• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes 2019 England Squad

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
I know, I know, it's over a year away but how would you guys like the England side to shape up? Who should and should not be playing?

My team/squad may be a bit of fantasy but this is how I'd like to see England shape up.

1. A. Hales - a hard hitting opener is needed
2. K. Jennings - obviously based on potential rather than recent performances
3. J. Root - number 3...
4. D. Malan
5. J. Bairstow wk
6. M. Ali - needs to be higher up and hopefully burdened with less bowling
7. B. Stokes - hopefully cleans up his act and is more useful with the ball
8. C. Woakes - needs both his batting and bowling to improve and am making this selection on the basis that it will happen
9. A. Rashid - well duh
10. J. Porter - again based on the potential and how good a season he has next year
11. T.R. Jones

The squad is rounded off by Liam Plunkett, Tom Curran, Jack Leach, Haseeb Hameed and Rory Burns.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
drop Ali, bloody useless

pick Crane/Jack Leach/Rashid proper genuine spinner.

Can't Tymal Mills play Test cricket.Any other genuinely fast, fast bowler not thosr medium pace trundler like Jimmy or Broad

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
drop Ali, bloody useless

Can't Tymal Mills play Test cricket.Any other genuinely fast, fast bowler not thosr medium pace trundler like Jimmy or Broad
Basically do the opposite of this and you're good imo

FBU

International Debutant
1 Cook
2 Hameed
3 Livingstone
4 Root
5 Malan
6 Stokes
7 Bairstow
8 Roland-Jones
9 Wood
10 Broad
11 Bess

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I know, I know, it's over a year away but how would you guys like the England side to shape up? Who should and should not be playing?

My team/squad may be a bit of fantasy but this is how I'd like to see England shape up.

1. A. Hales - a hard hitting opener is needed
2. K. Jennings - obviously based on potential rather than recent performances
3. J. Root - number 3...
4. D. Malan
5. J. Bairstow wk
6. M. Ali - needs to be higher up and hopefully burdened with less bowling
7. B. Stokes - hopefully cleans up his act and is more useful with the ball
8. C. Woakes - needs both his batting and bowling to improve and am making this selection on the basis that it will happen
9. A. Rashid - well duh
10. J. Porter - again based on the potential and how good a season he has next year
11. T.R. Jones

The squad is rounded off by Liam Plunkett, Tom Curran, Jack Leach, Haseeb Hameed and Rory Burns.
So you're picking a team to lose 5-0 at home - interesting idea but I think that we'll pick a much stronger (and more logical) side then that.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Cook makes it to 2019, he will break Sachin's record.

Another 50 Tests, ~90 innings, averaging 45 would take him to 16000.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Cook, Gubbins/Hameed, Root, Lawrence, Malan, Stokes, Bairstow, Ali, Broad/Woakes/TRJ, Stone, Anderson

21/22 squad

Hameed, Gubbins, Root, Lawrence, J Clarke, Stokes, Bairstow, S Curran, Archer, Tongue, Stone, Craig O, Foakes, Crane, Fisher, Abell

Last edited:

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
So you're picking a team to lose 5-0 at home - interesting idea but I think that we'll pick a much stronger (and more logical) side then that.
Why would they be THAT bad? I mean I hope Cook, Jimmy and Broad could be around and in top form forever but they won't and they aren't. So I'm looking for a squad that plays in 2019 and beyond.

no love for joe clarke?
mmmm....it's a tough one. Very young, talented, good bat but who could I pick him over? But hey, he could develop well in the coming 2 seasons.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Bayliss namedropped Clarke, Livingstone and Lawrence in the last 24 hours or so. I'd like to see one of them on the trip to NZ.

I rather think the last two winters England have been defeated before they even arrived in India and Australia. They knew they didn't have the spinners to prosper in India, and once Stokes wasn't coming to Aus they'd lost their streetfighter (literal and metaphorical) who was their best chance of competing. I rather think guys like Anderson, Broad, Cook (and Root this series) knew it was going to be very tough, and as a result struggled under the pressure knowing they personally needed massive performances and/or were resigned to defeat already.

For that reason they probably should be looking to shake things up. I'd have dropped Cook after the ashes if he didn't make any scores in the last two tests. Thankfully he gots runs and he should be around for a while longer. Broad I'd take to NZ in the squad but I feel they need to upset the applecart a little and pick someone else for the first test.

I personally would be getting rid of Bayliss and co after the ashes, and let them focus on the white ball stuff. The test team hasn't progressed really and away from home tactically they've got it badly wrong. He gives off the impression of someone who is too thinly spread.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
drop Ali, bloody useless

I think this might be the worst post of all time.