• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's Future - The Real Tests

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
He's only played 2 Tests. And he averaged over 40 anyway. Which was about his career average at the time, it was before he kicked off his current run of form that started with the Indian series.

Just saying.
They beat SA last two or three times when they toured.

And Smith was still a leg spinner when he toured UAE last time iirc.
You are both seemingly confused. Smith was a middle order batsman during the UAE tour and barely bowled 10 overs at a time. This was post making an Ashes century against England, in England. He was very much a batsman at this stage, although I can't be bothered looking up his test average. He did almost get a century in the UAE is I remember correctly but he was nowhere as comfortable as he has been against other teams.

It would be correct in saying he wasn't at his best but to call him a leg spinner at that time is not true.

Which is why I said, it will be important to see how this version of Smith does. It's a test of just how much he has developed.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You are both seemingly confused. Smith was a middle order batsman during the UAE tour and barely bowled 10 overs at a time. This was post making an Ashes century against England, in England. He was very much a batsman at this stage, although I can't be bothered looking up his test average. He did almost get a century in the UAE is I remember correctly but he was nowhere as comfortable as he has been against other teams.

It would be correct in saying he wasn't at his best but to call him a leg spinner at that time is not true.

Which is why I said, it will be important to see how this version of Smith does. It's a test of just how much he has developed.
I doesn't seem that you actually read the post of mine that you quoted

And no I am not confused, you are confused

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Lol at people getting so defensive over Smith. OP said absolutely nothing about Smith needing to 'prove himself'. Garbage posting.
Thank you. I was just reading through this thread and at no point did I try and demean Smith's quality. In fact, I talked him up as being a "talisman". My point is simply that he needs to score more runs v Pak, because he doesn't seem to be as dominant vs them as he is against other sides. And him scoring runs only makes it a more competitive series and hopefully better than last time.

Some of these posters need to get their heads out their....

TheJediBrah

Thank you. I was just reading through this thread and at no point did I try and demean Smith's quality. In fact, I talked him up as being a "talisman". My point is simply that he needs to score more runs v Pak, because he doesn't seem to be as dominant vs them as he is against other sides. And him scoring runs only makes it a more competitive series and hopefully better than last time.

Some of these posters need to get their heads out their....
Firstly, the people defending Smith weren't so much responding to you as to this other guy that came along a few posts later.

Secondly, you still don't seem to understand that the bolded above^, is rubbish. As I said, he only played 2 Tests against them in the UAE. And he performed at the level of his career average in those 2 Tests anyway.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
I doesn't seem that you actually read the post of mine that you quoted

And no I am not confused, you are confused
As you can see, I quoted another post besides yours but my point still stands. HIs away avg (playing in Eng and in the UAE) against Pak is 34, it is bolstered by a good 90 odd but he didn't look so good.

Since then, he played one of THE innings in India and I think got a second century there too. However, he was slightly brought back down to earth v the likes of sl and bang. So there is obviously motivation for Smith to do well against Pak, in the tough conditions of the UAE.

TheJediBrah

As you can see, I quoted another post besides yours but my point still stands. HIs away avg (playing in Eng and in the UAE) against Pak is 34, it is bolstered by a good 90 odd but he didn't look so good.

Since then, he played one of THE innings in India and I think got a second century there too. However, he was slightly brought back down to earth v the likes of sl and bang. So there is obviously motivation for Smith to do well against Pak, in the tough conditions of the UAE.
The games in England were in 2010, and yes he was a bowler. I don't see why all this is so hard for you to understand.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Firstly, the people defending Smith weren't so much responding to you as to this other guy that came along a few posts later.

Secondly, you still don't seem to understand that the bolded above^, is rubbish. As I said, he only played 2 Tests against them in the UAE. And he performed at the level of his career average in those 2 Tests anyway.
And you don't seem to understand what I have typed in plain English. He was not as dominant against Pak in the UAE. I have not disregarded the stage he was at in his career, but he was still a middle order batsman with an Ashes century under his belt.

AND it is why I said this could be Smith's time when it comes to playing in the UAE.

All of you seem to have taken it overally personal, considering I also mentioned other top Aussie players who must now play just as well in the coming series. Take it or leave it.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Anyway, hopefully the snow flakes can shut up now and we can get back to actual cricketing discussions beyond just "oh Smith is perfect wah wah wah".

So, how well do people think bowlers like Starc and Hazlewood will do in the UAE? Or heck, against the likes of SA who are used to playing that sort of pace and movement?

Ultimately, will lyon be as good on UAE pitches? They do not turn anywhere near as much as India or SL. Lyon v Shah should be an interesting contest.

TheJediBrah

And you don't seem to understand what I have typed in plain English. He was not as dominant against Pak in the UAE. I have not disregarded the stage he was at in his career, but he was still a middle order batsman with an Ashes century under his belt.

AND it is why I said this could be Smith's time when it comes to playing in the UAE.

All of you seem to have taken it overally personal, considering I also mentioned other top Aussie players who must now play just as well in the coming series. Take it or leave it.
I'm not taking anything personally, just pointing out that "Smith needs to prove himself away against Pakistan" is simply garbage. Take it or leave it.

The only reason he hasn't done the same against them as everyone else is, 1) he only played 2 Tests against them, 2) it was before he peaked, and hasn't played them away since.

