• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2018

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
To be fair to Bancroft, he''s not looking that bad in terms of batting stats in the context of this series. I'm still not convinced he's a long-term prospect for Aus either, but it'd be a shame if his career ended in that way when he was showing some promise. Second innings probably huge, either way, for him in this regard.
Given that pretty much everyone was in on this is there any suspicion that maybe they threw him under the bus a bit here. As in "someone needs to handle the sand-paper, get the young disposable lad involved." If Smith was that eke to cheat surely he could have at least been man enough to do it himself.

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
Also if Smith does lose the captaincy who the heck takes it on, given that Warner's behavior on the same tour would surely disqualify him and nobody else in the team seems to be a totally guaranteed selection outside of the quicks (and we all know seamers don't work) and Nathan Lyon who doesn't seem like the most obviously temperamentally inclined towards leadership.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Also if Smith does lose the captaincy who the heck takes it on, given that Warner's behavior on the same tour would surely disqualify him and nobody else in the team seems to be a totally guaranteed selection outside of the quicks (and we all know seamers don't work) and Nathan Lyon who doesn't seem like the most obviously temperamentally inclined towards leadership.
Kohli imo

Chrish

International Debutant
Honestly this isn't any different than what Faf did. And iirc Smith mentioned during Faf's trial that their saliva contains sugar too when cleaning the ball, indirectly admitting every team does it. I am just surprised they were so stupid to do it out in the open.

Fine 100% of the match fee and then move on. It wold be foolish to ban the players or if anyone looses the captaincy.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Has to be banned for at least the final match. Else there is no penalty for ball tampering, sorry match fees doesn't count.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Leadership group my ass. Smith reveals himself to be more yellow by the day. If he was any kind of man, he would've taken full responsibility instead of tarnishing the rep of his matchwinning bowlers. Australian cricket is the laughing stock of the rest of the world today.

Chrish

International Debutant
Has to be banned for at least the final match. Else there is no penalty for ball tampering, sorry match fees doesn't count.
Fair enough. But shouldn't loose the captaincy.. And I hope Bancroft's career doesn't end because of this.

Last edited:

Stefan9

International Debutant
Honestly this isn't any different than what Faf did. And iirc Smith mentioned during Faf's trial that their saliva contains sugar too when cleaning the ball, indirectly admitting every team does it. I am just surprised they were so stupid to do it out in the open.

Fine 100% of the match fee and then move on. It wold be foolish to ban the players or if anyone looses the captaincy.
There is a massive difference between a mint which has a dual purpose and taking an adhesive onto the field to deliberately systemsticly cheat.

Also faf didn't try to lie to the umpires as Bancroft & co did by hiding the adhesive. He did disagree with the mint saliva not being a natural substance.

This is much more inline with the afridi biting the ball then the faf incident.

Chrish

International Debutant
There is a massive difference between a mint which has a dual purpose and taking an adhesive onto the field to deliberately systemsticly cheat.

Also faf didn't try to lie to the umpires as Bancroft & co did by hiding the adhesive. He did disagree with the mint saliva not being a natural substance.

This is much more inline with the afridi biting the ball then the faf incident.
More or less, that's what my issue is. And that press conference by Hashim Amla was a complete farce where he claimed they didn't know that sugar can be used to alter the ball..

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
Yeah, bringing something on that has no other purpose than to damage the ball is much worse for my money. And then the cover up was so ridiculous, reduces the whole concept of 'gentlemanly conduct' to a joke.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Fair enough. But shouldn't loose the captaincy.. And I hope Bancroft's career doesn't end because of this.
Because planning to cheat and advocating it as captain isn't a major thing is it..never heard anything so silly.If he has any integrity,Smith should resign immediately

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
Still can't get my head around the stupidity of this just lose this with dignity ffs you can still square the series.

Top Cat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The fact that this is much more blatant and less borderline than using mints/saliva, the fact that this was discussed as a pre-meditated strategy by the "leadership group" and the fact that they tried to cover up and lied to the umpires when asked makes this much worse than the Faf incident.

Besides we're forgetting that the Aussie team is universally disliked with their sledging tactics, and worse, their sanctimonious hypocrisy. Dan Brettig summarizes it perfectly here (as an Aussie himself):
Brettig: Australia's 'line' becomes their noose - ESPNcricinfo

"But the most sobering learning for Australia about Newlands must surely be that there is far more than this to move past. The world already had a low opinion of the Australian team, reflected in the indifference to their protests about abuse from the crowd. To then be caught cheating so egregiously on the same day they had complained was the "smoking gun" to underline countless low assertions about their integrity and approach to the game. The Australian line has become a noose."

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Straight up cheating

All involved should cop suspensions and Smith should lose the captaincy

Anything less and Australia loses all credibility