• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Steven Smith Question

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
That match where Broad took 8/15? Think Root tonned up on the same day
A very good innings but the ascendancy was very much set by Broad. May be I put it the wrong way, it is a different case when your team is down in the dumps and then some one turns up and does what Smith did yesterday and Kohli did a year back in Edgbaston.

Root is pretty much a batsman who would have done well in any era, has the game to excel everywhere but lacks that extra which would make him the best in the world.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've thought he might decline earlier rather than later, something that players with less conventional styles seem to do. Be much harder hitting through square leg off middle stump when the reflexes slow a bit. I think the stupid year took a chunk out his very best.
I reckon he’ll just change his set up. He decided to use the current one in the middle of a test match, which is itself unbelievable. He’ll probably just go back to being still and playing straighter.

h_hurricane

Hypothetically if we assume Smith goes through a decline and averages 40 for the next 100 innings(don't think Aus would put up with that kind of decline for that long though). He would still be averaging 51+ from around 220 innings.

trundler

They'd take a 40 average batsman with both hands. Look at Head, Wade and the rest. Uninspiring.

Also, Root's 100 in SL last year was series defining.

trundler

If Bradman was worth 3 Australian batsmen in his day (which he was according to Bill Woodful and stats) then Smith is worth 2.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Simpson
Hayden
Bradman
Smith
Waugh
Border
Gilchrist
Warne
Davidson
Lillee
McGrath

Bijed

International Regular
They'd take a 40 average batsman with both hands. Look at Head, Wade and the rest. Uninspiring.
Yeah, and moreover you don't bin someone for averaging a perfectly acceptable 40 for a few years just because they were previously averaging a lot higher

h_hurricane

Yeah, and moreover you don't bin someone for averaging a perfectly acceptable 40 for a few years just because they were previously averaging a lot higher
This is a very good point. I was talking about a 100 innings though. This could take 6-7 years and 40 avg may be a tad below par for that long if a fresh set of promising batsmen come through.

stephen

Can you imagine a partnership between Bradman and Smith. Border would have to declare on them every match just so there was enough time to bowl the other side out.

trundler

Ponsford
Morris
Ponting
Chappell
Trumper
Miller 2
Benaud 5
Oldfield+
Lindwall 1
Harris 3
O'Reilly 4

#BatDeep

Shri

Mr. Glass
He's an outstandingly focused and mentally strong batsman who makes the most of every inch of his abilities. I can't see how any other conclusion can be drawn. The dead track argument is so flawed it's ridiculous, because he's scored big runs on low-scoring decks and also, no else else is averaging 60 during the same era. And who gives a **** how he looks doing it. There's obviously some sort of technical efficiency in there somewhere.
his ton at pune was up there with any innings by dravid or tendulkar in the 90s tbh

stephen

Can you imagine laboring past any three of Bradman, Waugh, Smith and Border, then Gilchrist comes to the crease?
Would be totally demoralizing for the other side. Would make for a great spectacle though, especially if the other side was:

Greenidge
Haynes
Lara
Richards
Sobers
Worrell*
Dujon+
Marshall
Holding
Gibbs
Ambrose

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
A very good innings but the ascendancy was very much set by Broad. May be I put it the wrong way, it is a different case when your team is down in the dumps and then some one turns up and does what Smith did yesterday and Kohli did a year back in Edgbaston.

Root is pretty much a batsman who would have done well in any era, has the game to excel everywhere but lacks that extra which would make him the best in the world.
Root’s 2015 Ashes was something else but I would agree it falls short of what we are talking about in reference to Smith.