• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Starc v. Wagner

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I mean, Starc is a better bowler on almost every level. We're talking a bloke who bowls booming 150km/h inswinging yorkers on cue, against a guy who bowls 135ish and has yet to discover that you can, in fact, pitch the ball in the same half as the batsman. On talent, on ceiling, Starc is miles ahead.

But I'm going Wagner, because he's wrung every drop of talent out of himself and left it about halfway down the pitch. He keeps doing what works for him, whether he's on 7-fer or going at 7s. He keeps running in, no matter what, and he's found a way to be a genuine world class bowler when he probably shouldn't be much more than a solid third seamer.

Starc still feels so unfulfilled -- which seems harsh given that he's got 150+ at 27, calls Australian highways home, and has dragged the average down massively in the past couple of years -- but it's hard for me not to think that a guy with his talents should be doing so much more. Maybe it's the point Spark made in the Ashes thread -- he can't really bowl defensively/in partnerships, so there's an argument that he makes the attack less than the sum of its parts by putting extra pressure on the others.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Starc by some distance.

Stats are one thing but when you actually watch them, Starc has all the tools of the trade, pace, bounce, swing, old ball and new ball trickery. He just needs to be a bit more consistent and replicate his ODI form in tests.

wagner has done well and often punches above his weight, especially in SA where I thought he had a couple of good spells but he doesnt have the versatility of Starc.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Wagner more consistent, Starc more destructive.

Will pick Wagner for now. Expect Starc to go down as the VVS or KP of bowlers, a bowler of great spells than a great bowler.

Flem274*

123/5
oh yeah, not discounting starc's class at all. i was a doubter but he's finally delivering. will be fun watching these two battle it out for left arm penis length comparisons this series.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think I mentioned it after NZ's first innings or something - Starc's the best bowler in the world after Cummins right now. Something's just clicked in him and he's on absolute fire, only this time it's consistent.

Doubt it will last though, he'll probably get injured again or randomly start bowling like a drain.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Wagner's really good but Starc has so much more potential and has similar figures despite not even hitting his peak yet. Does anyone see Wagner actually getting better from here? I certainly don't, while Starc, barring injury has only just begun hitting his stride.
Wagner has got better since this post.

vcs

I've always underestimated Wagner because he's not ***y to watch. Terrific bowler though. He's done a tough role and still managed to be his team's most consistent and reliable wicket taker. Would put him ahead of Starc on the basis of his body of work over the past few years, with the caveat that I'd like to see more of him away from home.

TheJediBrah

I'm not a fan of Starc at all but this is depressing when you see a serious comparison between a guy who can bowl unplayable 155kph inswinging yorkers and a guy who's main wicket-taking avenue is 125kph half trackers that bore a batsman who's looking for quick runs into hitting a catch to deep square leg.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I feel that this whole thread is essentially a stylistic debate on whether you prefer bouncers to yorkers. On a rather meta-level but still

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It occurred to me when watching the last test that Wagner is the closest you can get these days to a leg theory bowler in the mould of Bill Voce. I think his lack of pace actually helps him as the batsmen will tend to hit him square or slightly forward of square, rather than fine, a lot of the time so he doesn't need more than two behind the square leg umpire. While it is somewhat amusing watching him take wickets like this I've come to the same conclusion that people did in the thirties and fifties, that the sort of cricket produced is actually quite tedious and borders on the farcical at times.

vcs

Looking at Starc's numbers though, for all his red-ball inconsistency, they're still really really good. 238 wickets, SR of 48, 13 5fers, 2 10fers. He has an excellent chance of finishing as an ATG or just below if he has a few more killer series in India/England/SA.