• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time Australian XI game

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha I think that there would be one person maximum picking some of the other countries XIs. Its been so good that we've had a good core of 5-6 who have voted on like 14 teams so far.
I think that England and maybe India could go deep, but otherwise...

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think that England and maybe India could go deep, but otherwise...
Yeah true. NZ might have a few people keen too. I think you'd be about to get to a NZ G XI (so 8th XI vs Aus 16th XI) reasonably well.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Chris Martin and Martin Guptill are LOL-ing at having Phil Hughes as opener by the way....

Throwing a couple of names into the hat that seem to be being ignored...

No. 8 - Fairfax

No 6 - Loxton

No. 5 - Taylor

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
I was wondering which actual Australia team would be the best, according to this thread. There's at least one XI - Langer-Hayden-Ponting-Waugh(S)-Waugh(M)-Martyn-Gilchrist-Warne-Lee-Gillespie-McGrath - in which all the players were picked in Team F or earlier.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
It'd be pretty easy to come up with a general consensus of the other nation's best XIs without doing the whole voting exercise.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I was wondering which actual Australia team would be the best, according to this thread. There's at least one XI - Langer-Hayden-Ponting-Waugh(S)-Waugh(M)-Martyn-Gilchrist-Warne-Lee-Gillespie-McGrath - in which all the players were picked in Team F or earlier.
Did MacGill ever play a Test with this combo instead of Lee?I am assuming you would assign say 16 points for Australia, 15 A all the way down to 1 point for aus 0.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
IMO this thread has been an overwhelming success, extremely interesting, &, most of all, great fun. Thanks Nufers!

If we were to continue with the next nation, which team would you be tempted to do next?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Australia M XI
1 G Wood
2 P Hughes
3 P Sheahan
4 G Ritchie
5 S Gregory
6 M Bevan
7 T Paine
8 N Hawke
9 A Hurst
10 C Rackemann
11 J Iverson

Quite a long tail there.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Onto the second last team

- Name the Aus M captain
- If you were to participate in another countries equivalent, would you like to do England, India or New Zealand next.

- Name Australia N XIs two opening bowlers
- Name Aus Ns two opening batsman
- Name the teams keeper.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
IMO this thread has been an overwhelming success, extremely interesting, &, most of all, great fun. Thanks Nufers!

If we were to continue with the next nation, which team would you be tempted to do next?
Cheers Jimmy. Ive enjoyed it too. It gives you an idea where everyone sits in the grand scheme of things. I definitely think it has been hard to rate say a 12 test guy from the 1950s vs a 25 test guy from the current era.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Gregory.
India would be fun.

Bichel & Hilfenhaus.
Alick Bannerman & Matthew Elliott.
Len Maddocks.

Teuton

International Captain
Rackemann

I would give any team a go. Would be best with 'local' contributors though.

Ben Hilfenhaus & Ernie Jones
Matthew Elliott & Bruce Laird
Brian Taber

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We're still going to have some decent pace bowlers left at the end of this. I should go Jones, Meckiff and Wayne Clark for the final XI, three dodgy actions.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gregory
England

Ernie Jones & Ben Hilfenhaus
Matthew Elliott & Bruce Laird
Len Maddocks