Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Ashes 2019 England Squad

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    So you're picking a team to lose 5-0 at home - interesting idea but I think that we'll pick a much stronger (and more logical) side then that.
    Why would they be THAT bad? I mean I hope Cook, Jimmy and Broad could be around and in top form forever but they won't and they aren't. So I'm looking for a squad that plays in 2019 and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpatientLime View Post
    no love for joe clarke?
    mmmm....it's a tough one. Very young, talented, good bat but who could I pick him over? But hey, he could develop well in the coming 2 seasons.

International Regular theegyptian's Avatar
    Bayliss namedropped Clarke, Livingstone and Lawrence in the last 24 hours or so. I'd like to see one of them on the trip to NZ.

I rather think the last two winters England have been defeated before they even arrived in India and Australia. They knew they didn't have the spinners to prosper in India, and once Stokes wasn't coming to Aus they'd lost their streetfighter (literal and metaphorical) who was their best chance of competing. I rather think guys like Anderson, Broad, Cook (and Root this series) knew it was going to be very tough, and as a result struggled under the pressure knowing they personally needed massive performances and/or were resigned to defeat already.

For that reason they probably should be looking to shake things up. I'd have dropped Cook after the ashes if he didn't make any scores in the last two tests. Thankfully he gots runs and he should be around for a while longer. Broad I'd take to NZ in the squad but I feel they need to upset the applecart a little and pick someone else for the first test.

I personally would be getting rid of Bayliss and co after the ashes, and let them focus on the white ball stuff. The test team hasn't progressed really and away from home tactically they've got it badly wrong. He gives off the impression of someone who is too thinly spread.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    no love for joe clarke?
    Nor Matthew Parkinson it would seem

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo...
    Quote Originally Posted by randycricfreak View Post
    drop Ali, bloody useless

pick Crane/Jack Leach/Rashid proper genuine spinner.

Can't Tymal Mills play Test cricket.Any other genuinely fast, fast bowler not thosr medium pace trundler like Jimmy or Broad
    I think this might be the worst post of all time.
    oblongballs likes this.
    Young Jonny Bairstow.......you are the love of my life,
    Young Jonny Bairstow.......I'd let you shag my wife,
    Young Jonny Bairstow......I want ginger hair too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQLKzKjJtUw

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    I think this might be the worst post of all time.
    In that case you must have every Australian poster on ignore

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    Bayliss namedropped Clarke, Livingstone and Lawrence in the last 24 hours or so. I'd like to see one of them on the trip to NZ.

I rather think the last two winters England have been defeated before they even arrived in India and Australia. They knew they didn't have the spinners to prosper in India, and once Stokes wasn't coming to Aus they'd lost their streetfighter (literal and metaphorical) who was their best chance of competing. I rather think guys like Anderson, Broad, Cook (and Root this series) knew it was going to be very tough, and as a result struggled under the pressure knowing they personally needed massive performances and/or were resigned to defeat already.

For that reason they probably should be looking to shake things up. I'd have dropped Cook after the ashes if he didn't make any scores in the last two tests. Thankfully he gots runs and he should be around for a while longer. Broad I'd take to NZ in the squad but I feel they need to upset the applecart a little and pick someone else for the first test.

I personally would be getting rid of Bayliss and co after the ashes, and let them focus on the white ball stuff. The test team hasn't progressed really and away from home tactically they've got it badly wrong. He gives off the impression of someone who is too thinly spread.
    Bayliss thinly spread? He barely does anything. Maybe his staff is thinly spread but I think there is a change in personnel between the formats anyway PLUS it's not a coaching issue, it's a selection issue. England post 2015 have selected the best possible exponents of ODI cricket for their side. In tests, they have left their best and only world class spinner at home, they have left their best ODI fast bowler, who has size, strength and bounce, at home and they haven't even bothered discussion the likes of Porter. Why? One can only wonder.

Plus, I don't think Stokes is THAT big a win. Anyone who knows the sport expected England to lose this series and likely lose it clear. How could Stokes change that? With his mentality? To be fair, England have been competitive across multiple sessions but they have lacked the quality to be consistent. Stokes "street fighter" mentality ain't changing that. England just dont have the quality to win in Australia, same as the aussies cant win in England. It's a measure of the times.

the absolute state of people wanting plunkett in the test team. completely ignoring the fact that he barely plays fc cricket anymore and that when he does he's not very good.

International Regular theegyptian's Avatar
    lol who the **** is England's world class spinner?

why does a good odi bowler make a good test bowler? If you are referring to plunkett he played twice in 2017 for Yorkshire (wasn't selected on multiple occasions when he was available) and 8 times in 2016 averaging 60.2, and struggles to get through 10 overs without getting injured these days.

Porter couldn't be selected because he had a stress fracture of the back.

FBU
    Cook, Gubbins/Hameed, Root, Lawrence, Malan, Stokes, Bairstow, Ali, Broad/Woakes/TRJ, Stone, Anderson

21/22 squad

Hameed, Gubbins, Root, Lawrence, J Clarke, Stokes, Bairstow, S Curran, Archer, Tongue, Stone, Craig O, Foakes, Crane, Fisher, Abell
    Can't believe I forgot Tongue. Your squad looks much better.

