo@3 wasn't the best of options, for someone who dominated associate attacks mainly.I don't rate Sehwag that highly as an opener. He should have de Kock opening with Amla, prolly shouldn't have had Sehwag at all.Middle order does have talent, but doesn't struck as a really good ODI combo to me.4th/5th bowling options a real big concern for me,I can't see how the likes of Bravo,Tendo,Sehwag,Styris can account for 20 overs.Still a pretyy good ODI squad.Murali,Waqar and Lee are ODI bowling ATGS, support bowling is the concern.

Other teams were OK,but just didn't have enough spice for me.

So for me the top 2 are,

Teuton
kk

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Very difficult to pick. All teams are balanced and quite strong. If I am allowed a criticism of the format perhaps the constraints of the draft were not very hard.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Very difficult to pick. All teams are balanced and quite strong. If I am allowed a criticism of the format perhaps the constraints of the draft were not very hard.
This was post 2000s ODI draft.
Plus there was a pick from OTHER category as well.
I wonder why you didn't play if this darft wasn't hard.I wanted to have a good balanced XIs rather than teams filled with a Bangladeshi, Zimbabwe,Afghan and an Irish each.

Plus most associate teams don't play ODIs apart from major ODI tourneys.
This wasn't a scorecard or a never met draft.So live with it.If you're not seeing the restrictions here,I suggest you better go back to the original post and see.

Plus you didn't do any good for this draft either, initially saying you will participate and after sometime saying you're not interested.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Chill man. :)

I didn't play because I generally prefer test drafts as I tend to know test stats top of my head. I was a bit busy too.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
I didnt want to vote for my own team so I picked randy's, as I believe it's the best team outside of my own. Himan's is pretty good too with Kallis rounding out at 4th place.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surprise that no one is even mentioning Gayle, Boucher, and this combo (Sarwan and McGrath) in the same team, with Vettori topping it off.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Voted for randy and kk

Kk - why are you wasting Symonds at 7? Swap him and Collingwood imo.

kingkallis

International Coach
I'd probably have played him at 5 if I were you, with Yuvraj at 6 and Collingwood at 7. He mostly bats there anyway.
Sam, I have the luxury to bat him down the order due to a very long batting line up but yeah a reshuffle in the batting line up would happen depending on the situation.

Symonds
Yuvraj
Collingwood
Cairns

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Honestly IMO, a middle order of:

Virat Kohli (IND)
Ricky Ponting (AUS) (C)
AB De Villiers (SA)

is going to win 9/10 games against any opposition.

But then Teuton went and drafted an amazing team.

Great draft, well done everyone.