Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: The Steven Smith Question

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MediumFast View Post
    He is great but not really that different from Lara, Ponting, Kallis and Tendulkar in their pomp. The low scoring phase is inevitable to "balance" the batting average to say 55 or so.
    Dunno how heíll cope, ending up with an average of 55 or so. Poor bastard.
    cpr likes this.

I'll only rate him when he can make a score vs Bangladesh in Bangladesh.
    ATG Test XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. S.R Tendulkar 5. W.R Hammond 6. G.S Sobers 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.J Procter 9. M.D Marshall 10. S.K Warne 11. G.D McGrath

Did the people who are saying he makes runs only on Aussie roads not watch him in Brisbane? Or even Hobart last year when he made 48* out of a hideous team total of 80? I mean, he got 40 in Adelaide under lights this year and England was **** a hoop like heíd jagged a pair.

Gob
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
    If his success is ruining cricket then christ knows how folk would have dealt with Bradman today. More power to him, it's up to the rest to catch up, surely? I mean, I thought the whole point of sport was to strive to beat and to overcome the best, rather than wave the white flag and go home as soon as the opponent shows excellence.

Here's the rub though. Steve Smith will need to have a series like this one again, but this time in English conditions, to be considered an all-time great. Until then, and as great a player as he is (and I agree that going from a No. 8 part-time leggie to where he is today is outrageously impressive), he's being judged on Aussie roads and therefore shouldn't be part of such a conversation.

He's an odd fellow at the crease though. I look at him sometimes and think, 'WTF is this guy doing averaging 60 in Test cricket, he isn't fit to lace [insert Australian great of 97-07]'s boots'. But there you go.
    Pretty sure his away record alone is better than the over all records of the other three.

Tend to agree with that bit about England. He over came the Indian challenge brilliantly and if he leads Aust to an away ashes win in 19 while doing his bit with the bat he'll go down as a legitimate ATG and he'll only be 30.
    Dead Dove Do Not Eat

Virat-Vaughan-Amla

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Without sounding disparaging, I reckon if he isnít on the spectrum, he can surely wave to it from where heís standing, and he just channels himself into making runs. Nothing else matters to him at all. Itís actuallly ****ing scary.
    I'd be upset if this were to be taken as a dig, but there have been occasions when listening to him talk where I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking of the spectrum and his place thereon. He strikes me as inhabiting a savant's plain.
    Jones! Bowden!

Jeez isn't literally everyone somewhere on the spectrum nowadays?
    zorax likes this.

He averaged 56 in England in 2015. I suppose for him that is mediocre these days.

Gob
    He averaged 56 in England in 2015. I suppose for him that is mediocre these days.
    Missed out on the two venues where the ball moved the most i suppose thats where the whole can't play the moving ball thing stems. Obviously way too sample size to do any thing especially considering that he only genuinely fell for the moving ball twice but the only crack in his otherwise perfect record so got to clutch on to that

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    Same as Bradman against Bodyline
    JBMAC and zorax like this.

Haha yeah was thinking the same

For goodness sake Smith made runs in India on turning wickets vs an excellent spin attack AND he's made runs in RSA VS Steyn and Co. Good enough for me to declare him the best around and if his career ended right now he'd be an atg easily. Lol at people saying he only makes runs on ozzie roads that's bs.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    Haha yeah was thinking the same
    letting myself get played by Burgey - still that's doubtless happened to better men than me

Gob
    Quote Originally Posted by Slifer View Post
    For goodness sake Smith made runs in India on turning wickets vs an excellent spin attack AND he's made runs in RSA VS Steyn and Co. Good enough for me to declare him the best around and if his career ended right now he'd be an atg easily. Lol at people saying he only makes runs on ozzie roads that's bs.
    Well his away average is almost 20 runs less than him home average. Too bad that his home average is 74 though

Whatís his away average since 2014 I wonder.

U19 Vice-Captain
    His ability to make runs in varied conditions canít be questioned. What I am interested to know is how long he will be able to maintain high standard (not necessarily his current form).

From memory Ponting had even better peak than Smith.
    Last edited by Chrish; 20-12-2017 at 03:13 PM.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information