• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time Australian XI game

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe we should have a discussion thread for all of these different teams but curious to know if anyone is feeling Smith and Warner are a little high if they never play again or in the rightful place?
Well I tried to put players as they stood right now rather than adding potential to improve to the mix. I think they've done enough to be where they are.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd also swap Gillespie for Benaud, or at least swap him with Terror Turner. Loved Dizzy, but him in an ATG Aus A team is a bit generous.

the big bambino

International Captain
Re jimmy101. Would leave Smith and McCabe as is, agree about Jackson and Warner and also the overly high rating of Gillespie. I would also punt Tom Moody who was utter toilet and whom I wouldn't have anywhere near an Australian team. Replace him with someone like Charlie McLeod whom I couldn't see after a quick scan.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Re jimmy101. Would leave Smith and McCabe as is, agree about Jackson and Warner and also the overly high rating of Gillespie. I would also punt Tom Moody who was utter toilet and whom I wouldn't have anywhere near an Australian team. Replace him with someone like Charlie McLeod whom I couldn't see after a quick scan.
Looking back, it seems I was one of the people who voted Smith into the Aus A side. So I guess my opinion of him has already slightly changed! But to be fair, Smith has the potential to possibly make the 1st XI if he can return to business as usual upon his possible return.

McLeod is a great call. I also wonder how high Paine could potentially climb.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FTR I would swap Smith & McCabe, and swap Warner for Jackson.

Other than that, Frank Laver could, and should, have made one of these teams. Possibly at the expense of Moody.

But yeah, a discussion/comparison thread would be fascinating.
Laver definitely should have been in, I put him where Yardley went.

We could just do discussion/comparison in this thread. Especially as I have nicely collated all the teams.

One thing I thought about was what the team bowling order would be, the problem being you stuff a whole bunch of new ball bowlers into a team, so one has to miss out. Perhaps we could assume that the ball will move for a little longer than the balls that we've been using in Aus over the past five years. But the spinny/cuttery sort of fast medium bowlers would be a good shout for many first changes.

the big bambino

International Captain
Looking back, it seems I was one of the people who voted Smith into the Aus A side. So I guess my opinion of him has already slightly changed! But to be fair, Smith has the potential to possibly make the 1st XI if he can return to business as usual upon his possible return.

McLeod is a great call. I also wonder how high Paine could potentially climb.
Also Billy Bruce who averaged about the same as Moody in a lower scoring era and could bowl and the little dasher, Harry Graham.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Also Billy Bruce who averaged about the same as Moody in a lower scoring era and could bowl and the little dasher, Harry Graham.
Absolutely, I was reading up on the little Dasher only a few days ago. Made a century on Test debut at Lord's!

Anyway, here's a hypothetical P team

1 L Favell
2 R McCosker
3 J Worrall
4 H Graham
5 N Pellew
6 W Bruce
7 F Laver
8 R Saggers+
9 A Bichel
10 C Fleetwood-Smith
11 G Tribe

Other names that sprung to mind were Chipperfield, Wellham, McCormick, Lyons, Horan, Kline & Wall

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Absolutely, I was reading up on the little Dasher only a few days ago. Made a century on Test debut at Lord's!

1 L Favell
2 R McCosker
3 J Worrall
4 H Graham
5 N Pellew
6 W Bruce
7 F Laver
8 R Saggers+
9 A Bichel
10 C Fleetwood-Smith
11 G Tribe

Other names that sprung to mind were Chipperfield, Wellham, McCormick, Lyons, Horan, Kline & Wall
McCosker's in the K XI.

Seems to be a some decent bowlers that missed out but the batting depth was depleted relatively quickly.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Missed that. Could probably shoehorn Lyons into the side then I guess.

Interestingly, it seems that England have had greater betting depth over the years in comparison to Aus. Do you think that would have anything to do with them having more population/FC teams?

the big bambino

International Captain

1 L Favell
2 R McCosker
3 J Worrall
4 H Graham
5 N Pellew
6 W Bruce
7 F Laver
8 R Saggers+
9 A Bichel
10 C Fleetwood-Smith
11 G Tribe

This isn't a bad side at all. Nice one.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
But yeah, a discussion/comparison thread would be fascinating.
If someone could be bothered it would be pretty fun to see a bracket style tournament with all of the teams selected too.

FTR it was just a question re Smith and Warner. I think for me personally Smith drops to the B team and Warner drops 1 or 2 teams if this actually ended up being the last image of them.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
McCosker's in the K XI.

Seems to be a some decent bowlers that missed out but the batting depth was depleted relatively quickly.
It's the old thing of there being more spots for batsmen. The England game is going to end with some quite decent spinners left out, and there's fast bowlers who haven't been picked who would walk into the current side.

Missed that. Could probably shoehorn Lyons into the side then I guess.

Interestingly, it seems that England have had greater betting depth over the years in comparison to Aus. Do you think that would have anything to do with them having more population/FC teams?
I think it's partly that. England has played a lot more players over the years then Aus and there's quite a few people who were decent at times but didn't stick round.