• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best after the Don? CW ranked 25 contenders, here is the countdown thread

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Or it a more a case that here he's been pitted against the greatest bats of all time in an exercise that doesn't factor his 300 test wickets?

Add his bowling and there's a good argument he gets in the top 5 out of this lot in terms of greatest cricketers.
Add in his bowling and surely he's top 3 behind Bradman and Sobers?

a massive zebra

International Captain
His last name not beginning with H probably contributed just a teeny bit in his legacy not being as strong as the other 3 great english bats of the inter-war era amongst cricket tragics
Mr Sutcliffe was/is not considered among the very greatest batsmen despite considerable statistical evidence to the contrary, but personally I think your reasoning above is nonsense.

Sutcliffe was hardly the most elegant or exciting player in history. A steady accumulator with great patience and a watertight defence, he made copious use of an angled bat and seldom played in the region between point and mid-on — the strokes of grace and grandeur that elevated cricket to visual delight and stimulated poetic paeans from the likes of Neville Cardus. He played in possibly the highest scoring era ever with very few all time great fast bowlers, made extensive use of his pads at a time when the ball had to pitch in line with the stumps in order for an LBW to be given, and never made any gargantuan scores in Tests.

Hobbs proved himself pre war (a much tougher era for batsmen), was a complete batsman who played all the classical shots, and had a fifth gear which he was able to use to take quality attacks apart.

Last edited:

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Mr Sutcliffe was/is not considered among the very greatest batsmen despite considerable statistical evidence to the contrary, but personally I think your reasoning above is nonsense.

Sutcliffe was hardly the most elegant or exciting player in history. A steady accumulator with great patience and a watertight defence, he made copious use of an angled bat and seldom played in the region between point and mid-on — the strokes of grace and grandeur that elevated cricket to visual delight and stimulated poetic paeans from the likes of Neville Cardus. He played in possibly the highest scoring era ever with very few all time great fast bowlers, made extensive use of his pads at a time when the ball had to pitch in line with the stumps in order for an LBW to be given, and never made any gargantuan scores in Tests.
You could apply a lot of that to Steve Smith.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No. He was dismissed LBW in a home test quite a few times.

lbw JR Ratnayeke 40 2 v Sri Lanka Sialkot 27 Oct 1985 Test # 1027
lbw ALF de Mel 63 2 v Sri Lanka Karachi 7 Nov 1985 Test # 1028
lbw JE Emburey 4 2 v England Karachi 16 Dec 1987 Test # 1086
lbw BA Reid 107 3 v Australia Faisalabad 23 Sep 1988 Test # 1105
lbw M Prabhakar 13 2 v India Faisalabad 23 Nov 1989 Test # 1128
lbw DK Morrison 27 2 v New Zealand Karachi 10 Oct 1990 Test # 1151
lbw EA Brandes 70 1 v Zimbabwe Karachi 1 Dec 1993 Test # 1237
lbw DH Brain 31 1 v Zimbabwe Lahore 16 Dec 1993 Test # 1241
ok, thanks for that - don't know where I got that piece of non-information from...
Think it was a bit of an urban myth going around about him in the 80s and 90s.
I was surprised there were so many so had a look at these scorecards - didn't go beyond that though I hasten to add - but it does look like on all bar two of those occasions the Pakistanis were either on their way to victory or a draw was almost certain and whichever way you cut it the home side were not going to be in any difficulty with Javed back in the pavilion - the two exceptions are the Emburey and Brain ones where, in neither case, was the game sufficiently far advanced to reach that conclusion at the time of the decision, but in neither match did Pakistan ever get into difficulty

