• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes 2019 England Squad

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Bayliss namedropped Clarke, Livingstone and Lawrence in the last 24 hours or so. I'd like to see one of them on the trip to NZ.

I rather think the last two winters England have been defeated before they even arrived in India and Australia. They knew they didn't have the spinners to prosper in India, and once Stokes wasn't coming to Aus they'd lost their streetfighter (literal and metaphorical) who was their best chance of competing. I rather think guys like Anderson, Broad, Cook (and Root this series) knew it was going to be very tough, and as a result struggled under the pressure knowing they personally needed massive performances and/or were resigned to defeat already.

For that reason they probably should be looking to shake things up. I'd have dropped Cook after the ashes if he didn't make any scores in the last two tests. Thankfully he gots runs and he should be around for a while longer. Broad I'd take to NZ in the squad but I feel they need to upset the applecart a little and pick someone else for the first test.

I personally would be getting rid of Bayliss and co after the ashes, and let them focus on the white ball stuff. The test team hasn't progressed really and away from home tactically they've got it badly wrong. He gives off the impression of someone who is too thinly spread.
Bayliss thinly spread? He barely does anything. Maybe his staff is thinly spread but I think there is a change in personnel between the formats anyway PLUS it's not a coaching issue, it's a selection issue. England post 2015 have selected the best possible exponents of ODI cricket for their side. In tests, they have left their best and only world class spinner at home, they have left their best ODI fast bowler, who has size, strength and bounce, at home and they haven't even bothered discussion the likes of Porter. Why? One can only wonder.

Plus, I don't think Stokes is THAT big a win. Anyone who knows the sport expected England to lose this series and likely lose it clear. How could Stokes change that? With his mentality? To be fair, England have been competitive across multiple sessions but they have lacked the quality to be consistent. Stokes "street fighter" mentality ain't changing that. England just dont have the quality to win in Australia, same as the aussies cant win in England. It's a measure of the times.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
the absolute state of people wanting plunkett in the test team. completely ignoring the fact that he barely plays fc cricket anymore and that when he does he's not very good.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
lol who the **** is England's world class spinner?

why does a good odi bowler make a good test bowler? If you are referring to plunkett he played twice in 2017 for Yorkshire (wasn't selected on multiple occasions when he was available) and 8 times in 2016 averaging 60.2, and struggles to get through 10 overs without getting injured these days.

Porter couldn't be selected because he had a stress fracture of the back.

FBU

International Debutant
Cook, Gubbins/Hameed, Root, Lawrence, Malan, Stokes, Bairstow, Ali, Broad/Woakes/TRJ, Stone, Anderson

21/22 squad

Hameed, Gubbins, Root, Lawrence, J Clarke, Stokes, Bairstow, S Curran, Archer, Tongue, Stone, Craig O, Foakes, Crane, Fisher, Abell
Can't believe I forgot Tongue. Your squad looks much better.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
lol who the **** is England's world class spinner?

why does a good odi bowler make a good test bowler? If you are referring to plunkett he played twice in 2017 for Yorkshire (wasn't selected on multiple occasions when he was available) and 8 times in 2016 averaging 60.2, and struggles to get through 10 overs without getting injured these days.

Porter couldn't be selected because he had a stress fracture of the back.
Rahid is one of the highest ODI wicket takers post 2015 WC, has almost 500 FC cricket...you know, the format that's supposed to feed into test cricket. He hasn't played much for his county because of his international commitments.

Plunkett is quicker than every bowler England have taken over to Australia, he is bigger too and gets more bounce, just the type of guy you want bowling there. Plus, I find it difficult to take nayone seriously who completely disregards a guy playing regular international cricket, especially in the ODI format. ODI players aren't supposed to be picked in tests now? Might as well have never debuted Kohli then, or Hasan Ali. This limited, victorian way of thinking is killing the English test team.

Porter has been fit for weeks and will be playing in the upcoming Lions tour but I'd been talking about that kid for months now. Yet all the talk from so called experts on Sky failed to mention him. Why was he not part of England's discussion throughout the summer? On what basis were the likes of the overtons included above him? The same question with Curran, or with regards to Crane over Rashid.

There is no clear thinking. What made English selection so good throughout the mid to late 00s, developing England's best test side in 50 years. was the fact that the selectors were very clear on their criteria - whoever plays best in the counties gets picked, regardless of County loyalties ando ther such factors that had plagued the ECB and the MCC before that.

There is no clear thinking today, with selectors, coaches and captains scrambling to include anyone but the best available players.

Groundking

International Debutant
Rahid is one of the highest ODI wicket takers post 2015 WC, has almost 500 FC cricket...you know, the format that's supposed to feed into test cricket. He hasn't played much for his county because of his international commitments.

Plunkett is quicker than every bowler England have taken over to Australia, he is bigger too and gets more bounce, just the type of guy you want bowling there. Plus, I find it difficult to take nayone seriously who completely disregards a guy playing regular international cricket, especially in the ODI format. ODI players aren't supposed to be picked in tests now? Might as well have never debuted Kohli then, or Hasan Ali. This limited, victorian way of thinking is killing the English test team.

Porter has been fit for weeks and will be playing in the upcoming Lions tour but I'd been talking about that kid for months now. Yet all the talk from so called experts on Sky failed to mention him. Why was he not part of England's discussion throughout the summer? On what basis were the likes of the overtons included above him? The same question with Curran, or with regards to Crane over Rashid.

