• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The lack of competitiveness of Test teams away from home

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Which makes the ability to hold games for draws all the more vital.
It's a lot harder to hold out for a draw if you're starting the 3rd innings 250 in arrears on the 4th afternoon rather than the 5th morning. Bat out 70 overs and score 220/7 in the latter scenario, congratulations, a good battling draw. Do it in the former scenario and the game's a lost cause, you're doing well if you get the opposition openers to get the pads back on to smash the winning 3 runs.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Attitude does matter. There was a big difference in how Sri Lanka approached a dire cause in the 2nd Test recently (daft slogging) vs. the third Test. They saved the latter match. There was a difference (3rd innings vs. 4th innings scenario as Furball pointed out above) but still.

cnerd123

likes this
^ that's also a good reason. A lot of the times all the effort put into trying to get a draw just leads to a loss anyways but by a smaller margin. A loss is a loss, why work hard to just lose by less? Cop the innings thrashing and move on.

vcs

Going out to bat in the 3rd innings with a 200+ run deficit is probably the single worst position to be in a Test match.

Spark

Global Moderator
Going out to bat in the 3rd innings with a 200+ run deficit is probably the single worst position to be in a Test match.
Disagree, you could be going out to bowl in the 3rd innings with a 200+ run deficit. Against David Warner.

Slifer

International Captain
I'm just glad that Australia isn't using this Ashes result as some sign that they are returning to an era of dominance like they did last time (plus the away win in RSA).

OverratedSanity

I'm just glad that Australia isn't using this Ashes result as some sign that they are returning to an era of dominance like they did last time (plus the away win in RSA).
I think it's probably a little more valid this time than in 2014 though. People saying it back then were genuinely delusional because most of Australia's best players were nearing the end.

Almost the entire team right now is young and in it's prime. They're in all likelihood not going to be 2000s Australia (or atleast I ****ing hope not) but they could be a great team for sure.

vcs

The bowling looks fantastic (though I'm not convinced Lyon's form won't drop off by this time next year :p), but lots of unanswered questions about the batting lineup. Not convinced they are significantly better than 2014 yet, but it is true that their main players are still quite young or in their prime.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Still far too many questions about the batting, and without a good batting lineup it's impossible to build consistency.

Daemon

They recently lost to Bangladesh ffs, lets put the domination talk aside for now

Slifer

International Captain
They recently lost to Bangladesh ffs, lets put the domination talk aside for now
Thank you. And before that they got swept by SL and mauled by RSA. Tbh Australia 's recent results have been business as usual: dominated Eng and PAK at home, lose away to India and they'll probably be competitive away to RSA yet again. Loss to Bangladesh was lol worthy though.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I think it's good that Australian isn't getting carried away. I hope Steve realises that there's a lot of work to be done ahead in terms of our overseas record

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Slightly off-topic but I like reading about those old uncovered games where captains did things like reverse the batting order on a sticky dog, basically turning the team into one big nightwatchman.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
IMO this has been a big problem with the English and Australian teams in particular. Way overcoached to play a certain way and execute certain plans, hopeless at adapting to new and unusual/extreme conditions. It's the main thing I hope Smith as captain imbues in the Australian team.
Steven Smith being the exception. He's the single most adaptable batter I've ever seen. Adjusts his technique mid-innings. He's a crazy mofo.

morgieb

Thank you. And before that they got swept by SL and mauled by RSA. Tbh Australia 's recent results have been business as usual: dominated Eng and PAK at home, lose away to India and they'll probably be competitive away to RSA yet again. Loss to Bangladesh was lol worthy though.
Meh, I think you're underestimating Bangladesh at home.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Well, since the end of the great SA side, Pakistan had fared ok under Misbah in away tests before it all came to an end losing to NZ (the first time in 30 years I believe) and Aus (to be expected). England too, have found a bit of hope away, in beating SA, which should not be overlooked but yes, in general terms, the likes of the Windies, the Aussies and the SA teams that won consistently away, no longer exist.

A major problem is that the quality of players just isn't there. SA had at times a prime Steyn and morkel, complimented by Pollock and later Philander. They also had a behemoth batting unit with Smith, Amla, ABD, Kallis and co. Aus and Windies were even better. Pakistan in the 80s with their ability to win in Asia and outside of it were built on the back of gutsy batsmen like Miandad and Khan, and tremendous fast bowling...Khan's name pops up again.

That quality is not present right now, or for the last couple of years to be exact. This Aus side might develop with Starc just hitting his peak, Hazlewood following suit and the batting unit hopefully maturing. SA will be losing Amla and ABD in the coming years and I don't see who can replace them. England need a more well rounded bowling attack and Pakistan have a massive rebuilding job on their hands.

The question remains on India, who have never been the best tourists but can a batting unit of Kohli, Pujara, Rahul and co put on enough runs against the tired Steyn and Morkel? Can their bowlers finally back up the runs? This series will tell us a lot on whether or not India finally have a team that can create a test dynasty.