• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

the new real steve smith question

will he go past 945 points

• yes

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • no

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • why aren't you asking if Williamson is gonna break new ground? He's just as good as Smith

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Insane to think that Bradman is still 14 points clear and Smith's 180 odd runs in the last test only raised him by 2 points.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Insane to think that Bradman is still 14 points clear and Smith's 180 odd runs in the last test only raised him by 2 points.
The way the formula works, Smith would have to make like five 300 not outs in a row to get ahead wouldn't he

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Someone post up his stats from the start of the Oval Test 2013.

Yesterday was his 23rd ton in 60 Tests, but I think I'm right in saying the Oval Test was his 14th.

So if my maths is right he's more or less scored a ton every other Test since his first.

Bijed

International Regular
Someone post up his stats from the start of the Oval Test 2013.

Yesterday was his 23rd ton in 60 Tests, but I think I'm right in saying the Oval Test was his 14th.

So if my maths is right he's more or less scored a ton every other Test since his first.
As requested

It would appear that the Oval was his 12th match, but given he's only batted once in a few tests since then so since his first ton he's probably scored one every 3-4 innings

Edit: Starting from his maiden ton, it's 23 in 84 innings, so a rate of 1 century every 3.65 innings

Last edited:

Darwin Award

U19 Cricketer

I know,I know.

Before the Perth test Smith's rating was 939.He scores 239 (bats once only and averages 239 for the test) and jumps up 6 places to 945.

Now in Melbourne scores 76 & 102* respectively for an average of 178 and for his troubles goes up 2 places to 947.I was at least expecting 949 to be honest after the test was over and he got the red ink.

He had to score 417 runs to go from 939 to 947.Man, to ascend upwards in the ratings at an exponential rate is just incredibly tough at this rarefied air now.Even if he scores 50 & 50 in Sydney it'll probably actually lower his ranking instead of increasing it.

If he does peak at 947 it'd be cool if a bat sponsor gets on board and he has ''947' splashed across his bat when he goes out to bat in the future.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Is there somewhere that explains how the ICC rankings actually work?

TNT

Banned
I know,I know.

Before the Perth test Smith's rating was 935.He scores 239 (bats once only and averages 239 for the test) and jumps up 6 places to 945.

Now in Melbourne scores 76 & 102* respectively for an average of 178 and for his troubles goes up 2 places to 947.I was at least expecting 949 to be honest after the test was over and he got the red ink.

He had to score 417 runs to go from 935 to 947.Man, to ascend upwards in the ratings at an exponential rate is just incredibly tough at this rarefied air now.Even if he scores 50 & 50 in Sydney it'll probably actually lower his ranking instead of increasing it.

If he does peak at 947 it'd be cool if a bat sponsor gets on board and he has ''947' splashed across his bat when he goes out to bat in the future.
I have read a bit about the process and because it was harder or more accurately more wickets for runs scored Smith received more points from Perth than Melbourne.

The level of run-scoring in the match, and the team’s innings total; an innings of 100 runs in a match where all teams scored 500 is worth less than 100 runs in a match where all teams were bowled out for 200. And if a team scores 500 in the first innings and 200 in the second innings, a century in the second innings will get more credit than in the first innings (because the general level of run scoring was higher in the first innings)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Virat Kohli is sitting at 912 points now. Only Gavaskar among Indian batsmen have achieved a higher rating (916 points).

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Steve Smith is becoming some sort of omnipresence casting a spell over the autumn. I wouldn't mind, but I did a search for Dale Steyn.