cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree293Likes

Thread: The best after the Don? CW ranked 25 contenders, here is the countdown thread

Cricketer Of The Year mr_mister's Avatar
    avraged 77 in NZ from 9 tests against Hadlee
    cricket rules brah

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    So against Chatfield and Sneddon as well.

Rest of his away record must be trash then. Inzi and Younis > Miandad. Easily.

He had a decent average in England from a big sample size, but the 77 stood out to me

Anyway people still talk him up as a legend so I threw him in

That Trumper pic looks like stickcricket
    Kirkut and kingkallis like this.
    "Cricket is an art. Like all arts it has a technical foundation. To enjoy it does not require technical knowledge, but analysis that is not technically based is mere impressionism."
    - C.L.R. James

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Mr_mister out on the turps last night I reckon. Need some more list action today please. This is good stuff

International Debutant SillyCowCorner1's Avatar
    Chappatti- once a critic, always a critic.

Rahul Dravid (177 points) FC average of 55.33, FC H.S of 270. 68 FC centuries

The wall as is he's often called was a bit of anomaly in the 21st century. His defensive mindset and great powers of concentration made him more a cricketer that would have been at home in the 1950s than in the t20 era. Mind you India weren't interested in giving him a go in the t20 format, but they did use him in the ODI arena and to minor surprise he performed pretty decently.

Tests were his bread and butter though of course. Dravid could bat time better than literally all his peers. The ying to Tendulkar's yang(and Sehwag's yang), Dravid built his career around solid foundations and solid defense. He obviously had the shots too, scoring 36 test tons is no small feat. He had a ridiculously impressive record in England and a respectable record at home. It was only in Australia and South Africa, on hard bouncy pitches, did he sometimes struggle. I was usually a little bored watching him bat as a kid, but there's no denying his greatness

Everton Weekes (184 points) FC average of 55.34, FC H.S of 304*. 36 FC centuries

Probably considered by most to be the best bat out of the 3 W's and its probably because his test average of 58 is the highest. But when you break it down it seems Walcott was a little more impressive. Weekes got to feast on more minnows, averaging ~80 from 21 tests against NZ, India and Pakistan, but only ~42 from 27 tests against Australia and England. Not that he failed against the very best, but he didn't have the record one might expect. He was said to be a very attacking player, possessing all the shots. And in his defence India had Gupte and Pakistan had Fazal, so it's not like he was scoring runs against complete scrubs. But he can probably count himself lucky to reach 19 on this list.

But i'm being too critical of the man now. Stats aside, the 3 W's, Worrell, Walcott and Weekes as a unit were very important in the West Indies establishing themselves as a cricketing world superpower. They complemented each other so damn well, even lone wolves like Headley, Sobers, Viv and Lara couldn't get the team batting totals as high as they were when the W's were on the scene.

Even if 4 of them were against India, 5 centuries in 5 consecutive test innings is pretty damn impressive from Weekes.
    ATG Test XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. S.R Tendulkar 5. W.R Hammond 6. G.S Sobers 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.J Procter 9. M.D Marshall 10. S.K Warne 11. G.D McGrath

Am I right in thinking that Javed was never lbw in a home test in his entire career? I seem to recall that being a thing... and that's partly why I put him a level below the likes of Border or Waugh. Plus didn't India and Pakistan play 6-test series that ended no more than 1-0, so flat were the pitches and so defensive was the mindset?

He was insanely good against my home-country NZ though (in stark contrast to Zaheer Abbas who was completely awful against us....)
    zorax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_mister View Post
    Probably considered by most to be the best bat out of the 3 W's and its probably because his test average of 58 is the highest. But when you break it down it seems Walcott was a little more impressive. Weekes got to feast on more minnows, averaging ~80 from 21 tests against NZ, India and Pakistan, but only ~42 from 27 tests against Australia and England. Not that he failed against the very best, but he didn't have the record one might expect. He was said to be a very attacking player, possessing all the shots. And in his defence India had Gupte and Pakistan had Fazal, so it's not like he was scoring runs against complete scrubs. But he can probably count himself lucky to reach 19 on this list.
    I tend to rate Walcott marginally higher than Weekes in my head. You provided good justification above.
    RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

Quote Originally Posted by Flametree View Post
    Am I right in thinking that Javed was never lbw in a home test in his entire career? I seem to recall that being a thing... and that's partly why I put him a level below the likes of Border or Waugh. Plus didn't India and Pakistan play 6-test series that ended no more than 1-0, so flat were the pitches and so defensive was the mindset?

He was insanely good against my home-country NZ though (in stark contrast to Zaheer Abbas who was completely awful against us....)
    Possibly. I didn't wanna get too much into a topic like that though

International Debutant Victor Ian's Avatar
    come on mister. I've got some likes here waiting for you.
    zorax likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Dravid WAFG. Beasted some very difficult overseas conditions in England, NZ (2002) and WI (2006). Might not have been consistently great vs Aus and SA but our three most memorable wins ever vs that great Australia team all were made possible because of a big performance from him.
    vcs and zorax like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Wow baby, that gave me an orgasmic pleasure!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaagarkarajaaja View Post
    All Prasie to Ajit Bhalchandra Agarkar, the pride of Mumbai, the terminator at Adelaide.
    Quote Originally Posted by VoL View Post
    I've joined this forum, just so that i can agree with OverratedSanity...

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Ian View Post
    come on mister. I've got some likes here waiting for you.
    I'm without a computer til the 4th. Will make up for it with a big day of writing

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information