• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2018

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nevill would have been the easy selection but he really didn't step up. All he had to do was hit a single half century in three first class matches and he didn't.

I think it's a mental thing for him and mental things ruin players at international level.

Paine was left-field but given he was keeping in t20 cricket he wasn't a bad choice or totally plucked from obscurity.

Carey though will be the national keeper in all three formats soon enough.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Keepers seem to be a position where selectors tend to go on gut feelings more than most other spots in the side I reckon.

I guess this is because there's less clear-cut data on a guide on whom to pick, especially now where post-Gilchrist how much batting value they provide is probably more important than their keeping value.

Historically speaking, Oz selectors have tended to go on gut feelings when picking keepers. Rod Marsh was a highly controversial selection as most regarded Brian Taber as a far better keeper. Ian Healy was even more of a shock selection. It's pretty rare in Oz history to have a long-term incumbent like Haddin getting his eventual go; even in that case if Paine hadn't gotten injured in the early 10s that might have lasted as long as Nevill did.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
SA A vs Aus

For those interested in some real cricket rather than the stupid hit and giggle stuff.... may actually be a decent game with a relatively strong SA 'A' side.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Is Zubayr making progress lately from being a 3 Day man?
It seems so.... I think he was at varsity and so maybe not fully able to commit to the franchise team, unsure though... this year has a contract with the Cobras, played most games and is avg 60..... consistent but not many big scores.

Edit: I still think he is our best chance to replace Amla in the test team, long term....

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
SA A vs Aus

For those interested in some real cricket rather than the stupid hit and giggle stuff.... may actually be a decent game with a relatively strong SA 'A' side.
Certainly is the proper stuff.

Whilst I'm an advocator for 50-over cricket I'm not sure bowlers have enough on their side anymore to really enjoy the format. Used to love thinking you have to work hard to get 250 which was a good score.

But otherwise back to the real cricket.

As close to the SA A team you will get. Probably Klaasen, Bavuma, & some the reserve quicks in our first team you could add. Personally would move on from Paterson/Dala or just keep them for T20.

Long term possibly need to find 2/3 more young batsman , a keeper and another quick or 2.

But it's nice to have two young batsman in Muthusamy and Mulder who have a 2nd string to their bow.

Muthusamy also allows us to go for the aggressive spinning option in von Berg.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
I saw Dupavillon put up a post congratulating Sen on his SA A debut but it's also his birthday today. Also says they been playing together since U11s. Close friendship.

Sen went to Clifton School. Their last international was Nick Compton. Not sure if they've had many other internationals. Normally the prep is a feeder for the big guns like Michaehouse (Pat Lambie), Hilton (Mike Procter), Kearsney etc

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I saw Dupavillon put up a post congratulating Sen on his SA A debut but it's also his birthday today. Also says they been playing together since U11s. Close friendship.

Sen went to Clifton School. Their last international was Nick Compton. Not sure if they've had many other internationals. Normally the prep is a feeder for the big guns like Michaehouse (Pat Lambie), Hilton (Mike Procter), Kearsney etc
Muthusamy would be such a boon for SA if he showed international quality.....

Quinton de Kock is playing for Easterns in their 3-day game today too.
May he score a double....

SeamUp

International Coach
I was thinking lack of comfort levels.

stuart hess

@shockerhess
Cricket doesn't stop.....The Australians loosening up in Benoni against SA A.

Malan caught at slip off Cummins; Theunis de Bruyn now with a big opportunity to make an impression.

Been impressive stuff from Zubayr Hamza. Gritty effort against some top class bowlers.

Hazlewood's got De Bruyn, although the batsmen's not happy; playing the hook, De Bruyn reckons he missed the ball, it hit his shoulder, deflected to gully where Khawaja took a good catch. Was a nice innings, 46 off 43 balls, some lovely boundaries.

Australia's bowling's been alright...Marsh was a bit loose, but the main three quicks, Starc, The Hoff and Cummins have looked good, without bowling at top pace.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
De Bruyn is looking good quite often, but seems to get himself out in silly ways... even if he did not actually touch that ball!

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Not a great batting display from the SA 'A' side then... the players that did score runs were as expected though. I expect the pitch is dry and slow be interesting to see what Smith scores (i.e. Australia)

Last edited: