• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's Future - The Real Tests

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
There is a lot of positivity, not only among Australian fans but also the Australian players following this Ashes. They are at their highest in years BUT there are some serious questions that will be asked of Smith, the Marsh bros, Khawaja, Starc, Hazlewood, Lyon and Cummins in SA during the month of March. 4 tests, in quick succession, against a side that beat them in their own backyard. Have all of these players matured into a side that can win away as they did the last time in SA, or will they fold?

Then, things only get tougher, with an expected tour of the UAE in October. Australia were hammered last time out and looked hapless in Asia in general. Pakistan now lack their two great generals but still have a bowling unit perfectly suited for those conditions. Yasir Shah is a menace and they will likely play a second spinner. Australia's talisman, Smith, has not done so well in away tests against Pakistan, probably having his weakest record against them. Can he turn it around? How useful will Starc be? Can Lyon be as effective?

If Australia come through this sternest of away seasons, winning or at least drawing in the UAE and avenging SA, then they are, in my humble opinion, the top test side this year.

Let's see what this team can do, because the tough tests are just beginning.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There is a lot of positivity, not only among Australian fans but also the Australian players following this Ashes. They are at their highest in years BUT there are some serious questions that will be asked of Smith, the Marsh bros, Khawaja, Starc, Hazlewood, Lyon and Cummins in SA during the month of March. 4 tests, in quick succession, against a side that beat them in their own backyard. Have all of these players matured into a side that can win away as they did the last time in SA, or will they fold?

Then, things only get tougher, with an expected tour of the UAE in October. Australia were hammered last time out and looked hapless in Asia in general. Pakistan now lack their two great generals but still have a bowling unit perfectly suited for those conditions. Yasir Shah is a menace and they will likely play a second spinner. Australia's talisman, Smith, has not done so well in away tests against Pakistan, probably having his weakest record against them. Can he turn it around? How useful will Starc be? Can Lyon be as effective?

If Australia come through this sternest of away seasons, winning or at least drawing in the UAE and avenging SA, then they are, in my humble opinion, the top test side this year.

Let's see what this team can do, because the tough tests are just beginning.
He's only played 2 Tests. And he averaged over 40 anyway. Which was about his career average at the time, it was before he kicked off his current run of form that started with the Indian series.

Just saying.

Chrish

International Debutant
They beat SA last two or three times when they toured.

And Smith was still a leg spinner when he toured UAE last time iirc.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
They beat SA last two or three times when they toured.

And Smith was still a leg spinner when he toured UAE last time iirc.
This revisionism.. No he damn well wasn't. Only wound up bowling during Misbah's record fast century iirc. And he averaged less than thirty just last year in Bangladesh.

Burgey

TBF to the OP, I won't be sold on Smith's greatness either until he makes a double hundred against Warne and Murali while batting in a crater on Mars.

"This is the test for Steve Smith. He has to blah blah blah". Spare me this ****. He's done well everywhere. Fancy citing an away average of over 40 in one country with a sample size of two tests to indicate he's unproven. **** took down India in India ffs. The hardest part of touring the UAE for TPC will be the unavailability of a celebratory beer after he makes another double hundred.

Edit: I see Tec15 has popped in with his usual brand of positivity too. Bit light on the snark and dickishness by usual standards, but the day is but young.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The SA tests will be awesome if both sides can keep their quicks on the park.

Slifer

International Captain
I fully expect RSA to choke and Oz to beat them away. RSA hasn't won at home vs Oz since readmission. In UAE is a toss up for me. Then I believe they're home to India; anything less than 2-0 (I assume they're playing 4 tests) should be considered a failure.

Steve Smith has nothing left to prove. He's made runs before in: RSA, England and India. The teams with the toughest attacks outside his own. Wish him well in these upcoming tours.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Re: Australia in Asia, I think what bodes well for them in the past 12 months is that for the first time in a generation, their batsmen have been trying to reign in their egos and bat in an attritional manner instead of their patented attacking style and thinking whatever works in Oz will work anywhere. It didn't work all the time in India and Bangladesh but the signs were promising.

Spark

Global Moderator
i feel that oblongballs isn't aware of what actually happened on the india tour at all

Gob

International Coach
This revisionism.. No he damn well wasn't. Only wound up bowling during Misbah's record fast century iirc. And he averaged less than thirty just last year in Bangladesh.
538 posts of pointlessness

Gob

International Coach
He's only played 2 Tests. And he averaged over 40 anyway. Which was about his career average at the time, it was before he kicked off his current run of form that started with the Indian series.

Just saying.
Made 97 or something but also got a duck which ****ed his average

Daemon

Lol at people getting so defensive over Smith. OP said absolutely nothing about Smith needing to 'prove himself'. Garbage posting.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Imagine taking one sentence from the OP's post and getting your panties in a twist. Rubbish posting.

Their biggest test of the past year was the India tour where they did way better than expected. I think they have a serious shot at winning in the UAE as Pakistan post Younis-Misbah look very mediocre. They'll have a great shot in England too... Anderson will be near the end by then, probably Cook too.

TheJediBrah

Lol at people getting so defensive over Smith. OP said absolutely nothing about Smith needing to 'prove himself'. Garbage posting from the rest.
Imagine taking one sentence from the OP's post and getting your panties in a twist. Rubbish posting.

Their biggest test of the past year was the India tour where they did way better than expected. I think they have a serious shot at winning in the UAE as Pakistan post Younis-Misbah look very mediocre. They'll have a great shot in England too... Anderson will be near the end by then, probably Cook too.
I never said there was anything wrong with OPs post or that the Smith thing was a big deal ffs

That's why I said "just saying". It was a small correction.

Daemon

I never said there was anything wrong with OPs post or that the Smith thing was a big deal ffs

That's why I said "just saying". It was a small correction.
Yeah wasn't referring to you, sorry if it seemed that way.

Niall

International Coach
Pakistan lost in the UAE 2-0 V Sri Lanka ffs. No Younis, Misbah and heck dare I say Hafeez, they look very vulnerable right now. I'd make them slight favs for that tour right now tbh.

They always do well in South Africa tbf.

vcs

Think they will win in UAE, Pakistan's Test team has been on a steady decline since their heroic series draw in England. Without Misbah/Younis, they look mediocre ATM.

SA will be interesting, I'll be cheering for the home team. :) But historically, playing in SA is like a home series for Australia. So if they win both series, they will be clearly the best Test team going around.

OverratedSanity

Pakistan will be tough to beat if Amir and Hasan Ai manage to improve over the next few years. But their batting needs a lot of work. Azhar is the only world class batsman they have... I had hopes for Shafiq but he's seriously inconsistent.