• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2018

Bolo

State Captain
I don't know Pienaar. Other than Cronje (and Kuiper had he been born a little later), most of those players weren't test standard at all. Most of them played at the same time when we had a serious lack of bowling talent. We have the equivalent in morris, we just don't want him.

Great all rounders are rare. Our current frontline quicks are actually pretty good as a batting unit- far better than almost any team not named South Africa has typically produced without compromising on the bowling to shore up the batting. We just need 1 player for balance of side pretty desperately- someone who can provide some fairly consistent runs and who can supplement the bowling. A batting allrounder would be great, but they are ridiculously rare. A top shelf bowling allrounder would be almost as good, but same issue. A batsman who is a capable part-timer is more realistic, and would still give an unbelievably balanced side. If we can't get any of these and there was a genuinely good bits and pieces player available, I'd be okay with compromising a little on both disciplines a bit for team balance and fielding someone like Klusener.

SeamUp

International Coach
Squad announcement was fine for me. I think it may have been a bigger surprise for Phehlukwayo and Morris; we all knew that the minute Gibson and co thought he was ready, Mulder was going to be picked. Gibson had already made some positive comments. I think that Bavuma coming back has helped the selection along with Ngidi in the squad. It really has become more Mulder in for Morris, Bavuma in for Phehlukwayo which I'm happy with.
Yeah , the selection makes sense in many ways.

I was talking more the timing so that Starc started bumping him & sledging him. The video footage is quite funny.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Real pity. Loss #2 of the big 7 after JP (who much was expected). Just AB, Faf, Hash, Vern & Steyn left now.
I think it's possible that Vern might carry on a bit longer than the others. Not only is he slightly younger but he's probably not going to go to the World Cup, so he wouldn't need to use that as one last hurrah.

SeamUp

International Coach
I think it's possible that Vern might carry on a bit longer than the others. Not only is he slightly younger but he's probably not going to go to the World Cup, so he wouldn't need to use that as one last hurrah.
Possibly. I see he just got married last week. He needs to keep his fitness up. His only real option would be County Cricket.

Steyn is also interesting. He said in an interview recently he just wants to keep playing cricket. He has no retirement plans as he isn't like the others who are married and have children. So his concerns will also be fitness.

Be great to have either of them carry on a bit to get the younger bunch to peak. KG, Ngidi, Olivier (hopefully some others) aren't even there yet.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

I was talking more the timing so that Starc started bumping him & sledging him. The video footage is quite funny.
Mulder is a big boy.... he can always ask Rabada to show Starc what real fast bowling is like!

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Happy to see Lyon put in his place. Starts around the 5 minute mark and ends with Smith having to finish the job himself.

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

It's not good for Mulder tbh, Starc has a track record of only sledging the weakest of blokes.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Abbott will be regretting going Kolpak now mind.

Especially as no IPL contract for him.

Last edited:

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Soon we'll be seeing a pace Attack of Vern, Rabada, Ngidi and Mulder with Olivier as back up. De Kock will need to justify his position at 6 with runs. With Klassen breathing down his neck, it's gonna be hectic.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Soon we'll be seeing a pace Attack of Vern, Rabada, Ngidi and Mulder with Olivier as back up. De Kock will need to justify his position at 6 with runs. With Klassen breathing down his neck, it's gonna be hectic.
I don't even no why this is a discussion at the moment. I like Klaasens and he is in great form and I think that he is going to be a great asset to the LO team. But to have watched QDK play and watch Klaassen play, a far more limited player, and think that QDK is truly under pressure, I don't understand. He struggled the 2nd half of the Eng tour (no SA batsmen did really great) and he has struggled against India now, so we talking he has had a poor run of form for 6 months? he still avg'ed 36 as a wk batting at 6/7 in 2017, just because he no longer avg's his 63 from 2016 does not suddenly make him a bad player. And ultimately he is the SA wk, and he is a better wk than Klaasens from the little I've seen.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
I don't even no why this is a discussion at the mo me I'mnt. I like Klaasens and he is in great form and I think that he is going to be a great asset to the LO team. But to have watched QDK play and watch Klaassen play, a far more limited player, and think that QDK is truly under pressure, I don't understand. He struggled the 2nd half of the Eng tour (no SA batsmen did really great) and he has struggled against India now, so we talking he has had a poor run of form for 6 months? he still avg'ed 36 as a wk batting at 6/7 in 2017, just because he no longer avg's his 63 from 2016 does not suddenly make him a bad player. And ultimately he is the SA wk, and he is a better wk than Klaasens from the little I've seen.
Yes he's better, but competition is always encouraged.

SeamUp

International Coach
Elgar
Markram
Amla
De Villiers
Du Plessis
De Kock
Mulder
Philander
Maharaj
Rabada
Morkel

This can work
This could happen.

Still not sure myself where Bavuma and de Bruyn are though and I want to know. Their next run of games may decide their test futures.