• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Steven Smith Question

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
His conversion rate is semi-Bradmanly. A notch above Bradmanesque. That's what puts him above the rest I've seen. When he gets to 20 there's a genuine panicky feeling that he's more likely to get a 100 than not. That's not how you feel with Kohli or Root out there.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All depends how long he plays for, you would think he could easily do 3/4 a year for the next 4 years but the year out may mean his body and mind can carry on longer than some players who retire or drop off in their early 30's and he carries on till his late 30's so could get 40/45.
I've thought he might decline earlier rather than later, something that players with less conventional styles seem to do. Be much harder hitting through square leg off middle stump when the reflexes slow a bit. I think the stupid year took a chunk out his very best.

trundler

Yeah, the previous year of Australian cricket looks wholly different with Smith there. Grr.

Spark

Global Moderator
He does give himself every single possible opportunity to not have to rely on his eye tbh, by playing so late and keeping his head so still.

It'll be his focus that determines how long he goes on. So long as he has the same preternatural ability to shut out everything but the next ball, he can play basically at a similar level for as long as he likes. I don't think it'll be much that's physical or technical that determines it, it'll be mostly mental.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Is he comfortably in Australia's ATG XI now? Since Bradman, Chappell and Ponting are there already, he will have to displace AB/Steve Waugh/any other in the middle order. I will put him there but not sure if everyone will do.
I think so.

3.Bradman
4.Chappell
5.Smith
6.Miller
7.Glichrist

Ponting unlucky to miss out since there is no way any one would have him over the ultimate no.3.

There is also a case for having AB over Miller, but that depends on who the 4 bowlers are. Quite likely that Miller's bowling may not be required in a lineup of Lillee,Mcgrath,Davidson and Warne.

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
His conversion rate is semi-Bradmanly. A notch above Bradmanesque. That's what puts him above the rest I've seen. When he gets to 20 there's a genuine panicky feeling that he's more likely to get a 100 than not. That's not how you feel with Kohli or Root out there.
You might be having this feeling probably because of his recent ODI performance where he has been getting 50s consistently without a century.

Kohli's conversion rate in tests for the last few years has been insane. On par with Steve Smith.

h_hurricane

OverratedSanity

Root gets to 50 more often than kohli which means he fails less, but kohli converts incredibly well and tons up like a madman. Smith is like a sick combo of both their strengths with none of their weaknesses.

OverratedSanity

h_hurricane

Root is clearly #4 among the fab four for me. Not able to recollect too many performances where he stood head and shoulders above the rest.

h_hurricane

The 2018 average undersells him on first glance. He "only" averaged 47 and 59 on the sa and England tours but looking at the rest of the batsmen's numbers from both those series puts into perspective how incredible he was.
Clearly. He was easily the best batsman on show on both these series.

trundler

Yeah you guys are right but Smith has done that for longer and better, basically. Kohli was incredible last year, better than anyone else.

vcs

Root is clearly #4 among the fab four for me. Not able to recollect too many performances where he stood head and shoulders above the rest.
That match where Broad took 8/15? Think Root tonned up on the same day