• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's Future - The Real Tests

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Knowing Lyon he'll be garbage but still take a bunch of wickets caught at deep midwicket or mid off or some rubbish and people will talk about how well he bowled to the conditions and how he forced the Pakistan batsmen into those shots

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh no doubt. He'll also take some soft lefty wickets after the quicks do the job.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Lyon's issue was more how they were able to sweep him so much, he couldn't bring any variations into play when Younis and Misbah kept sweeping the hell out of him.
Pakistan have no one of that quality now, with Azam looking a bit lost in test cricket. Ali is a fine batsman and Shafiq might step up but many of the others will fall to lyon. I can just see it now.

So much Lyon butt hurt. Best finger spinner in the world.
Can't argue with that too much. I think Lyon has really come into his own in the last 18 months or so.

Niall

International Coach
Pakistan have no one of that quality now, with Azam looking a bit lost in test cricket. Ali is a fine batsman and Shafiq might step up but many of the others will fall to lyon. I can just see it now.

Can't argue with that too much. I think Lyon has really come into his own in the last 18 months or so.
Azhar is a gun, but can be vulnerable to spin as sometimes he can get bogged down a little to easily. Azam has shown nothing that would indicate he is ready for test cricket either.

I'd be hoping for Pakistan's sake they recall Fawad who while obviously nowhere as capable against spin as the legends but still should be able to handle Lyon etc better than many other in that side.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
No love for Maharaj, avg 25 in his 15 games having played in the spin friendly conditions of Aus, SA and Eng.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Maharaj is good but it's not just numbers. Lyon has more to his game, as do Ashwin and Herath. That will come with experience of course. He will be a factor when Aus play against him, I think Khawaja, Warner and the Marsh bros could be ripe for the taking.

Gob

International Coach
Maharaj is good but it's not just numbers. Lyon has more to his game, as do Ashwin and Herath. That will come with experience of course. He will be a factor when Aus play against him, I think Khawaja, Warner and the Marsh bros could be ripe for the taking.
Yes Warner will struggle against an Orthodox spinner in South Africa that too while the ball is turning in to him

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
It will be a contest, or at least I hope it will.

The more we talk about it, the more I want the current appetiser to be over so we can get to the main course.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
I don't get why everyone in here is talking about a 2 test tour against Pakistan later in the year, when there is an absolute cracker of a tour right around the corner.

Philander, Morkel, Rabada, Maharaj vs Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins, Lyon

Is just about as good as it gets at the moment, especially on South African pitches.

Starc and Hazlewood have never played a test in SA, Cummins looked like the demon child of Alan Donald the last time he toured there and his pace was increasing by the game against England.

Seriously poses to be an absolute cracker, the bating lineups look far more even now than they did 6 months ago imo. Mitch Marsh has definately grown as a player over the last 12 months and looks a different prospect. Starc and Hazlewood have never toured there
De Kock is out of form, AB vs Smith, Khawaja vs Amla. Warner is Warner and his record in SA is ridiculous....

What a series this will be..

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
So glad it's a four test series, too. Previous one before last was only 2 wasn't it? And 3 didn't feel like enough last time given the absolutely lop-sided results of each match.

Will probably be the most interesting series in a long time.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
I don't get why everyone in here is talking about a 2 test tour against Pakistan later in the year, when there is an absolute cracker of a tour right around the corner.

Philander, Morkel, Rabada, Maharaj vs Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins, Lyon

Is just about as good as it gets at the moment, especially on South African pitches.

Starc and Hazlewood have never played a test in SA, Cummins looked like the demon child of Alan Donald the last time he toured there and his pace was increasing by the game against England.

Seriously poses to be an absolute cracker, the bating lineups look far more even now than they did 6 months ago imo. Mitch Marsh has definately grown as a player over the last 12 months and looks a different prospect. Starc and Hazlewood have never toured there
De Kock is out of form, AB vs Smith, Khawaja vs Amla. Warner is Warner and his record in SA is ridiculous....

What a series this will be..
Both series have been talked about. Pakistan might have been mentioned a bit more simply because Australia looked horrible in the UAE last time and have recently lost to Bang in Asia. They have a far better history in SA but yes, it is a terrific series, which is why I mentioned both.