• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** - The Big One : Zimbabwe in South Africa

Heboric

International Debutant
Sick and tired of The Ashes where ones ear drums are bombarded with commentators screaming in the mike thinking its WWE or something. Not liking the never-ending India vs Sri Lanka matches.

Here is a series so awesome, if it was a YouTube clip it would have 'best ever', 'history', 'in the world' and at least five exclamation marks in the title.

Fixtures

Wed Dec 20 - Fri Dec 22 15:30 local (13:30 GMT)
Cricket South Africa Invitation XI v Zimbabwe Boland Park, Paarl D/N

Tue Dec 26 - Fri Dec 29 13:30 local (11:30 GMT)
Only Test - South Africa v Zimbabwe St George's Park, Port Elizabeth
South African squad

Faf du Plessis (Titans, captain), Hashim Amla (Cape Cobras), Temba Bavuma (Cape Cobras), Quinton de Kock (Titans), Theunis de Bruyn (Knights), AB de Villiers (Titans), Dean Elgar (Titans), Keshav Maharaj (Dolphins), Aiden Markram (Titans), Morne Morkel (Titans), Andile Phehlukwayo (Dolphins), Vernon Philander (Cape Cobras), Kagiso Rabada (Highveld Lions), Dale Steyn (Titans).

Zimbabwe squad

Graeme Cremer (capt), Hamilton Masakadza, Craig Ervine, Brendan Taylor, Chamunorwa Chibhabha, Regis Chakabva, Sikandar Raza, Ryan Burl, Tendai Chatara, Blessing Muzarabani, Tendai Chisoro, Peter Moor, Solomon Mire, Kyle Jarvis, Chris Mpofu
Revised SA Invitation XI squad

Dominic Hendricks (Highveld Lions, captain), Temba Bavuma (Cape Cobras), Tladi Bokako (Warriors), Michael Cohen (Cape Cobras), Isaac Dikgale (NW), Leus du Plooy (Knights), Dayyaan Galiem (Western Province), Zubayr Hamza (Cape Cobras), Kagiso Rapulana (NW), Kelly Smuts (Warriors), Dale Steyn (Titans), Ricardo Vasconcelos (Boland), Shaun von Berg (Titans), Lizaad Williams (Cape Cobras)
AB pulled out of Invitational squad

It will have some firsts - First 4 day test and South Africas first Day/Night test.

Hopefully the return of Dale Steyn.

Are you ready !!!!!

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
First test cricket was being stabbed in the back

This is the first stab in it's face.

Heboric

International Debutant
I am no fan of CSA, but maybe if BCCI didnt shaft South Africa for the umpteenth time, this 4 day test would never happen.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Another disgraceful attempt in cutting down the entertainment of the greatest format of sports.

I mean if you want to make changes do so for LOIs, don't mess with the tradition.

Bring down the T20, to T10, no on cares, but Tests an entire day is cut down?

This all started with the Indians winning that hit and miss T20 tournament in 2007 and the sick IPL that followed, an year after.

SeamUp

International Coach
98-overs in a day even. So in total 50-overs is lost :laugh:

The sooner this is all over the better. No disrespect to Zimbabwe meant.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Just to play devils advocate... 5 day test have only been around for 35 years or so (if my history is right?). It used to be anything from 3 to 6 days before that?

I don't like it, I'm used to 5 days and the 5th day normally brings great drama... but still not actually the end of Test cricket here.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Looking at the SA squad, it is pretty good, full squad. Which I'm surprised at. Only thing is Phehlukwayo being there, which is fine, but I hope he is not picked for the team. Interesting to see Faf there considering he did not think he would be playing?

Gnske

Looking at the SA squad, it is pretty good, full squad. Which I'm surprised at. Only thing is Phehlukwayo being there, which is fine, but I hope he is not picked for the team. Interesting to see Faf there considering he did not think he would be playing?
Must be going down to the wire with his fitness I guess

SeamUp

International Coach
Very surprised. Was reading reliable articles this morning and they were saying it was extremely doubtful he would make the squad and they did say the only bowling concern was Morris who picked up a groin strain in the final. Hence pulling him out the invitational team and bringing Galiem in.

Starfighter

Just to play devils advocate... 5 day test have only been around for 35 years or so (if my history is right?). It used to be anything from 3 to 6 days before that? .
Five day tests have been standard in Australia since the war and in England since 1950. Three days was standard in England until the 1930 Ashes, from then Ashes tests became four days (due to four draws in 1926), and five after the war. The series against NZ in 1949 was the last three test series (all drawn). Matches were up to six days in the West Indies until the 72/73 series against Australia. The last six day test, the last of a five test series against NZ in 71/72, was drawn. The last four day series played was Pakistan vs NZ in 1969.
Playing times have also varied, between five (I think) and six and a half hours, which was important when teams played only to the clock.

It should be borne in mind that 120 overs a day was standard until the mid fifties in a six hour day (20 overs an hour) whereas these days 90 over a day is standard in six and a half hours (13.8 overs an hour). 13 an hour was common in the eighties, and lower has occurred in a few matches. Shows how bad over rates still are, too much fiddling around between balls.

In terms of overs, this match will be 392 overs. A normal test is 450 overs, and was as much as about 600 (or more) overs in the forties, before bottoming out around 390 overs at the exceptional worst (I doubt the actual number ever really got below 400).

Edit: I was wrong about the WI match lengths. Matches seem to vary a bit and the 64/65 series vs Aus was the last six day series. From then on only the last match was six days in some circumstances.

Last edited:

Heboric

International Debutant
Must be going down to the wire with his fitness I guess
I think they are giving him until tomorrow ... But I am pretty sure he wont be playing

SeamUp

International Coach
I think they are giving him until tomorrow ... But I am pretty sure he wont be playing
No games under his belt either. Which is supposedly against CSA protocol.

The news coming out was they were meant to have a tele-conference tomorrow (Gibson,Moosajee,selectors) and only announce the squad on Friday.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Could the South African squad is also be the squad for India? That might explain why Du Plessis is included, as they would expect him to be fit by then.

And I don't know if we've really been given any hint as to what they'll go with for number 7 - batsman or all-rounder, as the squad has options for either.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Very surprised. Was reading reliable articles this morning and they were saying it was extremely doubtful he would make the squad and they did say the only bowling concern was Morris who picked up a groin strain in the final. Hence pulling him out the invitational team and bringing Galiem in.
I think Phehlukwayo is only in because of that Morris injury -- the mail on the squad beforehand probably had Morris included.

SeamUp

International Coach
I think Phehlukwayo is only in because of that Morris injury -- the mail on the squad beforehand probably had Morris included.
Defo. Two reasons for me make me think Gibson is excited to work with Morris more.

1) He got him to join the test group in Potch vs Bangladesh when he was no where near ready to be fit, just to talk to him about his action.

2) He was in the invitational team to play Zimbabwe and prove fitness for the test squad along with Steyn, AB and Bavuma.

MediumFast

Cricket Spectator
I really hope they play all 4 quicks in PE. That would be the sensible option in my opinion which would allow all of them to get some miles and Test match bowling into the legs without too much risk.