• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time Australian XI game

Himannv

International Coach
Archie Jackson is a good call. I totally forgot about him. I'm not sure who I would leave out to fit him in though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Australia D XI
1 D Warner
2 S Barnes
3 I Chappell
4 D Martyn
5 M Waugh
6 W Armstrong
7 J Gregory
8 D Tallon+
9 H Trumble
10 C McDermott
11 T Alderman

Another deciding vote between Waugh and O'Neill. I dislike seeing Waugh behind Martyn in the order, but I just think he was a slightly better bat.

Australia E XI
10 S MacGill

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
- Name the Aus D captain

- Name the two Aus E opening batsman
- Name the two Aus E opening bowlers.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Armstrong

Katich
Brown

Ferris
Lawson (I suspect I will be the only person to make this particular nomination)

Last edited:

Teuton

International Captain
Chappelli (but hard to split he and the big ship)

Mark Taylor and Warren Bardsley

Bruce Reid and Josh Hazlewood

Starfighter

For reference:

Australia XI:

1. VT Trumper
2. ML Hayden
3. DG Bradman *
4. GS Chappell
5. AR Border
6. KR Miller
7. AC Gilchrist +
8. RR Lindwall
9. SK Warne
10. DK Lillee
11. GD McGrath

Australia A XI
1. AR Morris
2. RB Simpson
3. RT Ponting
4. RN Harvey
5. SPD Smith
6. SR Waugh *
7. IA Healy +
8. AK Davidson
9. JN Gillespie
10. WJ Reilly
11. FR Spofforth

Australia B XI
1. WM Lawry
2. WH Ponsford
3. C Hill
4. SJ McCabe
5. MJ Clarke
6. KD Walters
7. RW Marsh +
8. MG Johnson
9. CBT Turner
10. CV Grimmett
11. JR Thomson

Australia C XI
1. WM Woodfull
2. JL Langer
3. CG Macartney
4. AL Hassett
5. MEK Hussey
6. MA Noble
7. RB Benaud
8. WAS Oldfield +
9. RJ Harris
10. GD McKenzie
11. WA Johnston

Australia D XI
1. DA Warner
2. SG Barnes
3. IM Chappell
4. DR Martyn
5. ME Waugh
6. WW Armstrong
7. JM Gregory
8. D Tallon +
9. H Trumble
10. CJ McDermott
11. TM Alderman

Last edited:

Starfighter

Lawson is a good call though. I'm predicting were going to run out of top quality spinners before we run out of top class quickies.
Well there's quite a number of guys with better records than Lawson though. I mean, he averaged over 30 and that's a bit of a stretch for an all time XI. He's more one who could have done much better had he been luckier with injuries etc. SJS posted up extracts from one of Lillee's books from 1983 where he said the the reason why he didn't include him in his list of great bowlers yet was because 'he was still young and his best years were ahead of him' but he would only average under 30 in two more series in the last seven years of his career. Really I've picked him because I like his bowling aesthetically.

We've still quite a number of good spinners, if a bit old-school. Giffen, Ironmonger, Mailey, Saunders, Mallet, Johnson, Lyon. Perhaps not all quite top class but still good.
We're spoiled for keepers. Grout, Haddin, Kelly, Carter and Blackham and Langley are all good picks, although some are weak on batting which will come into consideration.
And Kelleway and Archer are still there for all rounders.