So I think flametree's basic point stands - getting an important decision out of a Pakistani umpire against Javed was exceptionally difficult

mr_mister

Allan Border (251 points) FC average of 51.38, FC H.S of 205, 70 FC centuries

A short stocky frame and a shot repertoire consisting mainly of swipes across the line and the odd slash through point, Border will take no prizes for aesthetics. But his grit and determination and his ability to score runs in all conditions must have counted heavily in his favour when the lists were submitted. He averaged over 50 in England, West Indies and India in an insanely tough time for travelling cricketers. Border only scored one test double century, which was also his highest ever first class score, and his 50s to 100 conversion rate wasn't pretty, but the amount of important fifties he scored when his side was in dire straits is commendable. Constantly having to dig his side out of a hole after blokes like Greg Ritchie failed is a tough ask. He was also the first player to crack 150 tests, so his career longevity was also unheard of at the time. And averaging over 50 against some of the bowlers he faced is a true achievement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
There's no blemish on AB's statistical record (unless you wanted to be really harsh and say averaging 40 against the WIs from 1979-1993 is a "blemish".)

He actually averaged 53 IN the WIs over this career.

mr_mister

Kumar Sangakkara (290 points) FC average of 52.40, FC H.S of 319, 64 FC centuries

Sanga on the other hand looked elegant with every shot he played. His cover drive especially was supreme. The man started off as an okay keeper who was more value to the team for his batting, which had yet to set the world on fire though it was important. Once they took the gloves off him however his batting career boomed. He ended up averaging 66 from 86 tests without the gloves. His test batting average of 57 overall is higher than all his peers sans Steve Smith and Adam Voges if you want to call them 'peers'.

What impresses me however is the fact that he didn't average under 40 against any test nation. He brought his A game against all bowling attacks, and though he did average under 40 in certain countries he more than made up for it in home tests against the same bowlers, South Africa being one example. He scored 11 test double centuries, second only to the Don. So he could just bat and bat when set. He was even scoring buckets of FC runs as late as last year in English county cricket. What a player.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Barry Richards (293 points) FC average of 54.74, FC H.S of 356. 80 FC centuries

The greatest what-if story of them all in cricket. Bradman had him opening in his own fantasy ATG XI, he rated him that highly. Barry's test career was cut dramatically short due to Apartheid. But his FC record, especially for an opener, was amazing. He scored 9 FC centuries before lunch on day 1 of an FC match. Travelling the cricketing world as a mercenary after his country was banned from tests, he scored runs in Australia, he scored them in England. If you include the 5 world series super tests he played in alongside the actual 4 test matches, his record reads about ~75 from 9 'tests'. I've only read about him, don't think I've even seen much footage of him, so there's not much more for me to say. He's certainly a hard player to rate, some might think his mere inclusion in this list is blasphemy, others might think he should have been ranked higher. Let the debate begin

Last edited:

veganbob

U19 Captain
Good thread!

Just wondering why you are using first class stats for all batsmen and not test stats.
Also I rely dont think barry richards should be there, sorry you cant be a hypothetical great whatever the circumstances.
First class records are meaningless to test cricket

mr_mister

I chose to post FC stats as I feel test stats were redundant seeing as the regular posters know everyone's test stats off by heart, especially drafters like myself. FC stats might bring some new information to the table

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year

Allan Border (251 points) FC average of 51.38, FC H.S of 205, 70 FC centuries

A short stocky frame and a shot repertoire consisting mainly of swipes across the line and the odd slash through point, Border will take no prizes for aesthetics. But his grit and determination and his ability to score runs in all conditions must have counted heavily in his favour when the lists were submitted. He averaged over 50 in England, West Indies and India in an insanely tough time for travelling cricketers. Border only scored one test double century, which was also his highest ever first class score, and his 50s to 100 conversion rate wasn't pretty, but the amount of important fifties he scored when his side was in dire straits is commendable. Constantly having to dig his side out of a hole after blokes like Greg Ritchie failed is a tough ask. He was also the first player to crack 150 tests, so his career longevity was also unheard of at the time. And averaging over 50 against some of the bowlers he faced is a true achievement.
AB actually got two Test double tons - there was also the 200 not out in England in '93.