• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies tour squad to England

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
i still find it hard to believe that samuels didnt get a decent game in last years world cup!
Who would you have dropped though?

Powell and Sarwan found form early on.
Lara, Hooper and Chanders are givn.
Hinds came in with great form. He was also bowling well.
Gayle has to play due to his bowling as well as his batting.
Jacobs kept wicket.

The fact is that Samuels almost didn't make the squad due to his injury and was a late scratch in, so he was never an immediate pick. I have no doubt that, had he arrived in SA sooner, he would have played in the first game ahead of Powell. However, Powell established himself in that first game.

Mr Mxyzptlk

garage flower said:
Wavell Hinds and Samuels should both be in the frame when fit. I guess one of the sloggers + R Hinds might have to make way, but it would be a close call. When all players are fit there'll be pretty hot competition for places.
IMO Wavell Hinds will go if fit, because his bowling could be quite useful in English conditions. He may struggle batting though, although he was superb on the last tour there.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
IMO Wavell Hinds will go if fit, because his bowling could be quite useful in English conditions. He may struggle batting though, although he was superb on the last tour there.
is this the same hinds that averaged 16.33 on the last tour to england?

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
is this the same hinds that averaged 16.33 on the last tour to england?
Yes, the same Wavell Hinds who scored big runs in the warmup matches, constantly looked in form and kept getting bad LBW decisions. That same Hinds. Ask anyone who saw the series and they'll confirm that Hinds certainly wasn't the luckiest last time around.

PY

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Yes, the same Wavell Hinds who scored big runs in the warmup matches, constantly looked in form and kept getting bad LBW decisions. That same Hinds. Ask anyone who saw the series and they'll confirm that Hinds certainly wasn't the luckiest last time around.
I remember that series.

First time I ever felt sorry for a guy (who wasn't English :p)who continuously got stinking decisions from different umpires with different bowlers capturing the wicket.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I'm amazed that you would still pick him despite his failure after failure.

Also, Collins has to go IMO. He's really bowled outstandingly lately.
TBH the WI need someone with a cricketing head and a technique to back it up... They fail miserably in this department where Ganga excels..

He has been out of runs, very true. I think a drop down the order so he doesnt have to face fresh fast bowlers might well see the runs begin to flow.. He is of infinately more use than a Dwayne Smith anyway...

I thought about Collins, he has bowled well, but Rampaul has impressed me equally...

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
TBH the WI need someone with a cricketing head and a technique to back it up... They fail miserably in this department where Ganga excels..

He has been out of runs, very true. I think a drop down the order so he doesnt have to face fresh fast bowlers might well see the runs begin to flow.. He is of infinately more use than a Dwayne Smith anyway...
West Indies need players who can score runs on a consistent basis, regardless of how they look getting them. Ganga does not score runs, whether up or down the order.

While Dwayne Smith remains a prospect, albeit one who is some way short of test standard, Ganga must now be classed as a failure and a closed chapter.

Please stop advocating his inclusion. It might catch on and the selectors don't seem to need much of an excuse to pick him.

Langeveldt

Soutie
garage flower said:
Ganga does not score runs, whether up or down the order.

While Dwayne Smith remains a prospect, albeit one who is some way short of test standard, Ganga must now be classed as a failure and a closed chapter.

When has he been given the chance to score runs for the West Indies down the order??

And if someone is "some way short of test standard" then should they be considered as a prospect?

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
When has he been given the chance to score runs for the West Indies down the order??

And if someone is "some way short of test standard" then should they be considered as a prospect?
18 innings at 31.5 when not opening, so admittedly not as awful as his overall record. More pertinently though, he's failed to capitalise on the numerous chances he's been given or to build on the 2 centuries last year against Australia. Since then, I'd guess he's made no more than 2 half centuries in a dozen tests, often batting down the order (he only opens as cover now).

Smith seems to have the natural talent to succeed at the highest level, but is way short in terms of shot selection/learning how to build an innings etc. Nothing that experience and quality coaching can't sort out.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
My Test squad:

Christopher Gayle
Devon Smith
Wavell Hinds*
Brian Lara(C)
Ramnaresh Sarwan(VC)
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Marlon Samuels*
Ryan Hinds
Dwayne Smith/Ricardo Powell
Ridley Jacobs(Wk)
Carlton Baugh Jr.(Wk)
Omari Banks*
Jermaine Lawson
Tino Best
Pedro Collins
Fidel Edwards

Call Ups: Corey Collymore,Andrew Richardson,Dave Mohammed

*= Questionable.If fit.Also depends on form in Bangladesh series.

Last edited: