Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: The Steven Smith Question

Gob
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    What’s his away average since 2014 I wonder.
    Wonder no more.

Dead Dove Do Not Eat

Virat-Vaughan-Amla

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Cheers.

Got a bit to prove then..

Fmd that’s better than Border’s away average. Smaller sample size obvs

Quote Originally Posted by Chrish View Post
    His ability to make runs in varied conditions can’t be questioned. What I am interested to know is how long he will be able to maintain high standard (not necessarily his current form).

From memory Ponting had even better peak than Smith.
    Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

5 year peaks. Somehow I think Smith's 2018 will be better than his 2013 though.
    ATG Test XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. S.R Tendulkar 5. W.R Hammond 6. G.S Sobers 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.J Procter 9. M.D Marshall 10. S.K Warne 11. G.D McGrath

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromLancs View Post
    Two conflicting opinions I've heard expressed this week:

1. His success is ruining cricket because he has a horrible style and he's just compiling masses of runs on dead tracks in a near-dead era of the sport.

2. He's an inspiration. A guy with a homegrown technique who climbed from a number 8 batsman and part-time leggie, to by far the best batsman on the planet, and maybe an all time great.

... I'm not advocating either of these with this opening post. I'm just interested in how people see it.

Either of these or somewhere in the middle??
    Englishman accusing Steve Smith of ruining cricket.

Amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    i like many come to cw to briefly escape the pain of mediocre and obscure existence by being mediocre and obscure on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitycreeper View Post
    been speakin to this lass for a while finally got her round muy house. whakcd on netflix and told her to pick a film. big mistake cos she picked ****in footlose. 2 hours of torture and she dint even blow me. shambles. safe to say we arent talkin no more

International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromLancs View Post
    Two conflicting opinions I've heard expressed this week:

1. His success is ruining cricket because he has a horrible style and he's just compiling masses of runs on dead tracks in a near-dead era of the sport.

2. He's an inspiration. A guy with a homegrown technique who climbed from a number 8 batsman and part-time leggie, to by far the best batsman on the planet, and maybe an all time great.

... I'm not advocating either of these with this opening post. I'm just interested in how people see it.

Either of these or somewhere in the middle??
    Not sure how anyone can come to this conclusion tbh. He scores more than anyone else on green tracks and rank turners as well as roads.

I'm just waiting for the time that he loses his eye and his form falls off a cliff and starts averaging 30 though
    zorax likes this.

Smith is already an ATG.

He's the new AB. Taking a crap team with only one other decent bat (Boony in AB's case, Warner in Smith's case) and carrying it on his shoulders while making mountains of runs.

Except that Smith is averaging twelve runs more than AB while doing it.

It's incredible to watch and inspiring. Makes me really wish I could get out there and play again.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Smith is already an ATG.

He's the new AB. Taking a crap team with only one other decent bat (Boony in AB's case, Warner in Smith's case) and carrying it on his shoulders while making mountains of runs.

Except that Smith is averaging twelve runs more than AB while doing it.

It's incredible to watch and inspiring. Makes me really wish I could get out there and play again.
    Awta. Well said

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    When great players come along people always say they score runs in easy conditions, against bad bowlers etc. Smith, like the rest, scores them pretty much everywhere.

They’ll sort him out in India, England, SA, wherever. They’ll sort him out whe it bounces/ spins/ swings etc. Doesn’t happen.

The bloke is a machine. And part of his genius is he actually DGAF what he looks like or how he gets them. He just gets it done. If it takes 300 balls he does it; if he can get them in 140 balls he does it.

He’ll nick off or go cheaply occasionally, but if you watch him after a couple of digs where he hasn’t scored (seen it in odi series, for example) you can physically see him just doing whatever it takes to make runs next time around, even to the point where he reduces the excessive pre-delivery moment to make sure his head is still.

Like most people on here, I’ve watched a lot of Cricket, going back to the 70s in my case, and dead set I’ve never seen another player like him. Not because he fidgets (Randall and others have done that), not because he walks across (Boonie, Kat), not because he has the backlift to gully (Walters) or because he’s determined (all the great players). I think it’s because you can *see* the determination manifest itself in him, sometimes even within a single over.

Without sounding disparaging, I reckon if he isn’t on the spectrum, he can surely wave to it from where he’s standing, and he just channels himself into making runs. Nothing else matters to him at all. It’s actuallly ****ing scary.
    He was always incredibly focused. When he was 17 he was offered a county contract while still at school and just went for it
    Don't go chasing waterfalls

International Regular Victor Ian's Avatar
    What Burgey and Fred said.

I think it is fascinating to watch someone with their own technique dominate like he is. Too often, when I am watching, I cringe at the shot he is making then silently wtf myself as he pulls it off. I love it - someone backing himself, rather than a textbook. If Cricket was all about playing shots like M Waugh or Gower then we would have a panel of judges holding up cards from 1-10, like ice skating, instead of counting runs.

My favourite shots of his are the two handed forehand and the fly-swat.
    Last edited by Victor Ian; 20-12-2017 at 06:59 PM.

TNT
    Amazing player and person, he just keeps proving people wrong so the nitpicking keeps getting stupider (batting on roads, no good against swing, moving ball).

All batsmen are judged on what they actually did/do, not what they might have, could have ,should have done
    quincywagstaff likes this.
    If you nick it walk

International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    It's kind of sad that people are still trying to find ways to discredit him and find weird excuses for his success.

Some people are just salty af

How sour do you have to be to think that a guy averaging 60 is killing the game, fmd.
    zorax likes this.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
    If his success is ruining cricket then christ knows how folk would have dealt with Bradman today. More power to him, it's up to the rest to catch up, surely? I mean, I thought the whole point of sport was to strive to beat and to overcome the best, rather than wave the white flag and go home as soon as the opponent shows excellence.

Here's the rub though. Steve Smith will need to have a series like this one again, but this time in English conditions, to be considered an all-time great. Until then, and as great a player as he is (and I agree that going from a No. 8 part-time leggie to where he is today is outrageously impressive), he's being judged on Aussie roads and therefore shouldn't be part of such a conversation.

He's an odd fellow at the crease though. I look at him sometimes and think, 'WTF is this guy doing averaging 60 in Test cricket, he isn't fit to lace [insert Australian great of 97-07]'s boots'. But there you go.
    It's generally accepted that as long as you average 40 or above at major venues, it's good enough.

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    It's a myth that he's ugly to watch. His Perth knock was a joy to watch. Granted the pitch was a good one for attractive strokeplay, but he was on a different level to everyone else. He can play like that, and grind runs out with the best of them as well, like at Brisbane.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    It's a myth that he's ugly to watch. His Perth knock was a joy to watch. Granted the pitch was a good one for attractive strokeplay, but he was on a different level to everyone else. He can play like that, and grind runs out with the best of them as well, like at Brisbane.
    His Pune and Dharamshala knocks were ****ing incredible.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information