• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Oversea test watch, how will they do?

How many test series will India win overseas 2018/2019?

Votes: 11 39.3%

Votes: 2 7.1%

Votes: 3 10.7%

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
2018 is going to be such an exciting year for Test cricket but also said that in 2016. **** it I'm always excited about Test Cricket.

Don't remember the last time I have been this excited about an Indian test side. I am not sure if they are playing in New Zealand to be in 2018 though. The FTP shows South Africa, England and Australia and there was no mention of New Zealand in all the pre season talk involving Shastri, Kohli or in the media.

That being said, if they do tour New Zealand, and if like Pakistan it's in November before the Australia series, then I will say New Zealand are favourites. If it's a short 2 test tour squeezed before the Australian series with zero warm ups and the team arrives a week before, it will be very difficult to beat them,

Yes India came close in 2014 but that was in February when the weather is different.

Regarding the remaining 3 - England, Australia and South Africa

India's best chance is in England. Among all the test sides today barring maybe West Indies and Sri Lanka, England is probably where most touring sides do their best relatively, which basically means England is not as strong as home as Australia is in Australia or India is in India.

2014 - Sri Lanka won there, India won the first test and yes they fell apart later but that is still a better showing than SC teams achieve in Australia or South Africa
2015 - New Zealand drew, and Australia even with their lolapse 60 all out managed to win 2 test matches out of 5.
2016 - Pakistan drew 2-2

Important thing to consider will be the fitness of Shami, Yadav and Bhuvi post the South African series and post an extremely long IPL season.

India have always had bowlers breaking down around that time of the year if you think about 2011 and 2014.

If the first choice pace attack remains fit, and Bhuvi is bowling as well as he does, India have a real chance in England. England's bowling is still heavily reliant on Anderson and Broad to do the heavy lifting and Pujara, Vijay, Rahul, Kohli, Rahane are all better Test batsmen than they were in 2014.

Fitness is the key here and India has the likes of Shami and Bhuvi breaking down to be replaced by the Binnys and Pankaj Kapoors, then forget about it.

Next best is South Africa.

I would put my money on South Africa to win the 1st test. Visiting teams rarely win the first test especially SC teams playing in South Africa or Australia. The 1st test is usually a hiding due to lack of preparation and familiarity with the conditions.
India is good enough to win at least 1 test match on this series. This is side is at it's peak now, no injuries and everyone should be at their prime fitness level. India should come back hard to win the 2nd test and I would expect both sides to be cautious in the third test, thus ending in a draw.

That being said, Kohli is all about 'aggression and losing to win' so who knows, he might not take the cautious approach.

The would leave Australia to be the toughest and the one with least chances. It is at the end of the season and not sure how many of these bowlers will still be fit and standing by the end of the year. Also, if South Africa and England don't go very well for India, that will also hamper the confidence and make up of the side and you might see a few different faces.

India's batting should do well on the flat decks like last time but you need an exceptional pace attack to win in Australia. England and India have decent attacks and that's not good enough on flat decks against them where you have the likes of Mitch Marsh blasting 150s.

Expect Dhawan, Pujara, Kohli and Rahane to shine. But beyond individual brilliance, don't see India winning a test match. If the batting holds up, we will see a few high scoring draws as the Australian attack is not exceptional either and it won't be easy to take 20 wickets in all 4 games.

My final thoughts

Best case if everything goes well for India

1-1 in South Africa

2-1 in England

0-2 in Australia

If things don't go according to plan and you have guys breaking down

1-2 in South Africa

1-3 in England

0-4 in Australia

R!TTER

First Class Debutant
An important question is can India be as competitive in Australia as Australia were in India last time around? I think the answer to that question is a fairly obvious NO.
Depends on the tracks, Aus wouln't win on Ranchi like tracks, even with their imaginary once in a gen 4 man pace attack. Pune, Bangalore & Dharamshala gave them the best chance of a series win.
For well over a decade Aus scored 400+ multiple times & we outbatted them every time, barring Bangalore 2008, even when chasing on a 5th day.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd agree with England being our best shot, but the fact that it's a longer tour works against us imo. Then again if WI can win a test there surely we can win 2?

