• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Team for New Zealand Series

broadyfan94

Cricket Spectator
1) Hameed
2) Cook
3) Root
4) Lawrence/Clarke
5) Malan
6) Bairstow
7) Stokes
8) Woakes
9) Broad
10) Anderson
11) Leach

Stoneman and Vince with test batting averages of 27 and 23 and Moeen Ali with a test batting average of 32 and test bowling average of 40 after 49 tests are 3 of the worst cricket players I have ever seen play for England and have no right to make the team for the Newzealand series.

Hameed with a test average just shy of 44 should have never been dropped - only opener to excel with Cook since Strauss retired and should come back in the side. Would be an awful decision to persist with an Opener who averages 27 and leave out someone who has shown his capabilities in test cricket and lets face it there is no other opener in the county set up making a claim for a starting spot.

In the middle order there are not many batsman staking a claim for a place in the side. Dan Lawrence(20) and Joe Clarke(21) are the obvious candidates. Both have already appeared in over 40 county championship matches despite being only 20 and 21 and respectively average 42 and 43 in first class cricket. Another option is Liam Livingstone who despite not making his first class debut until he was 22 has a first class average just shy of 50 and could potentially be a great player for England.

I would either bring in Leach or Bess in place of Moeen. Bess at 20 has already taken 49 first class wickets in 12 matches at 22 apiece and Leach has taken 116 county championship 1st division wickets in the past 2 seasons and surely deserves a chance in the side to show what he can do.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ali ain't getting dropped.

Stoneman and Vince are worth being persisted with, though I could see Stoneman becoming Wagner's bunny.

Broad needs to step up and bowl better.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When was the last time a spinner did well in NZ? They're only there to give the seamers a break, given the roady wickets (after a couple of sessions) NZ prepare nowadays. I would probably drop him (with an assurance that he'd be strongly considered for the English summer), ask Malan and Root to bowl part-time spin and bring in TRJ in his place if he's available.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
When was the last time a spinner did well in NZ? They're only there to give the seamers a break, given the roady wickets (after a couple of sessions) NZ prepare nowadays. I would probably drop him (with an assurance that he'd be strongly considered for the English summer), ask Malan and Root to bowl part-time spin and bring in TRJ in his place if he's available.
Maharaj, last NZ summer. Took the most wickets overall. The summer before Lyon took 10 @ 22 from 2 Tests.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
With Stokes out indefinitely it's a whole lot harder to drop Ali for balance reasons. WOakes being useless doesn't help either. Can't exactly see England playing three seamers and Crane/Leach.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Oh.

Ignore what I said, then.
Nah, you have a point. Both Maharaj and Lyon had great seamer support, though, which was probably the difference between how they fared and the likes of Herath, for instance.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Root should definitely bat at three, but that is by and large something he has stubbornly resisted to do. Seems rather selfish to me.

theegyptian

Was pretty terrible when they brought ballance back and batted him at 3, with Root at 4, when they'd been batting in opposite positions for Yorkshire. I really didn't know what they expected to happen there.

FBU

International Debutant
It seems Stoneman and Vince are to be given another chance because they faced the best attack in the world.
Can't wait for them to face Boult, Southee, Wagner, Santner. Hopefully after NZ that will be the end of them, to be replaced by Hameed and Livingstone.

vcs

Nah, you have a point. Both Maharaj and Lyon had great seamer support, though, which was probably the difference between how they fared and the likes of Herath, for instance.
He's had an absolutely miserable series, I think it would make sense to give him some time off TBH.

Zinzan

So what's changed with the Stoke's situation since he was left out of the Ashes? It's still pending the full police investigation isn't it?

S.Kennedy

Was pretty terrible when they brought ballance back and batted him at 3, with Root at 4, when they'd been batting in opposite positions for Yorkshire. I really didn't know what they expected to happen there.
That is a good point: Root bats at three for Yorkshire! Why then the aversion to it for England - it makes no sense? And when Handscomb played, Ballance dropped down to five I believe but Root still played at three. I cannot make head or tail of Joe Root's aversion to it for England - I really can't.