• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI Modern Country Draft (2000s)

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
So a description for my side, which I shall label "The Big Ball XI".

I have, imo anyway, the best opening combination possible, with Amla a terrific all round batsman who can play in just about any style. Sehwag is a banger and yes, he is limited away from flat tracks but when he gets going, even if its a quick 30, in the modern rule set, it would leave my side 50-60 runs in the pp overs.

Tendo is one of the associate players ever, and not only is a top batsman, he can bring something to the bowling unit.

The middle order is probably second only to randycric's team, with Yousuf having a similar class and ability to Amla and then the wackers in Buttler and QDK. They add depth because they can both keep and ultimately, whoever I decide to be keeper, the other one can be an exceptional fielder.

Then we get down to what is easily the best tail (I know, I know, it's my team but I'm being honest). Styris and Bravo are very good ODI batsmen, can get good scores and extend the batting all the way down to 8.

The bowling...well what can I say. Opening with the greatest ODI bowler ever? Yes please. Need him to wipe out the tail? Tick. Lee compliments Waqar perfectly, both being very quick and having the ability to move the new and old ball. Add to that the best spinner to ever grace the game and then 3 EXTRA bowlers, Bravo, Styris and Tendo. Heck, even Sehwag can add in a few overs.

This is the best all round, all bases covered XI.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Sunil Narine has extremely decent record in ODIs and he has stunning ER which is the reason why I picked him ahead of some other bowlers of Windies. Not a single batting unit could score more than 4.8/over against Narine.

92 wickets in 65 games with the ER of 4.12 is a steal.
It is a decent pick, considering the Windies don't have a lot of options this century BUT it's not as good as some of the other spinners that have been picked. Then again, Narine adds a little bit with the bat.

01. Brendan McCullum+
02. Rohit Sharma
03. Aravinda de Silva
04. Joe Root
05. Michael Clarke*
06. David Miller
07. Shakib al Hasan
08. Nathan Bracken
09. Saqlain Mushtaq
10. Dale Steyn
11. Jerome Taylor

Not the worst team on the whole.
That batting line up could certainly be explosive, or go bust. Root is probably the most consistent of the lot but you have some key bases covered. Root and Clarke to anchor the innings, Mac and Sharma to burst from the blocks and then Shakib to link with the tail.

The bowling is decent, with Bracken a smart presence and a little bit of pace with Steyn and Taylor. Saq and Hasan are the key here, because if they can choke teams in the middle overs, which they often did/do, then sides could be in trouble.

Pretty good side.

Last edited:

Teuton

International Captain
Sachin Tendulkar
Saeed Anwar
Kumar Sangakkara
Steve Smith
Eoin Morgan
Mike Hussey
Lance Klusener
Shane Bond
Darren Gough
Anil Kumble
Curtly Ambrose

I have an awesome top 7 with big century makers in the top 4 and great finishers/hitters from 5-7. Bond and Ambrose are as good as any opening bowlers backed by a legitimate 5 man attack.

Last edited:

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
haha cow is done, we might as well make the poll, as he isn't left with a whole lot of top players, since we have picked them all

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ramnaresh Sarwan

1. Chris Gayle (WI)
2. Paul Stirling (OTHER)
3. Ramnaresh Sarwan (WI)
4. Marcus Trescothick (ENG)
5. Inzamam-ul-Haq (PAK)
6. Mark Boucher + (SA)
7. Daniel Vettori (NZ)
8. Mashrafe Mortaza (OTHER)
9. Nuwan Kulasekara (SL)