OverratedSanity

Dharamshala had loads of pace and bounce... just because it also offered some turn doesn't mean it was anywhere near a typical Indian pitch. I don't think you can hope for a more Australian pitch in the subcontinent.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Ok, I'm gonna disregard INd/NZ because I dunno if thats happening and can't be arsed to google it.

As for SA, they might be more competitive than normal but will likely lose.

They might pick up a win in England but lose the series. I hope to attend days in both the Pak and India series.

In Aus, honestly, no chance. They might pick up their second test win in Australia in 10 years but better Indians sides than this have toured and failed to win more. If its a 4 test series, I expect it to be 4-0 or 3-1 at best for India.

ma1978

International 12th Man
I think people are underestimating this Indian side. This is the best Indian touring side I have seen in 30 years of following cricket. I would expect them to be competitive in each of South Africa, England and Australia and my bet - they win one series (England 2-1), draw one (South Africa 1-1) and lose one (Australia 2-1).

Tec15

First Class Debutant
If things don't go according to plan and you have guys breaking down

1-2 in South Africa

1-3 in England

0-4 in Australia
So, even in a worst case scenario India will somehow manage to win a test in South Africa while still being thrashed 4-0 in Australia?

TheJediBrah

...but last time australia prepared pacy wickets they got dominated by RSA. But i do see your point. If i were an ozzie curator and i was playing any team not named rsa I'd prepare classic waca pitches tbh. Especially against sub continental teams.
That's exactly correct, the few times recently where we've gone ahead and gotten good fast wickets it's been against SA the one team who would like it just as much as us. Of course they're not doing it on purpose but you could be forgiven for suspecting it.

Woodster

International Captain
For India to be successful in places like South Africa then I think Hardik Pandya is key to offering India the right balance to field a five-man attack and they can include a spinner within that and have that attacking batsman at six. South Africa would be a real test for Pandya, untested still at this level and in those conditions so it would perhaps be unfair to ask too much too soon, but I am really looking forward to seeing how he goes if gets the chance.

subshakerz

International Coach
I think people are underestimating this Indian side. This is the best Indian touring side I have seen in 30 years of following cricket. I would expect them to be competitive in each of South Africa, England and Australia and my bet - they win one series (England 2-1), draw one (South Africa 1-1) and lose one (Australia 2-1).
Yeah I agree with this. This is a confident and focused team with a more aggressive captain.

I think this side compares favorably to the Indian side of 2007-2010, which won in England, drew in SA and won a test in Australia. I don't see why they cant reproduce those results, or do even better.

vcs

If they reproduce the 2007-10 team's away results, it will definitely go down as the best Indian team ever.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
england getting sold short by a few here. if anderson continues in his current vein then india have next to no chance there.

Burner

International Regular
England dropped a test against the Windies of all teams. Don't think there's any under-estimation.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Are you really serious? I have seen numerous better sides in 30 years than the one currently playing. I saw a side with Tendulkar, Ganguly, Dravid, Khan, Kumble and Singh. That was later supplemented with Dhoni. Those teams were far better all round than the current side. India being competitive in SA and ENgland will likely be because of how weak those sides have come but I won't make any excuses, India will not win in SA but might sneak a test match in England.

As for a fully fit Australia, even on the flatter modern pitches, India will be out scored, time and time again. I cant imagine it being any different from a couple years back.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Personally I think people are overrating this india pace attack. I see no true class bowler in there. Might have more depth then previous teams but that's about it.

Last edited:

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Personally I think people are overeating this india pace attack. I see no true class bowler in there. Might have more depth then previous teams but that's about it.
No kidding. Pretty much the same as the attack they had the last time they toured South Africa only with Kumar and Bhumrah in place of Zaheer Khan. Oh, and Hardik Pandyia. Really fearsome now.

Bijed

International Regular
Personally I think people are overeating this india pace attack. I see no true class bowler in there. Might have more depth then previous teams but that's about it.
Hey come on, let's not turn this into another conversation about why the problem with Indian bowlers is their diet