• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best after the Don? CW ranked 25 contenders, here is the countdown thread

Kirkut

International Regular
Just watched Sachin's last innings vs West Indies in BCCI's website, that cracking on drive off Darren Sammy and the punched backfoot drive off Tino Best, man! miss this so much on cricket.
I follow Kane Williamson's batting a lot with the prime reason being whenever he plays in the V he resembles Sachin so much!

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I was watching a video of Sobers' batting the other day, and the glorious onside strokes reminded me of a present day West Indian youngster. I thought about it for 10-15 minutes, and then I knew the name is Shimron Hetmyer.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought it's about overall batting (including LO stuff). The original thread didn't mention anything about tests or FC. That's why I kept Viv so high.
Sorry being pedantic here but it did mention it. YOU COULD'VE BEEN THE VOTE THAT CHANGED IT ALL!:@

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Viv versus SRT is going to stir up strong opinions. Personally I'm not sure who's best, I edge microscopically to Viv. But in certain situations I'd still take the little Indian maestro.

For me Tendulkar is a top of the range Mercedes with a spanking build quality and attention to detail. Even the cup holder is perfectly in sync with the rest of the vehicle.

Viv is a Maseratti. Not the same across the board perfection, but that's not what he's about. It's the noise, the power, the ***iness. The sheer wtf of it all!!

Depends what you favour! Both have their considerable merits

Slifer

International Captain
Stats and all that say Sachin tbh. But sir Viv is a hero of mine bla bla bla. Afaic, when it comes to West Indian batsmen it's Viv daylight the rest...

Kirkut

International Regular
Viv versus SRT is going to stir up strong opinions. Personally I'm not sure who's best, I edge microscopically to Viv. But in certain situations I'd still take the little Indian maestro.

For me Tendulkar is a top of the range Mercedes with a spanking build quality and attention to detail. Even the cup holder is perfectly in sync with the rest of the vehicle.

Viv is a Maseratti. Not the same across the board perfection, but that's not what he's about. It's the noise, the power, the ***iness. The sheer wtf of it all!!

Depends what you favour! Both have their considerable merits
What intrigued me the most was his domination in England. While Dravid treated good deliveries with respect and played the waiting game against high class swing bowling, Viv on the other hand scored 232 and 291 at a strike rate of 75, he made batting look too easy in England.

centurymaker

International Captain
What I find weird is that people even value the hybrid 'international' stat. Like other then Tendulkars test and ODI centuries equalling 100, has anyone cared about the combined value of the two forms before or since?
Of course people do. Cricket is NOT just Test cricket. It also totally incorporates limited overs games.

Similarly-
Batsmanship in particular is not solely Test cricket related, it is includes ODI and T20 because they challenge you quite differently as a batsman.

Would be ridiculous to call someone the best batsman who couldn't perform in limited overs, because not being able to do well in the other format means that the guy has a significant flaw in his 'batsmanship' and is not able to adapt his game. He can't be the best batsman. (There's several additional skills you need to be top class in limited overs)

People combine stats all the time. Kohli passed 50 international tons last year. It was all over the internet. Maybe only at places like CW, people have developed a superiority complex and look down upon limited overs even though cricket is surviving because of ODIs and T20s.

If limiter overs was a joke like many others here consider it to be, nobody would give a **** about cricket world cup or even T20 world cup. It would hardly mean anything. And countries like India would never have played countless ODIs for decades at the expense of Tests. And some south africans right now and Tendulkar when he was playing wouldn't have been so desperate to become world champion.

cnerd123

likes this
I just want to make the point that holding it against a player for 'playing on too long' is dumb

It's not like the innings Sachin played in the tail end of his career suddenly retroactively makes the innings he played at the peak of his career less good. It's not like the runs he scored when he was the best in the world means less because he had a 4 year stretch where he was merely 'average'. If he had retired when at his peak with a career average in the high 50s he would have been 2nd of all time without a doubt. He keeps playing more cricket on from that point, scoring more runs, and suddenly he is less good?

It's just bizarre logic that I cannot wrap my head around