There is no clear thinking. What made English selection so good throughout the mid to late 00s, developing England's best test side in 50 years. was the fact that the selectors were very clear on their criteria - whoever plays best in the counties gets picked, regardless of County loyalties ando ther such factors that had plagued the ECB and the MCC before that.

There is no clear thinking today, with selectors, coaches and captains scrambling to include anyone but the best available players.
We've seen enough of Rashid to know he's not really good enough at test level, and whilst I thought it was incredibly harsh that he didn't get a chance on home soil after India, I really don't think he would have done well, plus Moeen is still the best spinner we have and is genuinely useful at home.

Plunkett can't last a first class game without breaking down, 100% a short form merchant now, and has already been crap on the test arena.

Porter has been injured and had one good year...plus it's not like he any different from the bowlers we've used so far is it? He's just another right arm 80mph trundling swing merchant.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
We've seen enough of Rashid to know he's not really good enough at test level, and whilst I thought it was incredibly harsh that he didn't get a chance on home soil after India, I really don't think he would have done well, plus Moeen is still the best spinner we have and is genuinely useful at home.

Plunkett can't last a first class game without breaking down, 100% a short form merchant now, and has already been crap on the test arena.

Porter has been injured and had one good year...plus it's not like he any different from the bowlers we've used so far is it? He's just another right arm 80mph trundling swing merchant.
Rashid was arguably England's best bowler in Bang and India, obviously Ali is competition for him. Why was he dropped again? And do you really think a man who will soon surpass 500 FC wickets shouldn't be given more than 10 tests? That's just ridiculous thinking and the type of stuff that is sinking the side.

Porter WAS injured but has been fit for weeks now and will soon play for the Lions. And what separates him from the other bowlers picked is that he has taken more wickets at a better average than those guys. Overton gets a call up but not Porter? Come off it, if that isn't circumspect then I don't know what is. And beyond simply the numbers, I've seen the lad bowl live and he gets more swing than the guys currently picked, bar Anderson of course. Plus he is smart and can use cutters to his advantage.

I'm not saying he would magically transform the English side, I'm just saying there has to be a consistent criteria for selection. if the best aren't being picked then there's less chance of the best progressing and becoming better.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Anyway, back on track, I agree that I could have had Clarke in my squad and in reality, if he carries on playing well, he'd likely end up in a real squad in 2019. However, that is all dependent on how he develops, considering how young he is and how many young "flash in the pans" we have through the county circuit almost every couple seasons.

Spark

Global Moderator
Suddenly I feel so much more confident about the away Ashes if these are the lineups being offered

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I haven't got a clue with Rashid being dropped but there was some weird thing with Yorkshire last year, whereby Rashid withdrew himself from a Yorkshire match, so maybe it is something with the Yorkshire clique.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Suddenly I feel so much more confident about the away Ashes if these are the lineups being offered
If oblongballs was in charge that side would lose at home to everyone.

Anyway for the record I'll go with

Cook
Hameed
Stoneman
Root
Malan
Stokes
Bairstow
Moeen
Overton
Broad/TRJ
Anderson

Think Anderson will still be around and be looking to retire after this series, same with Cook. Broad may be looking to do the same but may have been dumped by then. Moeen as disastrous as he has been away is gun at home so will play and be a vital part of the side. England to win the series as Aussies can't play in swinging/seam conditions.

Last edited:

Tom Flint

International Regular

Cook
Hameed
Stoneman
Root
Malan
Stokes
Bairstow
Moeen
Overton
Broad/TRJ
Anderson

Think Anderson will still be around and be looking to retire after this series, same with Cook. Broad may be looking to do the same but may have been dumped by then. Moeen as disastrous as he has been away is gun at home so will play and be a vital part of the side. England to win the series as Aussies can't play in swinging/seam conditions.
Was just about to post my team, and i had gone for exact same top 7 as you. Havent seen anyone with the same anywhere else.

Cook
Hameed
Stoneman
Root
Malan
Stokes
Bairstow
Woakes
Broad
Leech
Anderson

12th man
Ali

Also think its time we broke the bank and prized nasser or vaughan away from television and gave them bayliss' job

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have always liked the idea of Nasser as coach but really we have no idea how good he would be.

Think the team will be broadly similar to those above but can't see Stoneman in there, I don't think he should even play against New Zealand. I can see why with us having tried so many openers but people have been very forgiving of him so far, 8 Tests and a highest score of 56 is not any good. Hoping at least one of Lawrence and Clarke will be established by then.

Gob

International Coach

Cook
Hameed
Stoneman
Root
Malan
Stokes
Bairstow
Moeen
Overton
Broad/TRJ
Anderson

That England batting line up won't fare any better against this Aust attack

Tom Flint

International Regular
I think stoneman is good enough, he has spent a lot of time in the middle he always seems to get through 30 deliveries i tink given time to settle properly he will start turning little starts into bigger scores. I donr expect him to be on trotts level but until someone comes and averages 50+ in a county season i dont think we should keep chopping and changing our batsmen.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He has actually faced less balls than Vince this series, their records are almost identical.

I suspect they won't drop him yet but I will be very surprised if he is around in 2019. Not 100% convinced Malan will be either really although I hope he is.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Warner will have one or 2 decent innings, smith will be good throughout but other than that australia need to find 4 batsmen, at least in 2015 they had rogers. Both marsh' would be bunnies khawaja is lost any othee than australia and bancroft probably wont be in the next squad.