• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Steven Smith Question

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's definitely in a much better mental state now than he was in SA last year so that should be a fun battle.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'm not sure of the particular name of the bias, but it seems to be heavily in play with comparing Smith with players of yesteryear. Sort of like a 'everything was better in my day' sort of Neil Harvey crossed with the romanticism of the past kinda thing.

Smith is just an ATG, best in the world now, 2nd best Australian batsman of all time by every metric except seemingly some people's rose-tinted glasses.
It's not that. It's the knowledge that other players have had similar peaks before a gradual decline in their last 5 years, which brings them back to mere mortal status, statistically. Even though in that period they are still worth a spot in the team. It was obvious with Ponting.

He's amazing though, and now sits with Ponting, GChappell, Border, Harvey and SWaugh as the second best Aust batsman ever.

Gob

International Coach
I'm guessing all those runs against Jadeja in India don't count then.
He scored all the runs overthere against Ravi Ashwin and his big brain.

Makes you wonder though. What's bigger Ravi's Brain or Siddles heart? Worth a thread

Last edited:

Malcolm

U19 Vice-Captain
Smith averages 39.77 against leg-spin and 37.05 against left-arm finger spin.

Last edited:

trundler

Those averages can be a tad misleading since I wouldn't mind him thrashing the rest before getting out to the left arm spinner trying to slog to mid wicket on 140.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
In hindsight I think he went into ATG mode with his batting in Brisbane in 17/18. He basically win the Ashes with that awesome display as he was just impassable.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In hindsight I think he went into ATG mode with his batting in Brisbane in 17/18. He basically win the Ashes with that awesome display as he was just impassable.
It was earlier than that. To me hiss legacy was cemented with his three tons in India.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Yeah, that was probably a greater achievement but that innings at the Gabba was something else. Just set the tone for the series like few batsmen could.

vcs

Smith, WAG. Can't remember a better sporting redemption story in recent times (yes, I know it wasn't his first appearance since the ban, but first Test match is close enough). Cemented his position as an ATG without doubt.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah if I was to say what his best innings from a raw batsmanship pov was, I would still say Dharamshala. That was a difficult pitch and he made it look like park cricket. Pune and the first innings here better innings overall though.