U19 Debutant
    lol who the **** is England's world class spinner?

why does a good odi bowler make a good test bowler? If you are referring to plunkett he played twice in 2017 for Yorkshire (wasn't selected on multiple occasions when he was available) and 8 times in 2016 averaging 60.2, and struggles to get through 10 overs without getting injured these days.

Porter couldn't be selected because he had a stress fracture of the back.
    Rahid is one of the highest ODI wicket takers post 2015 WC, has almost 500 FC cricket...you know, the format that's supposed to feed into test cricket. He hasn't played much for his county because of his international commitments.

Plunkett is quicker than every bowler England have taken over to Australia, he is bigger too and gets more bounce, just the type of guy you want bowling there. Plus, I find it difficult to take nayone seriously who completely disregards a guy playing regular international cricket, especially in the ODI format. ODI players aren't supposed to be picked in tests now? Might as well have never debuted Kohli then, or Hasan Ali. This limited, victorian way of thinking is killing the English test team.

Porter has been fit for weeks and will be playing in the upcoming Lions tour but I'd been talking about that kid for months now. Yet all the talk from so called experts on Sky failed to mention him. Why was he not part of England's discussion throughout the summer? On what basis were the likes of the overtons included above him? The same question with Curran, or with regards to Crane over Rashid.

There is no clear thinking. What made English selection so good throughout the mid to late 00s, developing England's best test side in 50 years. was the fact that the selectors were very clear on their criteria - whoever plays best in the counties gets picked, regardless of County loyalties ando ther such factors that had plagued the ECB and the MCC before that.

There is no clear thinking today, with selectors, coaches and captains scrambling to include anyone but the best available players.

Hall of Fame Member flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    no love for joe clarke?
    Is from me. He should be one of the next options for a batting spot along with Livingstone. Up to them to take it.

U19 Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by oblongballs View Post
    Rahid is one of the highest ODI wicket takers post 2015 WC, has almost 500 FC cricket...you know, the format that's supposed to feed into test cricket. He hasn't played much for his county because of his international commitments.

Plunkett is quicker than every bowler England have taken over to Australia, he is bigger too and gets more bounce, just the type of guy you want bowling there. Plus, I find it difficult to take nayone seriously who completely disregards a guy playing regular international cricket, especially in the ODI format. ODI players aren't supposed to be picked in tests now? Might as well have never debuted Kohli then, or Hasan Ali. This limited, victorian way of thinking is killing the English test team.

Porter has been fit for weeks and will be playing in the upcoming Lions tour but I'd been talking about that kid for months now. Yet all the talk from so called experts on Sky failed to mention him. Why was he not part of England's discussion throughout the summer? On what basis were the likes of the overtons included above him? The same question with Curran, or with regards to Crane over Rashid.

There is no clear thinking. What made English selection so good throughout the mid to late 00s, developing England's best test side in 50 years. was the fact that the selectors were very clear on their criteria - whoever plays best in the counties gets picked, regardless of County loyalties ando ther such factors that had plagued the ECB and the MCC before that.

There is no clear thinking today, with selectors, coaches and captains scrambling to include anyone but the best available players.
    We've seen enough of Rashid to know he's not really good enough at test level, and whilst I thought it was incredibly harsh that he didn't get a chance on home soil after India, I really don't think he would have done well, plus Moeen is still the best spinner we have and is genuinely useful at home.

Plunkett can't last a first class game without breaking down, 100% a short form merchant now, and has already been crap on the test arena.

Porter has been injured and had one good year...plus it's not like he any different from the bowlers we've used so far is it? He's just another right arm 80mph trundling swing merchant.

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundking View Post
    We've seen enough of Rashid to know he's not really good enough at test level, and whilst I thought it was incredibly harsh that he didn't get a chance on home soil after India, I really don't think he would have done well, plus Moeen is still the best spinner we have and is genuinely useful at home.

Plunkett can't last a first class game without breaking down, 100% a short form merchant now, and has already been crap on the test arena.

Porter has been injured and had one good year...plus it's not like he any different from the bowlers we've used so far is it? He's just another right arm 80mph trundling swing merchant.
    Rashid was arguably England's best bowler in Bang and India, obviously Ali is competition for him. Why was he dropped again? And do you really think a man who will soon surpass 500 FC wickets shouldn't be given more than 10 tests? That's just ridiculous thinking and the type of stuff that is sinking the side.

Porter WAS injured but has been fit for weeks now and will soon play for the Lions. And what separates him from the other bowlers picked is that he has taken more wickets at a better average than those guys. Overton gets a call up but not Porter? Come off it, if that isn't circumspect then I don't know what is. And beyond simply the numbers, I've seen the lad bowl live and he gets more swing than the guys currently picked, bar Anderson of course. Plus he is smart and can use cutters to his advantage.

I'm not saying he would magically transform the English side, I'm just saying there has to be a consistent criteria for selection. if the best aren't being picked then there's less chance of the best progressing and becoming better.

U19 Debutant
    Anyway, back on track, I agree that I could have had Clarke in my squad and in reality, if he carries on playing well, he'd likely end up in a real squad in 2019. However, that is all dependent on how he develops, considering how young he is and how many young "flash in the pans" we have through the county circuit almost every couple seasons.

Suddenly I feel so much more confident about the away Ashes if these are the lineups being offered
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

forever 63*

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information