Anyway, hopefully the snow flakes can shut up now and we can get back to actual cricketing discussions beyond just "oh Smith is perfect wah wah wah".

So, how well do people think bowlers like Starc and Hazlewood will do in the UAE? Or heck, against the likes of SA who are used to playing that sort of pace and movement?

Ultimately, will lyon be as good on UAE pitches? They do not turn anywhere near as much as India or SL. Lyon v Shah should be an interesting contest.
You don't need to get so upset because someone points out when you say something stupid. It's not a big deal, just move on.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Australia lost to SL 3-0 in 2016.
Most bats looked clueless against spin.Khawaja was absurd, missing straight deliveries.
Smith looked the best.
Warner was alright.
SSC test where the batted the best had Shaun Marsh in it who scored a really good hundred.

SL team was really young in terms of batting

Stronger Sri Lankan teams were massacred by Australia twice in the post 2000s 3-0 to be exact.One in 2004 and the other in 2011,when we had better all round players compared to 2016.
SL had Sanga,Mahela,Dilshan,Samaraweera for both the series.
Further Atapattu, Jayasuriya,Murali,Vaas played in 2004
And Herath,Mathews in 2011.

These are not unplayable conditions.When AUS toured SL, in 2011,they had Lyon debuting, and Trent Copeland was a pacer,yet they bowled well against the likes of Sanga,Mahela, Samaraweera,Dilshan.
Hussey,Clarke, Ponting did the rest with the bat.

This AUS team has the potential, now we see that roles have been defined for them.So it's a good thing.Hopefully they do well in SC
Great breakdown.

It is certainly a more winnable series now, with Younis and Misbah missing. A lot of young/inexperienced batsmen will have to pick up the pace and score big runs. But in turn Shah has been in terrific form non stop since his debut and he loves bowling in the UAE. The ball does not turn huge amounts, so spinners have to be accurate and unlike a lot of leggies, Shah is unusually accurate and that's how he gets most of his wickets.

Khawaja will be immensely tested, as will Bancroft or whoever else plays. Warner recently has shown a bit more patience and he will need it in abundance on the dry, do nothing tracks down in Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

How will Amir and Hasan cope as opposed to Starc and Hazlewood? I actually think the latter will pick up more wickets.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
I'm not taking anything personally, just pointing out that "Smith needs to prove himself away against Pakistan" is simply garbage. Take it or leave it.

The only reason he hasn't done the same against them as everyone else is, 1) he only played 2 Tests against them, 2) it was before he peaked, and hasn't played them away since.

You don't need to get so upset because someone points out when you say something stupid. It's not a big deal, just move on.
You keep providing reasons for him not having done well...and yet that's the whole point. For you to think an elite sportsman has nothing to prove (I never said that anyway) is ridiculous. You seem obviously hurt by those numbers, don't worry, Smithy will kiss your boo boos better during the next tour.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Lyon has really matured since he was last in the UAE and he won't have Wade dropping his catches so things should improve for him.

Smith is a way better bat than he was last time. Starc is able to take the pitch out of the equation. These three will be Australia's key players. Cummins will be good there too. Haze less so.

Our batting is likely to be found out.

I rate our team in South African conditions and think that more will depend on how players perform on the day than talent levels. Both sides should be fairly evenly matched. Should be a cracker of a series.

TheJediBrah

I do realise I picked up on a very small part of your initial post to initially comment on, and it steered the thread in an overly combative direction. Sorry about that. It was a silly thing to say though.

And ftr I don't even really like Smith, of all Australians I'm probably his least fan-like. I talk a lot more **** about that pre-pubescent looking socially awkward **** than I ever praise him.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
I think Lyon has really matured since he was last in the UAE and he won't have Wade dropping his catches so things should improve for him.

Smith is a way better bat than he was last time. Starc is able to take the pitch out of the equation. These three will be Australia's key players. Cummins will be good there too. Haze less so.

Our batting is likely to be found out.

I rate our team in South African conditions and think that more will depend on how players perform on the day than talent levels. Both sides should be fairly evenly matched. Should be a cracker of a series.
Yes, Aus v SA could shape up to be series of the year and in all honesty, if the UAE tour goes ahead, so could that, as Pak in this post MisYou are no longer as dominant in the UAE.

This year, we should be seeing Rabada, Starc, Amir, Shah, Hazlewood, Lyon, Morkel, Philander all in action against each other.

Victor Ian

International Coach
just a thought - hopefully cricinfo reads this and passes it on. They should get Warne to be a net bowler in the UAE boot camp. Then again, it's probably too much of a jail risk for him over there.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Lyon's issue was more how they were able to sweep him so much, he couldn't bring any variations into play when Younis and Misbah kept sweeping the hell out of him.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
:laugh: Some of these touchy Aussie fans seem to taking a page out of the archetypal Indian Sachin, Kohli fanatic's book. Whats' next, proclaiming Smith "God"?
Losing their rag so easily at any perceived slight to Smith, sad really.

Daemon

Well I guess this thread is done.

Ftr Smith will score runs for fun in the UAE. He'll get one that stays a bit low early on, he'll fall over playing it then do that weird thing where he looks at the pitch and frowns at it while shrugging. He'll then slam a double hundred.

Lyon will be garbage, can't wait for that.