• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2018

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Wtf......that's crazy. I knew it had been a while but 50 years???? How is that even so?

This whole beating each other away realy is the biggest anomaly in modern cricket.

SeamUp

International Coach
Wtf......that's crazy. I knew it had been a while but 50 years???? How is that even so?

This whole beating each other away realy is the biggest anomaly in modern cricket.
Our 4-0 win was 69/70

Banned for 20 years.

McGrath, Warne, Clarke & Johnson have had worldy tours here since re-admission. Also remember a couple of chases at Wanderers with Lee and then Cummins getting Oz over the line.

The only solace as you say has been our 3 wins in a row in Oz. Our first tour to Oz we also drew.

But the majority of our series are always competitive and great viewing.

Australia wins and draws in SA

2013/14 : 2-1
2011/12 : 1-1
2008/09 : 2-1
2005/06 : 3-0 (this was the Clark series)
2001/02 : 2-1
1996/97 : 2-1
1993/94 : 1-1

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Well being excluded from Test cricket for 22 years doesn't help.

The last few series have been weird though. Probably just a case of Australia being in form at the time. Also the conditions are comparable which makes touring a bit easier.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah Im well aware of the 20 years exculsion but it is still a bizzare state of affairs for both sides. When you consider Aus hasnt won in Eng in 19 years and for most of that time you'd say SA were a stronger side than us......it gives it some context.

Daemon

Not having to adapt to the duke probably helps somewhat as well. Pitches in England have also been traditionally slower than Aus/SA.

TheJediBrah

Yeah Im well aware of the 20 years exculsion but it is still a bizzare state of affairs for both sides. When you consider Aus hasnt won in Eng in 19 years and for most of that time you'd say SA were a stronger side than us......it gives it some context.
Maths a little off

Heboric

International Debutant
Our 4-0 win was 69/70

Banned for 20 years.

McGrath, Warne, Clarke & Johnson have had worldy tours here since re-admission. Also remember a couple of chases at Wanderers with Lee and then Cummins getting Oz over the line.

The only solace as you say has been our 3 wins in a row in Oz. Our first tour to Oz we also drew.

But the majority of our series are always competitive and great viewing.

We won 3 - 1 in 1966 as well

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

So many scars... hopefully this is the series to change all that....

SeamUp

International Coach
So many scars... hopefully this is the series to change all that....
Tell me about it. Before our recent humiliation in India and home series defeat against England I would say that Stuart Clarke series was our worst since re-admission. Really hit hard at the time. Remember going when he blew us away at Newlands.

One of the great things about the Aussies since we've come back is even when they not on the top of their game they a toughnut to crack and that is with us playing good cricket.

Pity we couldn't play them more in the 70s and 80s to add to the 2 60s series wins. :D

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Tell me about it. Before our recent humiliation in India and home series defeat against England I would say that Stuart Clarke series was our worst since re-admission. Really hit hard at the time. Remember going when he blew us away at Newlands.

One of the great things about the Aussies since we've come back is even when they not on the top of their game they a toughnut to crack and that is with us playing good cricket.

Pity we couldn't play them more in the 70s and 80s to add to the 2 60s series wins. :D
The Clarke series in 05/06 was unexpected for the final results of 3-0 which is never nice, but the Johnson series hurt me more because it was our strongest team yet and we just hit one man on a rampage...

vcs

There were lots of scrubs in the team that won in 2009 also. Andrew McDonald, Bryce McGain, Marcus North.. and names like Hilf, Siddle etc. hardly jump out at you either. SA should really have won that series and the 2011 one.

Marius

International Debutant

Wonder how we would have done against the Aussies in the 1970s and 1980s. I reckon it would have been even in the 1970s (until Packer but we would also have been affected by that), and in the early '80s we would have been the dominant side. Late '80s would have evened up again I reckon.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Was at St. Georges test last time, and was such a great match to watch (and I had a seat in the middle of all the Aussies... Then Newlands went and happened.

OverratedSanity

The Clarke series in 05/06 was unexpected for the final results of 3-0 which is never nice, but the Johnson series hurt me more because it was our strongest team yet and we just hit one man on a rampage...
Eh, it was on the decline right? Kallis was gone and Smith was almost done too.