• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest all-rounder pre-Sobers

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Batting
Frank Worrell
Vijay Hazare
Frank Woolley
Gilbert Jessop
Wilfred Rhodes
Dattu Phadkar
Len Braund
Alan Davidson

Bowling
Alan Davidson
Wilfred Rhodes
Frank Woolley
Dattu Phadkar
Len Braund
Frank Worrell
Gilbert Jessop
Vijay Hazare

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Miller played 40 of his 55 tests before Sober's debut, and his career ended when Sobers had played 9 tests, so I would say he is pre-Sobers.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Miller played 40 of his 55 tests before Sober's debut, and his career ended when Sobers had played 9 tests, so I would say he is pre-Sobers.
Yeah Sobers wasn't a particularly good cricketer before 1958. Miller's career finished in 1956.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Glad to see the debate is live and well but we've had only two voters so far. Throw em down lads!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Speaking personally I think the method of voting is putting people off. Ranking them twice like that isn't necessarily the best way to list all rounders and it may well be a straight pick 4 from 8 would attract more people to vote?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know a few cricketers shortlisted so I think it's best to abstain from voting. I will vote in future rounds if we are down to players I have some information on.

a massive zebra

International Captain
POT A

Len Braund
Alan Davidson
Vijay Hazare
Gilbert Jessop
Dattu Phadkar
Wilfred Rhodes
Frank Woolley
Frank Worrell
Batting

Hazare
Worrell
Woolley
Jessop
Phadkar
Rhodes
Braund
Davidson

Bowling

Rhodes
Davidson
Woolley
Phadhar
Braund
Jessop
Worrell
Hazare

bagapath

International Captain
Batting

Worrell
Hazare
Woolley
Rhodes
Jessop
Phadkar
Braund
Davidson

Bowling

Rhodes
Davidson
Woolley
Phadhar
Braund
Jessop
Worrell
Hazare

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
4 voters so far. Seems this thread is just barely alive. If anyone else out there wants to join in and keep the thread going, by all means cast your votes!

Admittedly this a rather thorough method of ranking, it was always intended for the more hardcore old-timey cricket fans. However, we'll end up with a fairly definitive ranking system if it gets done.

kingkallis

International Coach
Batting:
Frank Worrell
Vijay Hazare
Frank Woolley
Gilbert Jessop
Wilfred Rhodes
Dattu Phadkar
Len Braund
Alan Davidson

Bowling:
Alan Davidson
Wilfred Rhodes
Frank Woolley
Dattu Phadkar
Len Braund
Frank Worrell
Gilbert Jessop
Vijay Hazare

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Points Update

Woolley 53

Rhodes 48
-----------------------
Worrell 40
Davidson 33
Hazare 30
Phadkar 28
Jessop 27
Braund 21

Well, that's five voters... and Davidson is in trouble!! so far his batting has really weighted him down. Looking to get at least 10 voters before moving on to pot B. If not I'll retire the concept.